Black_cats

Dec 31, 2010
Bangladesh seeks Japanese support to manufacture automobiles

INDUSTRY
TBS Report
31 August, 2020, 09:25 pm
Last modified: 31 August, 2020, 09:30 pm

The Automobile Industry Development Policy 2020 will be finalised very soon

Industries Minister Nurul Majid Mahmud Humayun has requested Japan to provide necessary supports to Bangladesh in manufacturing automobiles of its own brand.
The minister said, "Progoti Industries, a state-owned company, wants to manufacture its own automobiles with the help of Mitsubishi Corporation of Japan."

The industries minister made the remarks on Monday at his office during a bilateral meeting with Japanese Ambassador to Dhaka ITO Naoki.

The officials from the Ministry of Industry and the Embassy of Japan attended the meeting, according to a press release.

The minister said, "The Automobile Industry Development Policy 2020 will be finalised very soon. It will open up opportunities for technical assistance from foreign companies in the sector."

The meeting further discussed issues related to creation of industrial database, modernisation of motorcycle industry, and development of vendor industry related to automobile and light engineering industries in Bangladesh, read the press release.

Japan has primarily issued it approval to set up an automobile testing and research institute for motorcycle certification and to provide technical assistance in setting up an industrial university, the press release said.

The minister said, "Japanese entrepreneurs have important contributions to the socio-economic development and industrialisation of Bangladesh. And Japan has been providing technical assistance to the country's fertiliser factories for a long time."

Nurul Majid Mahmud Humayun also drew attention of the Japanese ambassador to invest in modernisation of state-owned sugar mills, setting up of agro-based industries, processing of agricultural products and food, development of light engineering industries and the development of vendors for small and medium enterprises.

The ambassador then said Japanese automobile entrepreneurs are interested in increasing investment in Bangladesh.

He also assured that Japan will provide technical assistance in the production of Bangladesh's own automobile brand.

ITO Naoki also suggested setting up a reasonable amount of registration fee for the development of the motorcycle industry.
He said, "Bilateral dialogue needs to be intensified to increase Japanese investment in Bangladesh. We need to work together to identify emerging sectors for investment."
To increase Japanese investment, the ambassador also stressed tax incentives, adequate land allocation and other opportunities.

Michael Corleone

Oct 27, 2014
Country
Bangladesh
Mitsubishi is a dead automobile company, what’s bd even thinking? Toyota is the forerunner in renewable energy cars that Bangladesh seeks to introduce. Start with Toyota or Nissan license production

mb444

Apr 18, 2012
Country
United Kingdom
Mitsubishi is leaving UK. They only have one vehicle that they are able to sell here....the outlander phev....it is the best in its class....otherwise the rest of their range is rubbish.
Regardless they are a global company and there are many things we can learn from them. I would not write them off.

bluesky

ELITE MEMBER
Jun 14, 2016
Country
Bangladesh
Mitsubishi is a dead automobile company, what’s bd even thinking? Toyota is the forerunner in renewable energy cars that Bangladesh seeks to introduce. Start with Toyota or Nissan license production
You can take the horse to the pond. What if the horse does not drink the water? Toyota or Nissan may not be responsive if it is BD. Toyota is very selective and Nissan has purchased land in MM for its next plant.

NISSAN selected MM because of the ASEAN market, Toyota has three plants in Thailand and it may be thinking BD market will remain small because of a weak economy and the roads are too bad for people to purchase cars in a scale that makes it profitable. People's purchasing power also remains at the bottom.

I have reasons to believe Mitsubishi will assemble trucks which are in a big demand in BD and is expanding every year. Mitsubishi Fuso trucks are very reliable and compete with other big names like Nissan, Hino and others in Japan. However, its passenger car market is very small.

Imran Khan

PDF VETERAN
Oct 18, 2007
Country
Pakistan
once japs mafia will capture you guys you will miss old days . they are pure mafia they will bribe politicians make laws in fever and never let you guys escape . take care before its too late

Michael Corleone

Oct 27, 2014
Country
Bangladesh
You can take the horse to the pond. What if the horse does not drink the water? Toyota or Nissan may not be responsive if it is BD. Toyota is very selective and Nissan has purchased land in MM for its next plant.

NISSAN selected MM because of the ASEAN market, Toyota has three plants in Thailand and it may be thinking BD market will remain small because of a weak economy and the roads are too bad for people to purchase cars in a scale that makes it profitable. People's purchasing power also remains at the bottom.

I have reasons to believe Mitsubishi will assemble trucks which are in a big demand in BD and is expanding every year. Mitsubishi Fuso trucks are very reliable and compete with other big names like Nissan, Hino and others in Japan. However, its passenger car market is very small.
Here it talks about passenger vehicles
Rn Mitsubishi trucks and suv are assembled in bd. It would be good to manufacture their tough duty stuff

Destranator

Jul 20, 2018
Country
Bangladesh
once japs mafia will capture you guys you will miss old days . they are pure mafia they will bribe politicians make laws in fever and never let you guys escape . take care before its too late
Huh?

Where has this happened before post-WW2?

Japanese-led/financed projects tend to be the cleanest and fastest in BD.

Destranator

Jul 20, 2018
Country
Bangladesh
We cannot afford to be picky here. If Mitsubishi invests here, the others may follow.

We have got to move the capital out of Dhaka and decentralise governance and industries in order to be able to scrap the insane duty rates on cars.

Last edited:

DalalErMaNodi

May 12, 2020
Country
Bangladesh
We cannot afford to be picky here. If the Mitsubishi invests here, the others may follow.

We have got to move the capital out of Dhaka and decentralise governance and industries in order to be able to scrap the insane duty rates on cars.
Come 2041, we will be Shonar Bangla, it's only fitting that our capital be the royal district of Noakhali.

Atlas

Aug 2, 2018
Country
Bangladesh
Do not worry sir , Bangladesh is almost free from politicians . And after next election there shall be no creature named politician in Bangladesh I hope . At worst they can give bribe to bureaucrats.

bluesky

ELITE MEMBER
Jun 14, 2016
Country
Bangladesh
Here it talks about passenger vehicles
Rn Mitsubishi trucks and suv are assembled in bd. It would be good to manufacture their tough duty stuff
Please read the news in the post #1. I have just re-read it. It says nothing but our minister Humayun as always was talking about Mitsubishi and it was in the presence of the Japanese Ambassador. He, in his turn, said nothing about Mitsubishi investment.

So, I believe, this is another Baat ki Baat style of talking without an essence. Mitsubishi company must talk about it and not our ministers and not even the Japanese Ambassador. Any Japanese company follows its business policy. GoJ has nothing to do with it.

I thought, Mitsubishi will running towards BD. Now, I find our minister is forecasting as usual.

Michael Corleone

Oct 27, 2014
Country
Bangladesh
Please read the news in the post #1. I have just re-read it. It says nothing but our minister Humayun as always was talking about Mitsubishi and it was in the presence of the Japanese Ambassador. He, in his turn, said nothing about Mitsubishi investment.

So, I believe, this is another Baat ki Baat style of talking without an essence. Mitsubishi company must talk about it and not our ministers and not even the Japanese Ambassador. Any Japanese company follows its business policy. GoJ has nothing to do with it.

I thought, Mitsubishi will running towards BD. Now, I find our minister is forecasting as usual.
Yeah, no way Mitsubishi will expand, they’re doing the opposite. They’re content with making some crossovers and giving up n SUV market (pajero is no more a body on frame design)

Black_cats

Dec 31, 2010

bluesky

ELITE MEMBER
Jun 14, 2016
Country
Bangladesh
It is a good news that I missed before. Sorry! However, I must say only a few passenger cars of this company is popular in Japan. One is Pajero SUV car which is popular.

However, its commercial vehicles, bus, truck and utility vehicles, are very popular and have a big market. So, instead of producing odd-looking cars, I would like it to assemble more of these units in BD.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)