What's new

Bangladesh Mega Projects - Part 1 Under Construction

UKBengali

ELITE MEMBER
May 29, 2011
Country
Bangladesh
As promised to @Viet I am going to be looking at the infrastructure build up in BD. The first thread is all about the Mega Projects currently under construction. While there is no actual definition of what a "Mega Project" actually is, I will stick with anything that has a value of 1 billion US dollar or more.

1. Roopur Nuclear Power Plant

Cost is around 13 billion US dollars with 11 billion as loan from Russia. The two units of 1.2GW each will come into operation in 2023 and 2024, with work having started in 2017.

upload_2019-5-6_14-1-11.jpeg

2. Padma Bridge

Solely funded by BD to the tune of 4 billion US dollars due to World Bank refusing to loan money to government on corruption allegations.

This bridge will finally link SW BD with the rest of the country by road, rail, telecommunications and also energy links. Work started back in 2014 and is due to be finished by end of 2020

upload_2019-5-6_14-34-49.jpeg

3. Padma Bridge Railway

Mainly being funded by Chinese soft loan to the tune of 2.7 billion US dollars with a total cost of around 3.5 billion. Work started last year and is due to be completed by middle of 2022.

4. Dhaka Metro

The first line being built is Line 6(there will be 5 in total by 2035) may start initial operations this year and be fully complete by 2020. Japan is funding the 3 billion US dollar line to the tune of 2 billion dollars with very soft loan of 0.1% interest, 10 year grace period and repayable over 40 years

upload_2019-5-6_14-36-46.jpeg

5. Dhaka Elevated Expressway

This much delayed project is now progressing very quickly and is due to start partial operation in 2020 and be fully complete by 2021. The 20km expressway will cost nearly 2 billion US dollars and funded from various sources like China,ICBC and BD government.

upload_2019-5-6_14-38-37.jpeg

6. Matarbari Coal Plant and Port

This 1.2 GW plant will also have it's own port to allow coal to be imported to power it.
Japan will provide 3.5 billion US dollars in soft loans out of 4.5 billion total cost.
Work started in 2018 and is due to be complete by 2023.

upload_2019-5-6_14-38-58.jpeg

7. Karnaphuli tunnel

This project of just over 1 billion US dollars will be mostly funded by Chinese soft loan.
The tunnel will reduce the distance by road between Chittagong and Cox’s Bazar, also easing the heavy traffic bound for the port-city from Dhaka. Work started in 2017 and is due for completion by 2022.

upload_2019-5-6_14-40-28.jpeg

8. Payra Coal Fired Power Plant

1.32 GW power plant being built by China. The cost of 2 billion US dollars has been borne by Chinese soft loan. The plant should be fully ready for operation this year.

upload_2019-5-6_14-44-12.jpeg

Please feel free to add any others I may have missed.

Attachments

Viet

ELITE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2012
Country
Viet Nam
Vietnamese companies carry out many infra projects in Myanmar. I think it’s a matter of time when they come to BD.

:tup:

UKBengali

ELITE MEMBER
May 29, 2011
Country
Bangladesh
Vietnamese companies carry out many infra projects in Myanmar. I think it’s a matter of time when they come to BD.

What kind of experience do they have?

BD does not have that much experience in large infrastructure projects but the country will have more and more ability to fund projects by itself and so could hire anyone for the work.

Vietnam may be able to get work worth many billions of US dollars in return for passing on skills to BD.

Viet

ELITE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2012
Country
Viet Nam
What kind of experience do they have?

BD does not have that much experience in large infrastructure projects but the country will have more and more ability to fund projects by itself and so could hire anyone for the work.

Vietnam may be able to get work worth many billions of US dollars in return for passing on skills to BD.
Basically everything from construction, mobile telecom infrastructure, manufacturing, farming, agra technology, bridges, highways, subway, car and bus manufacturing, etc

the tallest tower in SE Asia: landmark 81

Cable car, one of the longest in the world

UKBengali

ELITE MEMBER
May 29, 2011
Country
Bangladesh
Basically everything from construction, mobile telecom infrastructure, manufacturing, farming, agra technology, bridges, highways, subway, car and bus manufacturing, etc

the tallest tower in SE Asia: landmark 81

Cable car, one of the longest in the world

Looks like an area where BD and Vietnam co-operation could grow quite a lot over the next 1-2 decades.

BD literally is being built from the ground up as so little has been spent on infrastructure in the last 48 years since independence. Only a few years ago infrastructure spending as percentage of GDP was 3% and now it is at 6%. The current boom can last for another 2 decades and there would still be lots of things that need to be built.

Viet

ELITE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2012
Country
Viet Nam
Looks like an area where BD and Vietnam co-operation could grow quite a lot over the next 1-2 decades.

BD literally is being built from the ground up as so little has been spent on infrastructure in the last 48 years since independence. Only a few years ago infrastructure spending as percentage of GDP was 3% and now it is at 6%. The current boom can last for another 2 decades and there would still be lots of things that need to be built.
You should do more to promote BD abroad. I mean more ads more trade promotions and so. Vietnamese don’t know much about BD. VN companies have invested $2.1 billion in Myanmar. Viettel builds 4g. Company as Eurowindows that makes windows and facades for office towers plans to open two factories in Myanmar.

Guests browsing Eurowindow products at the company’s launch event

Buddhistforlife

Jul 10, 2018
Country
Nepal

Why did you all of a sudden bring Myanmar in this thread? Do you want to start a keyboard war of some sort? This thread is about Bangladesh and Myanmar is irrelevant here.

UKBengali

ELITE MEMBER
May 29, 2011
Country
Bangladesh
Why did you all of a sudden bring Myanmar in this thread? Do you want to start a keyboard war of some sort? This thread is about Bangladesh and Myanmar is irrelevant here.

It was relevant as I asked if Vietnamese companies had experience in big infrastructure projects. Bringing in Myanmar showed experience overseas.

Viet

ELITE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2012
Country
Viet Nam
It was relevant as I asked if Vietnamese companies had experience in big infrastructure projects. Bringing in Myanmar showed experience overseas.
Vietnam is a late comer, just venturing to overseas recently. BD may be interested of food security. Vietnamese companies are very active in farming of all sorts, possessing large land mass in Cambodia, Laos, Canada, Australia

or Russia:
Vietnamese diary company TH Milk invests $2.7 billion in cow and milk production. With giant farms in many parts of Russia, 450,000 milk cows in total. That’s a lot.

Mrs. Thai Huong along with Moscow Governor Vorobjov Andrey Yurovich
https://russiabusinesstoday.com/agr...7bn-russia-investment-with-u-s-imported-cows/

I mentioned MY because of close proximity to BD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom