What's new

Bangladesh begins construction of "international standard" cruise ships

PoondolotoPandalum

Jun 24, 2021
Country
Bangladesh

Nice to see a slightly more sophisticated class of vessels built at our shipyards. These cruise ships will be popular with domestic tourists. Perhaps even attract potential customers.

Btw by cruise ships, don't imagine large transcontinental cruise ships/liners. They're probably similar to a medium-sized ferry I'm guessing. I'm guessing between 8000-15,000 tones, based on the capacity of our current shipyards. I could be mistaken. Please share any info you may have pertaining to these vessels, and the maximum capacity of our shipyards. I think the larges ship built-in BD was 8000 tones.

As an engineer, I'll always have a heavy engineering bias, so the shipbuilding sector is perhaps the most interesting to me, out of all the emerging industries in BD. They used to face challenges with unreliable electricity, and a lack of local steel mills (a lot of them closed). But now energy is of abundance, and we have pretty good processed steel plants like GPH Ispat.

bluesky

ELITE MEMBER
Jun 14, 2016
Country
Bangladesh
"State Minister for Shipping Khalid Mahmud Chowdhury told Dhaka Tribune that they expect to launch these vessels by 2023. “It will not only expand the country's tourism industry but also will play a special role in the economy.”

The above is a part of the news. So, it is the govt of Bd who is building the ships.

Do you guys really think these ships will develop international tourism centered on BD? Do you really expect foreigners to travel by such a ship from this country when there is almost no tourist arrival?

However, I believe many newly rich people of BD would happily travel via this kind of ship. It will be the same as Cox's Bazaar, with no foreigners but many local tourists.

The world is already full of many beautiful cruise ships catered for the very rich Europeans, Americans, Japanese, and the likes.

1632745153692.png

1632744833611.png
1632744882066.png
1632745021029.png

1632745089434.png

Last edited:

PoondolotoPandalum

Jun 24, 2021
Country
Bangladesh
"State Minister for Shipping Khalid Mahmud Chowdhury told Dhaka Tribune that they expect to launch these vessels by 2023. “It will not only expand the country's tourism industry but also will play a special role in the economy.”

The above is a part of the news. So, it is the govt of Bd who is building the ships.

Do you guys really think these ships will develop international tourism centered on BD? Do you really expect foreigners to travel by such a ship from this country when there is almost no tourist arrival?

However, I believe many newly rich people of BD would happily travel via this kind of ship. It will be the same as Cox's Bazaar, with no foreigners but many local tourists.

The world is already full of many beautiful cruise ships catered for the very rich Europeans, Americans, Japanese, and the likes.

View attachment 780454

View attachment 780449 View attachment 780451 View attachment 780452
View attachment 780453
As I said, most likely for the domestic market for local cruises across the Bay of Bengal most likely. No one said anything about an international tourist destination or a hub. I know Cox Bazaar is being heavily invested for such a purpose, but that's a long way away, and no one knows how it'll work out. But there's probably a market for domestic cruises across regional waters. In the same way, river launches are still very popular today, in spite of better roads, bridges, bus networks, and regional flights. Some people just like cruises

And by foreign interests, it can be small regional cruise operators operating in a similar business model to Bangladeshi ones. In the same way, Danish and German ferry companies have ordered ferries from BD shipyards in the past. Won't make us a major player in the international merchant navy industry. But it at least expands our portfolio

Last edited:

bluesky

ELITE MEMBER
Jun 14, 2016
Country
Bangladesh
As I said, most likely for the domestic market for local cruises across the Bay of Bengal most likely. No one said anything about an international tourist destination or a hub. I know Cox Bazaar is being heavily invested for such a purpose, but that's a long way away, and no one knows how it'll work out. But there's probably a market for domestic cruises across regional waters. In the same way, river launches are still very popular today, in spite of better roads, bridges, bus networks, and regional flights. Some people just like cruises

And by foreign interests, it can be small regional cruise operators operating in a similar business model to Bangladeshi ones. In the same way, Danish and German ferry companies have ordered ferries from BD shipyards in the past. Won't make us a major player in the international merchant navy industry. But it at least expands our portfolio
If it is the GoB who has ordered to build cruise ships in the expectation of expanding tourism. As usual, it will be another "White Elephant", the same as BIMAN or Bangladesh Railway or all those Jute Mills.

If nowhere is any talk of foreign tourists, it is also that nowhere someone said it is for local tourists. By the tone of our great minister, the cruises are for foreigners.

It does not matter. The issue is if the cruises can do business.

Our own rich tourists can travel to some destinations around the BoB and with visas can also travel to SL, the Maldives, Morissus, Indian coasts, or Indonesia/ Bali.

They have time, money, wine, and women to accompany them!! Foreigners will not like our Desi food or the noisy atmosphere aboard the ships.

Last edited:

mb444

Apr 18, 2012
Country
United Kingdom

View attachment 780454

View attachment 780449 View attachment 780451 View attachment 780452
View attachment 780453
I do not think there is anything wrong in prioritising local tourism...

Local tourism has infact greater payout in terms of GDP. The customer is already familiar will local conditions so no need to cater for additional requirements such as world class infastructure etc

As we develop it is a natural area to exploit

Bilal9

ELITE MEMBER
Feb 4, 2014
Country
Bangladesh
I am looking at this from an angle of increasing expertise for local yards and providing employment to welders and shipyard managers/workers. We need to keep the expertise local and add value, whether by the govt. or by foreign buyers.

By the way- KDDL is improving their infra in a massive way. They contracted recently with Kunwha and DY Engg. of Korea to expand their Drydock capability,

They have several large ships they have built over the years

They are expanding two Jetties near the drydock as well (as part of it). See render above.

Indos

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Jul 25, 2013
Country
Indonesia
BD should have many ships like this for rich torurist from BD and surrounding countries (Pakistan/India) in Sundarban. It will be a thrill experience as we can be very near tigers in their wild life while keep being save

This is in Labuan Bajo, Indonesia, many ships like this can be found to be rent for 2-4 days

Oct 27, 2014
Country
Bangladesh
BD should have many ships like this for rich torurist from BD and surrounding countries (Pakistan/India) in Sundarban. It will be a thrill experience as we can be very near tigers in their wild life while keep being save

This is in Labuan Bajo, Indonesia, many ships like this can be found to be rent for 2-4 days

I rather not have people capitalize sundarban. The forest suffered enough from natural calamities. We don’t need humans to go and pollute wildlife

Homo Sapiens

ELITE MEMBER
Feb 3, 2015
Country
Bangladesh
Honestly Bangladesh has nothing much to offer to tourists. They have not fully utilised domestic tourism.
We need to develop domestic tourism so that our people do not feel compelled to go to other countries because of absence of tourism infrastructure at home and draining huge amount of foreign currency. If we can provide our domestic tourists cheap, convenient leaure and pleasure options within the country then the craze of going abroad for vacation will be less and it will positively contribute to our economy, a lot of tourism related jobs will also be created.

Now, haor areas of Bangladesh are emerging as a popular tourist destination. Thousands of tourists are enjoying the rich biodiversity and water activities in haors. Resorts are being developed on haors to accommodate the growing number of tourists.

Newly inaugurated President resort in kishoreganj

Last edited:

Bilal9

ELITE MEMBER
Feb 4, 2014
Country
Bangladesh

Nice to see a slightly more sophisticated class of vessels built at our shipyards. These cruise ships will be popular with domestic tourists. Perhaps even attract potential customers.

Btw by cruise ships, don't imagine large transcontinental cruise ships/liners. They're probably similar to a medium-sized ferry I'm guessing. I'm guessing between 8000-15,000 tones, based on the capacity of our current shipyards. I could be mistaken. Please share any info you may have pertaining to these vessels, and the maximum capacity of our shipyards. I think the larges ship built-in BD was 8000 tones.

As an engineer, I'll always have a heavy engineering bias, so the shipbuilding sector is perhaps the most interesting to me, out of all the emerging industries in BD. They used to face challenges with unreliable electricity, and a lack of local steel mills (a lot of them closed). But now energy is of abundance, and we have pretty good processed steel plants like GPH Ispat.
Karnafuli already built a small cruise vessel (ferry) a few years ago for Teknaf-St. Martin Island route named "KARNAFULY EXPRESS". This was way smaller than the current batch of three they are working on now.

It's a Cruise Ship that goes from Teknaf to Saint Martin with 300 passenger capacity. The 55 meter long ship has first Class, second Class, Cabin with attached bath according to the need of passenger. Facilitated with spacious hall, dining space and open large balconies.
Average Speed: 12 Nautical miles per hour.
Starting date: 30th December 2019

For the few hours trip to St. Martin, here are the fare rates in Taka:

VVIP Cabin - 20,000/-
VIP Cabin -15,000/-
Twin Bed - 8,000/-
Single Bed - 5,000/-
Business Class Seat - 2500/-
Economy Class Seat - 2000/-

The fare Includes Breakfast & Afternoon Snacks.

On the Cox's Bazaar to St. Martin Island route, there is a much larger vessel recently added last, the MV Bay One (also operated by Karnafuly Travels). However this was an Inter-Island ferry imported from Japan. Fare rates are a bit higher than the Karnafuly Express above.

Previous to this, some years ago, Western Marine in Chittagong also built a tiny but very advanced Inter-Island ferry for New Zealand & Tokelau (MV Mataliki shown anchored in Apia Harbour, Samoa).

As shown by the bridge deck, Wester Marine is probably even better at integrating modern technology in ships, compared to Karnafuly Shipbuilders.

Passenger Lounge

A model showing the outline of the advanced hull form (the ship is SOLAS compliant which is a current safety regime in advanced countries). The ship was designed by famed ship designer Knude Hansen.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom