• Thursday, April 25, 2019

Bangladesh anti-graft body to learn from CBI under new pact

Discussion in 'Bangladesh Defence Forum' started by Nilgiri, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Nilgiri

Nilgiri ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +57 / 39,660 / -10
    India
    Bangladesh anti-graft body to learn from CBI under new pact

Bangladesh’s Anti-Corruption Commission, which has been at the forefront of investigating the country’s former PM Khaleda Zia and her son Tarique, is expected to sign a pact with the CBI Thursday to formalise a partnership.

https://indianexpress.com/article/i...ody-to-learn-from-cbi-under-new-pact-5572871/

The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) may be in the middle of controversy, but Bangladesh’s top anti-corruption body wants to learn from the CBI’s investigative skills, especially in tackling economic offenders.

This is Momen’s first visit to India after being appointed Foreign Minister last month. An economist and a diplomat, he was Bangladesh’s Permanent Representative to the United Nations in New York from August 2009 to October 2015. His elder brother, A M A Muhith, was Bangladesh’s Finance minister from 2009 to 2018.

The pact between Bangladesh’s Anti-Corruption Commission and CBI is expected to give a boost to the cooperation between the two investigating agencies. For the Bangladesh government led by Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, bringing economic offenders to justice and fighting corruption is a priority area.

“This pact is likely to help in capacity-building and experience-sharing by CBI with it’s Bangladesh counterpart, the ACC,” a source said.

In the latest report by the Transparency International in January-end, Bangladesh was ranked 149th in the Global Perceptions Index 2018 out of 180 countries — down by six notches from 143 last year. India’s ranking improved by three notches to 78.

According to Transparency International, a Berlin-based graft watchdog, Bangladesh is ranked second-lowest in south Asia, only ahead of war-torn Afghanistan, and the reasons include the Anti-Corruption Commission’s failure to act effectively.

Among other pacts likely to be signed up during the visit by the Bangladesh Foreign Minister is one on setting up a Special Economic Zone near Mongla port by the Hiranandani group, on traditional medicine, training of Bangladesh’s civil servants, and one between public broadcasters of the two countries.

Sources said the discussions at the 5th JCC meeting will review the progress made in areas such as trade and investment, security, connectivity, border management, power, energy, shipping and people-to-people exchanges.

The two countries will also discuss common challenges and find ways on how, along with other like-minded nations, they can continue fighting terrorism, extremism and radicalisation.

Ahead of the visit, Momen said on Wednesday, “Among other things, we want to consult with my counterpart about the early resolution of the Rohingya crisis as it may affect regional stability.” He said he expects enhanced Indian support in resolving the crisis.

====================

Can't wait to hear @bluesky bhai salty commentary on this.

@Mage Any comments?

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  2. bluesky

bluesky SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4 / 7,000 / -6
    Bangladesh
    In the case of Bangladesh, the question is not goats eating away the grass. Rather, it is the fence that eats away the grass. You should ask for opinions from @Homo Sapiens, @TopCat, @UKBengali and your Billu Mia who were arguing that corruption has caused unparallel development in the country.

I think they are still sticking to this opinion but why then our ACC should tie up with CBI? CBI methods of doing things may cause underdevelopment of our Golden Bangladesh. What is your opinion?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Nilgiri

Nilgiri ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +57 / 39,660 / -10
    India
    I dunno, BD sees CBI as something to aspire too apparently (for anti-graft and who knows what else coming up).

In other thread these stronky stronk people were saying BD is moving away strongly from India towards China (that too after the support China gave to Burma etc):

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/has-china-edged-india-for-strategic-advantage.601196/

But they are strangely silent here. I mean why not BD send anti-graft body to learn from Chinese equivalent and practice what they preach?

@Two

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  4. bluesky

bluesky SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4 / 7,000 / -6
    Bangladesh
    There is no way BD people will learn better things. About the removal of corruption practice, you can rest assured it cannot be done unless there is a strong citizens' movement. The entire Police system is corrupt. They will even take a 100 Taka graft. It is a kind of Selami in BD.

I think India is no different from BD. However, China may be a little different. But, in entire Asia, it is only Japan and Singapore that is corruption-free. Our govt should seek instructors from those countries to teach ACC and Police people.

During the very early Meiji Restoration in the 1860s, the GoJ adopted a policy whereby the corruption money cannot be used to buy property beyond one's honest earning. Irrespective of 0 or 100 billion dollar income, every adult has to submit Income Tax Return every year. So, his/her total income is known. As a result, he/she cannot buy property too high in price disproportionate to his income.

Even a rich father cannot donate money to his son/daughter to buy property without paying a high 'Gift Tax' to the govt. Also, the sons/daughters of a rich father cannot entirely inherit his property. They have to pay an 'Inheritance Tax' before they can get a transfer of titles. This is how a Japanese is not allowed to enjoy even the honestly earned parental wealth. He has to work hard to earn money for survival. So, people are discouraged to earn evil money because it will be taken away by the govt at some stage.

Anyway, many different measures adopted since the 1860s has combinedly resulted in a non-corruption society in Japan. Do you really think our ACC thief going to CBI dakoo will give any tangible result like what can be seen in Japan? I doubt it because it is not that the Police, NBR, and ACC are working in tandem with each other. But, these institutions themselves in BD are corrupt. Corrupt is also the bureaucrats and politicians over their heads. So, I see no redress.

But, your favorite @Homo Sapiens, @Bilal9, and @TopCat are happy with the corruption.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  5. Nilgiri

Nilgiri ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +57 / 39,660 / -10
    India
    Yes I would definitely suggest Singapore and Japan too for anti-graft overall (esp as the target/objective to have in the end).

But they are very high level organised....so they may not have the "low level" expertise that is relevant for Bangladesh stage since that is much more ancient history for them in their case (could be forgotten, left behind, very different situation now etc).

Hence BD may find India and China more appropriate on learning the immediate basic anti-graft things that can deliver early results (and get to better level and over time approach advanced countries on it like Japan, so those lessons they have even make sense for BD...i.e BD has some clay to work with at that point rather than empty hands).

My point is given the language barrier with Chinese, things are not as easy to approach them....as much as some emotional members here like to gesticulate that BD will move firmly into China camp blah blah. India has very wide spectrum (from very bad to quite good) which makes the average mediocre etc overall. But BD can filter out and focus on that which is done ok in India...since it can be learned from more readily and quickly and applied to BD situation.

6. bluesky

bluesky SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4 / 7,000 / -6
    Bangladesh
    • Thanks Thanks x 1