What's new

'Attempt to intimidate': Experts worried over Serum Institute's Rs 100 crore lawsuit against vaccine volunteer

Drizzt

Nov 29, 2020
Country
India
Experts said they are worried over Serum Institute's counter-sue move against a coronavirus vaccine trial volunteer who allegedly experienced 'memory loss, ability to reason and concentrate and personality change' after taking the Oxford vaccine dose. AIDAN said it was an attempt to intimidate.

Coronavirus vaccine development work underway at Serum Institute of India, Pune (Photo: PTI)

After the Serum Institute of India (SII) slapped a Rs 100 crore defamation case against a Covishield coronavirus vaccine volunteer, who allegedly reported 'memory loss, ability to reason and concentrate and personality change' 10 days after being administered a shot, experts say the company's move was a "blatant attempt to intimidate" the participant.
Experts said the Serum Institute should have engaged with its coronavirus vaccine volunteer to understand his concerns if there was an issue about the serious adverse event.
The volunteer of the Oxford coronavirus vaccine in Chennai has sought a compensation of Rs 5 crore for allegedly suffering serious side effects from the shot. The man also sought that the testing, manufacturing, and distribution of the coronavirus vaccine be stopped immediately.
The 40-year-old business consultant has alleged he suffered a virtual neurological breakdown and impairment of cognitive functions and sent a legal notice to SII and others.
The Serum Institute on Sunday rejected the charges as "malicious and misconceived" and filed a defamation case against the coronavirus vaccine trial participant.
Serum's counter-sue decision was a "bad move", an expert said.
"A bad move by Serum to counter-sue. Volunteers participate in studies mostly out for altruistic reasons. In this case, healthy volunteers. If there is an issue about the serious adverse event, better to engage with the participant to understand their concerns. Rather than try to browbeat them," Bioethics expert Professor Anant Bhan said on Twitter.

All India Drug Action Network (AIDAN) also expressed shock, saying, "This is a blatant attempt of intimidation."
"Instead of explaining why they have been silent about the reports of the SAE, Serum Institute is attempting to divert public scrutiny of its trial. Bear in mind that in Serum's Phase 2/3 trial, safety is one of the primary endpoints in addition to immunogenicity." AIDAN was quoted as saying by a report in News18.
Meanwhile, a senior ICMR official said that a preliminary assessment has not indicated any causal link between the alleged adverse events shown by the volunteer and the 'Covishield' coronavirus vaccine.
The SII has partnered with British-Swedish biopharmaceutical giant AstraZeneca for manufacturing the Oxford coronavirus vaccine candidate for Covid-19 infection.
https://www.indiatoday.in/world/sto...-against-vaccine-volunteer-1745598-2020-12-01

jamahir

ELITE MEMBER
Jul 9, 2014
Country
India
Have those effects been seen in other volunteers or has that particular volunteer had a reaction specific to himself ?

Capt. Karnage

May 24, 2020
Country
India
Govt, media and pharma cos are fooling the people and destroying the country using this fake pandemic as excuse. Just see what icmr chief said regarding this vaccine yesterday.

jamahir

ELITE MEMBER
Jul 9, 2014
Country
India
Govt, media and pharma cos are fooling the people and destroying the country using this fake pandemic as excuse.
It is not fake. For example, I read an account of a former Corona patient who said that he had so much trouble breathing that he felt like a fish out of water. And then there are interviews of senior doctors ( in India and abroad ) by someone of such high stature as Ravish Kumar. These doctors have said it is unwise to take Corona lightly. They have directly been involved in curing Corona patients.

Just see what icmr chief said regarding this vaccine yesterday.
What did he say ?

Capt. Karnage

May 24, 2020
Country
India
It is not fake. For example, I read an account of a former Corona patient who said that he had so much trouble breathing that he felt like a fish out of water. And then there are interviews of senior doctors ( in India and abroad ) by someone of such high stature as Ravish Kumar. These doctors have said it is unwise to take Corona lightly. They have directly been involved in curing Corona patients.

What did he say ?
It IS fake. People are dying of comorbidity not corona. Even one of my distant relative died of cardiac arrest and labelled as corona casualties. Does flu give you heart attack?

He said only a handful of people will be given this nonsense vaccine as more than 90 percent people don't even need it. One lie after another. Everywhere there is hurry in giving this vaccine to people as people are now realising that this pandemic is fake and once the truth comes out modi will be skinned alive by the people of the country.

jamahir

ELITE MEMBER
Jul 9, 2014
Country
India
It IS fake. People are dying of comorbidity not corona. Even one of my distant relative died of cardiac arrest and labelled as corona casualties. Does flu give you heart attack?
It is possible that many people are dying of comorbidities but Corona itself has its own effects. Ravish Kumar spoke to an Indian-origin doctor in America who spoke of a very healthy wrestler who participated in a match and got the disease.

There are reports of formerly healthy people having developed scar tissue ( fibrosis ) in their lungs and this leading to difficulty in breathing. There are other effects too which I do not recall.

He said only a handful of people will be given this nonsense vaccine as more than 90 percent people don't even need it. One lie after another. Everywhere there is hurry in giving this vaccine to people as people are now realising that this pandemic is fake and once the truth comes out modi will be skinned alive by the people of the country.
Maybe the ICMR chief is making excuse because he is not able to find a way to enable the countries factories to manufacture 1.35+ billion doses in a matter of months.

Capt. Karnage

May 24, 2020
Country
India
It is possible that many people are dying of comorbidities but Corona itself has its own effects. Ravish Kumar spoke to an Indian-origin doctor in America who spoke of a very healthy wrestler who participated in a match and got the disease.

There are reports of formerly healthy people having developed scar tissue ( fibrosis ) in their lungs and this leading to difficulty in breathing. There are other effects too which I do not recall.

Maybe the ICMR chief is making excuse because he is not able to find a way to enable the countries factories to manufacture 1.35+ billion doses in a matter of months.
You assume a lot my friend. Understand that the world governments are using mass media and fear to control our minds. If a lie is repeated thousand times it becomes truth. That's what media is doing, trying to keep people in constant fear so that they willingly give up their freedom.

jamahir

ELITE MEMBER
Jul 9, 2014
Country
India
You assume a lot my friend. Understand that the world governments are using mass media and fear to control our minds. If a lie is repeated thousand times it becomes truth. That's what media is doing, trying to keep people in constant fear so that they willingly give up their freedom.
I know that many governments spend a lot of time in disinformation. For example, Saddam Hussein supposedly imminently above to fire WMD missiles at Europe and hence the "need" for some Western governments to invade Iraq.

I am a calm person generally immune to political and religious rhetoric.

Corona is real.

Capt. Karnage

May 24, 2020
Country
India
I know that many governments spend a lot of time in disinformation. For example, Saddam Hussein supposedly imminently above to fire WMD missiles at Europe and hence the "need" for some Western governments to invade Iraq.

I am a calm person generally immune to political and religious rhetoric.

Corona is real.
Corona is real covid19 not. Corona virus has been there since thousands of year but covid19 is a lie spun around it.

jamahir

ELITE MEMBER
Jul 9, 2014
Country
India
Corona is real covid19 not. Corona virus has been there since thousands of year but covid19 is a lie spun around it.
Well, I believe COVID19 is real. :)

IIRC a family member of an American member here ( I think @KAL-EL ) had been afflicted with COVID19 but recovered.

Markandeya

Jul 16, 2016
Country
India
Govt, media and pharma cos are fooling the people and destroying the country using this fake pandemic as excuse. Just see what icmr chief said regarding this vaccine yesterday.
You are suffering from Conspircorona virus..it spreads faster than Covid-19. Go for social distancing and educated

KAL-EL

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Jun 2, 2013
Country
United States
Well, I believe COVID19 is real. :)

IIRC a family member of an American member here ( I think @KAL-EL ) had been afflicted with COVID19 but recovered.
That would be correct my friend. My brother and his girlfriend were afflicted. Both recovered thankfully.

So it is definitely real

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom