• Monday, November 18, 2019

Anti terrorism Courts of Pakistan

Discussion in 'Insaf - Justice' started by ghazi52, Aug 18, 2019.

  1. ghazi52

    ghazi52 ELITE MEMBER

    Messages:
    38,094
    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2007
    Ratings:
    +39 / 50,949 / -0
    Country:
    Pakistan
    Location:
    United States
    Bannu ATC accepts PTM MNAs' bail request in one case, rejects it in another
    August 17, 2019

    [​IMG]

    Ali Wazir (L) and Mohsin Dawar, leaders of the Pashtun Tahaffuz Movement (PTM), walk at the venue of a rally in Karachi, May 13, 2018. — Reuters/File
    A Bannu antiterrorism court on Saturday granted bail to incarcerated Pashtun Tahaffuz Movement (PTM) MNAs Ali Wazir and Mohsin Dawar in one case, but rejected their plea for bail in another case.

    The two MNAs — currently imprisoned in Haripur jail — have been nominated in two separate cases pertaining to Improvised Explosive Device (IED) attacks targeting security forces in North Waziristan.

    One first information report (FIR) was registered by the Counter Terrorism Department (CTD) in Bannu against the PTM MNAs for allegedly attacking a security check post on May 26 in the Kharqamar area

    According to the FIR, both MNAs along with their supporters "attacked the security post".

    The second FIR was registered by CTD Bannu following a June 7 IED attack near a security check post in Kharqamar, where an Army convoy was on routine patrol. The incident left three officers and a soldier martyred and four security personnel injured.

    Both Wazir and Dawar were already in CTD custody at the time of the IED blast ─ they had been arrested following the May 26 Kharqamar check post attack. Wazir had been taken into custody the day of the attack, while Dawar surrendered himself to security forces a few days later.

    The hearing on the request for bail in both cases was conducted by ATC judge Babar Ali Khan today, who via a short order granted the request for bail in the June 7 incident but rejected it for the May 26 case.

    Senior prosecutor Fazal Noorani, Arif Bilal and Sardar Abdul Rauf made arguments on behalf of the state whereas the defendants were represented by a team led by Peshawar High Court Bar President Latif Afridi.

    Tariq Afghan, a member of the PTM legal team, told DawnNewsTV that they argued before the court that their clients were innocent, adding that they also produced videos and other evidence.

    "The videos of the Kharqamar incident clearly showed that they were unarmed and were allowed to enter the area," he contended.

    Afghan said that they will challenge the verdict in the high court.
     
  2. ghazi52

    ghazi52 ELITE MEMBER

    Messages:
    38,094
    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2007
    Ratings:
    +39 / 50,949 / -0
    Country:
    Pakistan
    Location:
    United States
    Anti-terrorism court takes into custody mayor Karachi’s passport


    [​IMG]
    Mayor Karachi Waseem Akhtar — File photo

    KARACHI: An anti-terrorism court took into custody the passport of Mayor Karachi Waseem Akhtar on Saturday.

    The ATC was hearing a case pertaining to providing treatment to terrorists and had summoned the mayor of the city in this regard.

    During the hearing, the ATC judge reprimanded Waseem Akhtar, saying that despite being the mayor of the city he did nothing for it.

    The court, in its remarks, said that the passport was given to the mayor for official visits and if he is not using it anymore then he should hand it over.

    The court then took into custody the passport from the mayor Karachi.
     
  3. ghazi52

    ghazi52 ELITE MEMBER

    Messages:
    38,094
    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2007
    Ratings:
    +39 / 50,949 / -0
    Country:
    Pakistan
    Location:
    United States
    ATC acquits all suspects in Sahiwal encounter case

    October 24, 2019

    [​IMG]

    A special anti-terrorism court in Lahore on Thursday acquitted all suspects in the Sahiwal encounter case giving them the benefit of doubt. — DawnNewsTV/File

    A special anti-terrorism court in Lahore on Thursday acquitted all suspects in the Sahiwal encounter case giving them the benefit of doubt.

    The court announced the verdict after the suspects' lawyers completed a cross-questioning of the testimonies of government witnesses.

    ATC-I Judge Arshad Hussain Bhutta heard the case.

    During hearings of the case, the court had recorded statements of 49 witnesses, including close relatives of a victim Zeeshan and another victim Mohammad Khalil. During the proceedings, all the suspects appeared before the court.

    The injured witnesses [children of Khalil who were accompanying the victim when he was targeted] had not identified the suspects nor were the suspects identified during photogrammetric tests. The court added that the official who had provided the suspects with the weapons said he was returned all the weapons and bullets.

    In January, Mohammad Khalil, his wife and their three children were travelling in a car, with their neighbour Zeeshan behind the steering wheel, when Counter-Terrorism Department (CTD) personnel stopped the vehicle and opened fire on the passengers suspecting them to be terrorists. Khalil’s two children Umair and Muneeba had survived the attack.

    The suspects said that they had information that Zeeshan had links with a terrorist outfit. They also claimed that all the victims were killed in an 'encounter' which turned out to be false after the two minor children narrated facts of the incident to the public.

    Initially, the trial was conducted in Sahiwal, however, the Lahore High Court on June 17 shifted the proceedings to Lahore allowing an application filed by the victims' family. The petitioners contended that they had been facing problems while attending trial proceedings in Sahiwal. They also cited security reasons and asked the court to shift the trial proceedings from Sahiwal to Lahore.