• Friday, August 7, 2020

AIM-120 vs R-77

Discussion in 'Pakistan Defence & Industry' started by DaRk WaVe, Aug 18, 2009.

1. DaRk WaVe

DaRk WaVe RETIRED TTA

Ratings:
    +0 / 4,830 / -0
    Pakistan
    Just wanted to know which one is better AAM

overall the aerodynamic design of R-77 is new and better than conventional AIM-120C, the range is another advantage which R-77 but this advantage will be nullified by fielding of AIM-120D, and AIM-120C has got no IR seekers while R-77 has got both radar homing and IR seekers but again AIM-120D will use IR seekers plus R-77 has better range and much more speed and can handle 12 Gs....

views of other members plz

2. TaimiKhan

TaimiKhan SENIOR MODERATOR

Ratings:
    +10 / 14,649 / -0
    Pakistan
    Russians have many weapon systems which are superior in many categories, speed, lethality, durability, rough usage etc etc But, problem is US weapon systems are combat proven.
    Russian weapons are not combat proven like the US weapon systems, and AIM-120 has more combat kills then Russian AAM missiles.

So my vote goes to AIM-120. The superior speed, range or multi- seeker capability does not make R-77 a better weapon, as the main factor making BVR missiles is the electronics, in which US has a superior infrastructure.

3. gambit

gambit PROFESSIONAL

Ratings:
    +145 / 22,863 / -8
    United States
    Read this...

4. Munir

Munir REST IN PEACE

Ratings:
    +11 / 2,608 / -1
    Pakistan
    I vote for R77.. Many reasons.

5. Kamakazi 69

Kamakazi 69 FULL MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0 / 30 / -0
    There's a topic on this site discussing that most Indian missiles (and I think the list included the R-77) have tracking problems.

I would personally go for the AIM 120 simple because it's American, and thus probably will have greater tracking capabilities, but I think any air arm with either of these weapons will be pretty content with their performance.