• Tuesday, August 20, 2019

After tanker attack: Trump says 'US wants to get Iran back to the table,'

Discussion in 'Middle East & Africa' started by Shapur Zol Aktaf, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Shapur Zol Aktaf

Shapur Zol Aktaf SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3 / 3,145 / -4
    Iran, Islamic Republic Of
    'We want to get them back to the table,' Trump told Fox News in an interview; 'I'm ready when they are,' the US president said, adding that he was in "no rush"

US President Donald Trump said on Friday he was ready to launch talks with Iran whenever it was ready.

"We want to get them back to the table," Trump told Fox News in an interview. "I'm ready when they are," adding that he was in "no rush."

Asked how to he planned to address Tehran and stop any further incidents, Trump said: "We'll see what happens."

Thursday's attacks raised questions about shipping through the Strait of Hormuz, a key commercial route, and what steps the United States may take to protect the area.

US officials have said the United States would defend its interests.

"They're not going to be closing it. It's not going to be closed. It's not going to be closed for long," Trump said.

The Trump administration has blamed Iran for the attack, citing a video made from a US aircraft that it said showed Iran's Revolutionary Guards on patrol boats drawing up to one of the ships near the Strait of Hormuz after the blasts and removing an unexploded limpet mine.

"Iran did do it," Trump told Fox. "It's essentially got Iran written all over it... I guess they didn't want the evidence left behind."

Iran denied any role in Thursday’s apparent attacks, which have again roiled the Persian Gulf amid heightened tensions between Tehran and Washington over the unraveling nuclear deal with world powers.

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsCon...-US-wants-to-get-Iran-back-to-the-table,.aspx

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Microsoft

Microsoft FULL MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2 / 1,820 / -0
    Pakistan
    Trump is the only reason there isn't a war. Hate him all you want but if Bolton, Pompeo were blowing smoke up someone else's @ss there'd be fire in Iran + ME right now.

Iran should take the offer they can just turn it down if the demands are not met.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Ghareeb_Da_Baal

Ghareeb_Da_Baal SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6 / 4,570 / -0
    Pakistan
    I said that about POTUS few weeks ago. Exactly my thoughts.
    Cant imagine if Adolf Hillary had been in the WH instead, what would ve taken place.

4. Shapur Zol Aktaf

Shapur Zol Aktaf SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3 / 3,145 / -4
    Trump knows the cost of war, he's a businessman and very selfish, his reputation is important for him. He wants statues to be build for him as one of the best presidents ever in all categories. He does not want people to talk bad about his mother on youtube when he's no president anymore, like people do about george bush.

But if Bolton or Pompeo were president.. they might do stupid things which would put US on wheelchair forever.

Now I think Iran should stay calm and put pressure in Syria and should start with small clashes or setting check points to some emirati or saudi ships. If able, Iran should deliver heavy arms to houthis like Soumar cruise missile. At the same time while doing so, back door diplomacy should not be rejected by Iran and trump should be given an option not to lose face from his mistake of sanctioning Iran (ordering civilian planes from boeing is a win-win, buying some civilian products/technologies which we in no way can get from other place) and they should fully accept nuclear agreement as it was. We're not going to even give 1% consessions and we will never talk 1 word about consessions in our defense program.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Cthulhu

Cthulhu FULL MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0 / 2,841 / -0
    US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo: "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole. We had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment.":

US National Security Advisor John Bolton defending the use of deception in advancing military agendas:

Japanese tanker owner contradicts U.S. officials over explosives used in Gulf of Oman attack

German official: US video 'not enough' to pin blame on Iran for tanker attacks

The U.S. is playing the Richard Nixon's Madman theory in reverse, we're not gonna fall for it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madman_theory

https://www.forbes.com/sites/phille...y-of-international-negotiations/#289ba5057461

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  6. Pakhtoon yum

Pakhtoon yum SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1 / 4,876 / -0
    Pakistan
    This is like watching an Indian drama. Ita so dramatic that it starts to make sense

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. masterchief_mirza

masterchief_mirza FULL MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2 / 1,487 / -0
    Pakistan
    This is a very astute observation. Trump is all about business. He doesn't prefer military options. I don't think he is as brainwashed by xtian fundamentalism as Pompeo , Bolton and others. He will however squeeze the life out of Iran economically. Iran should be careful not to give them cassus belli.

• Thanks Thanks x 2