There are also around 70 Mirage V.. add it to the Mig-21 and J-7 and you see that 160 lightweight fighter have to be replaced somehow.. Rafales to replace the Mirage 2000 and the F-4s and Mig-35 to replace the oldest F-16s in a defensive role..yet they are Multirole,..and all these are Medium-weight fighters.. which still leaves 160 old lightweight fighter to be replaced..Please address my concerns:
1. Report is from Moscow, not Egypt and are the views of a Think Tank over EAF procurement of Mig-29/35
2. No-where does it say a Light weight fighter is EAF requirement.
3. The requirement mentioned by analyst is of a multi role fighter, which Mig-29 fits properly. Furthermore its said that Mig-29 carries more weaponry than F-16 and similar to Rafale.
4. Russia seems to be a committed supplier as per the report. So diplomatically there won't be any issues of spares, logistics etc.The report doesn't mention ToT.
5. I reckon JF-17 offers AESA and maybe ToT, but EAF has tilted towards Mig-29 already. High end Fighter: Rafale. Mid-tier- Mig 29 and Low to mid tier- F-16. EAF already maintains F-16 as single engined jet and has jumped towards double engined as new procurement.