• Sunday, December 15, 2019

Activist-athlete boosts image of Balochistan

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Valar., Dec 4, 2019.

1. Valar.

Valar. FULL MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0 / 3,887 / -5
    Pakistan
    Activist-athlete boosts image of Balochistan
    [​IMG]
    Defying tall odds, Shahida Abbasi becomes second woman athlete to win a gold medal for Pakistan. (Photo/Supplied)
    Updated 04 December 2019
    Naimat Khan
    December 03, 2019 23:59

Follow @arabnews
    • There is more to our Hazara town than just bomb blasts, Shahida Abbasi says
    KARACHI: As Pakistan’s second woman athlete to win a gold medal in karate at the South Asian Games in Nepal, Shahida Abbasi knows how to pack a punch.

That, however, is half the battle won she says.

True glory, she adds, lies in the fact that her town in Balochistan — which until recently was in the news for bomb blasts and target killings — has now become a source of pride for the country.

“When I started karate a few years ago, there would be regular blasts in the Hazara town of Quetta. Now, the town which was in the news for blasts and target killings is being celebrated for its achievements in sports,” Abbasi, 24, told Arab News during a phone interview from Katmandu, the venue for the prestigious games which began on Sunday and end on Dec. 10.

Pakistan won two gold, three silver and four bronze medals, with Abbasi bringing home the trophy in the women’s single karate category.

“I am happy that I’m a source of pride for my country, my city, my town and my parents,” she said.

First launched in 1984, the South Asian Games, formerly known as the South Asian Federation Games, is a biennial multi-sporting event which sees participation from seven countries — Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, the Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka.

Nepal is leading in the games with 15 gold medals, followed by Sri Lanka and India with three gold medals each. Bangladesh came a close third with two gold medals, while Bhutan and Maldives have yet to win a gold. “I am very happy that I was the first from Pakistan to play and gave my country a good start with a gold medal,” Abbasi said, adding that the bouquets she has earned have not been without their share of brickbats.

“When I would go to the academy for learning karate, the boys in my neighborhood would taunt me. I wouldn’t respond but continued my journey with all positivity. Today, I gave them the answer with my performance,” she said.

Abbasi started learning karate in 2004, going on to win national and international medals for her Hazara Club in Quetta and the country.

She credits her father for her win. “'Martial arts is not for girls,’ our neighbors would say. But my father, my main supporter, continued to push me and today I made him proud.”

The second of four sisters, Abbasi said that she called her father in Quetta to tell him that she had won. “But he already knew it! He was very happy and said he’s proud of me,” she said.

Another driving factor for Abbasi to go for gold was to change people’s perception of Balochistan. She said it is considered a backward province but has immense talent and potential. “Give the people of Balochistan a chance, be it in education, sports or any other field, they will prove themselves.”

Muhammad Shah, Abbasi’s coach, praised her “outstanding performance.”

“She has played better than our expectations,” Shah told Arab News, adding that with support from the government, the athletes can do even better.

“If the government arranges for us around two months training camp, the medals can be doubled. All of my athletes were excellent. However, Shahida Abbasi was brilliant,” Shah said.

Asked if she had a message for other girls her age, Abbasi said: “Have self-respect and self-confidence. With these two things you can outshine in any field.”

Follow @arabnews
    Topics: Balochistan athelete

https://www.arabnews.com/node/1593681/world

• Thanks Thanks x 11
  2. GHALIB

GHALIB SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1 / 1,637 / -47
    India
    congratulations

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  3. masterchief_mirza

masterchief_mirza SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2 / 3,478 / -1
    Pakistan
    Phenomenal achievement. More please!

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  4. Starlord

Starlord ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +10 / 18,541 / -1
    Pakistan
    Baluchistan has a lot talent which is waiting to be discovered, I hope that with CPEC progressing and new infrastructure build-up more and more students , experts , sportsman , and other fields of life will come forward.

• Thanks Thanks x 4
  5. Darth Vader

Darth Vader SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3 / 3,919 / -2
    Norway
    Pakistan needs Massive in its Sports Infrastructure.
    With investment at Grass-root level, It will build many more athletes on city level & create many new jobs.
    Lower crime rates as when young students can select these sports as a profession.
    Sponsoring Local City heroes will help push young men from smaller cities to work hard & it will build infrastructure which can than guide these young kids on international standards.
    When Regions & cities are promoting more athletes it will promote these sports and with the help of private investments, you can do competitions and promote them on TV.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  6. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0 / 2,645 / -1
    Pakistan
    How will spending more money at sports decrease crimes for decreasing crime spend more money at police
    And how many people would get jobs as players

7. Syed Hammad Ahmed

Syed Hammad Ahmed SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0 / 1,205 / -3
    Wow looks similar to Uighurs women

8. Darth Vader

Ratings:
    +3 / 3,919 / -2
    Norway
    1 Currently, the most common game in Pakistan is cricket as its cheaper to play & you can do that anywhere but the standard of athletes has been falling in Pakistan and without few stars, a country of 200 Million hasn't done anything in any of sports.

Types of Sports Jobs
    In the college sports sector, choose from these athletic department jobs:
    • Athletic Trainer
    • Coach – many different sports
    • Assistant Coach
    • Associate Athletic Director
    • Athletic Director
    • Physical Education Instructor
    • Marketing and Promotions Coordinator
    • Athletic Program Development Director
    • Sports Information Director
    In the field known as Health and Fitness, there are these jobs and sports careers:

• Athletic Trainer
    • Physical Therapist
    • Medical Assistant
    • Sports Medicine Aide
    • Assistant Athletic Trainer
    • Physical Therapy Assistant
    • Sports Massage Therapist
    • Sports and Fitness Nutritionist
    • Strength and Conditioning Coach
    • Exercise Physiologist
    • Sports Physician
    • Sports Psychologist
    Interested in a sports writing job or broadcasting career? There has been a proliferation of sports-related Internet sites, publications, and sports channels on television. There’s never been a better time to pursue these types of sports jobs:
    • Sportscaster
    • Sports News Reporter
    • Television Sports Producer
    • Radio Sports Producer
    • Internet Sports Producer
    • Sports Writer
    • Sports Photographer
    • Sports Talk Show Host
    • Sports Columnist
    • Sports Television Talent Director
    • Editor
    • Publisher
    You can find these sports jobs in schools from Kindergarten through 12th grade:
    • Physical Education (P.E.) Teacher
    • Coach
    • Assistant Coach
    Only a lucky few athletes make it to the pinnacle of playing professional sports. Fortunately for job seekers, many professional sports teams are big businesses. They need administrators, marketers, ticket salespeople, coaches, and so forth. You’ll find these types of opportunities within many pro sports organizations:
    • Coach
    • Strength and Conditioning Coach
    • Scout
    • Team President
    • General Manager
    • Business Manager
    • Director of Minor League Operations
    • Marketing Director
    • Promotion Director
    • Director of Community Relations
    • Ticket Operations Manager
    • Traveling Secretary
    • Executive Director
    • Stadium Manager
    • Sports Events Coordinator
    • Equipment Manager
    • Scoreboard Operator
    • Public Address Announcer
    and for crime & sports, few examples just read these
    https://www.gov.scot/publications/works-reduce-crime-summary-evidence/pages/6/
    https://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/05/16/how-sports-reduced-the-crime-rate-in-chicago.aspx
    http://www.waterpolo.ca/admin/docs/clientuploads/News/YouthSportvsYouthCrime2008_ENG.pdf

and the current most famous example is
    khabib nurmagomedov, just read how his dad helped the youth of his area by investing in sports

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  9. Alternatiiv

Alternatiiv SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +15 / 4,712 / -0
    Pakistan
    Bhai, bas krdai tu.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Clutch

Clutch ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6 / 10,624 / -1
    Great ! Pakistan proud!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0 / 2,645 / -1
    Pakistan
    You want government to hire more people
    And government will be paying all of them whether they do their job or not

12. Darth Vader

Ratings:
    +3 / 3,919 / -2
    Norway
    Most of these jobs will be private sector.
    Media is mostly private
    Colleges , schools they are supposed to have these people be it private or Gov its time State should care about the health of young pupils
    Promptions , competitions these will be sponsored by state but in few years private sector will promote as when they will see sports have money

Its on Gov how they these positions
    To nurture future athletes or just fill these jobs for Votes

• Thanks Thanks x 1