• Saturday, September 22, 2018

A passage to Pakistan: 7 decades after separation, how different does the country feel from India

Discussion in 'Social & Current Events' started by Pluralist, Mar 5, 2018.

1. jzeebravo

jzeebravo FULL MEMBER

New Recruit

Ratings:
    +0 / 67 / -0
    Pakistan
    Hence the term 'PARTITION' was coined to justify this entire discourse of Pakistan as a baby of India, and how foolishly we use it in our day to day lives instead of the word INDEPENDENCE.

2. LoveIcon

LoveIcon ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +27 / 32,354 / -1
    Pakistan
    Sugar coated garbage.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  3. Joe Shearer

Joe Shearer PROFESSIONAL

Ratings:
    +106 / 28,924 / -1
    India
    Speaking from subjective observation, that is a Pakistani perspective and usage; when an Indian refers to getting free of the British, the term used is 'getting independence'. That was the salient feature, and that was, unfortunately, the task that took one political movement nearly one hundred years of agitation and association. The price paid was partition, a price paid with resignation and acceptance, contrary to urban legend prevailing in Pakistan, and contrary to the latter-day imaginings of fan-boys from India.

4. Maarkhoor

Maarkhoor ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +43 / 17,469 / -0
    Pakistan
    It seems Lahoriyoun ne apko rishta dene se inkaar kiya tha :lol:

5. Joe Shearer

Joe Shearer PROFESSIONAL

Ratings:
    +106 / 28,924 / -1
    India
    I think you might find better acceptance from supporters of the late P. N. Oak. I am not one, and I found your post impertinent.

It was always a culture and a civilisation, unified by common features throughout its geographical limits. The usual quibble of Pakistani opponents of India as a concept and as a modern democratic republic is to cling on to the idea of a unified political unit. A cursory look at other places, and other nations, will prove how weak are these arguments based on there being no single India in politics.

There was no modern Germany until Bismark, and even historically, the realm of the Germans was not distinctly marked; it changed, and the component political units within it changed very dynamically through the centuries. Look at the map at the time of the Merovingians (I will be glad to provide maps for any other period as well):

[​IMG]

Please note in particular the territory of the Saxons, and compare it with the present location of what was the erstwhile Kingdom of Saxony and its capital Dresden.

The kingdom of Great Britain never existed until the Union. What is today that kingdom was in origin two separate kingdoms, a principality, a duchy and a colony (for the convenience of the reader, these were England, Scotland, Wales, Cornwall and Ireland). Need I labour the point?

Frankly, through the years, I have heard this thoroughly unsound argument ad nauseam. Please could we consider using a code word or phrase for this, something like "Argument 101" or similar? It is not good to have to plough through the same set of words and phrases, that can make sense only to those determined not to look at the vast mountain of evidence to the contrary, that shows that the political divisions were existent against a cultural background of common values, concepts and practices, and that this culture existed within tightly defined geographical limits.

@Kambojaric in a hasty and unguarded moment mentioned the example of Scandinavia. A tracing of the dynasty of the Oldenburgs, the family to which Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh actually belongs, rather than to the pleasant fiction of descent from a far less eminent family, the Battenbergs, will illustrate the point far better than any other example, particularly a tracing of the history of the Union Kalmaris, or the Kalmar Union: that is my point in reverse.

The OP was about the rather naive piece written by a young, earnest visitor, who should have known that his impressionable piece would be reproduced in Pakistani papers, and his every word dissected with surgical malevolence by an audience intent on converting his inept phrasing into the equivalent of the equally fictitious Conventions of Zion. He might have considered discretion the better part of valour if he had guessed that such well-informed and superior minds would devote so much time and energy to the surgery involved.

@Thorough Pro

Thank you for your hint. It is most useful, and I shall bear it in mind whenever considering our immediate past history.

6. Metanoia

Metanoia FULL MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5 / 2,312 / -0
    Pakistan
    Dawn. Enough said.

7. Taimoor Khan

Taimoor Khan SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7 / 7,794 / -6
    Pakistan

Thank you. Hope this might spark some self respect among your kind and they stop calling themselves "Indians".

Do you need a revelation to understand this basic fact?

Ofcourse we were in the same boat as you. That why we have shed this reference to the days of slavery.

They did the carving out of entity they owe. just like they did in greater middle east and elsewhere. What that got to do with you lot who keep on moaning about mother India being carved out? In what capacity you moan? Be happy with what you got.