What's new

9 million overseas Pakistanis earn Pakistan more income than 200 million local Pakistanis

Norwegian

BANNED
Aug 19, 2014
Country
Pakistan
It had to be this way.
5 years ago, I visited Lahore Chamber (LCCI) along my uni friends to get help from chamber related to exports. We wanted to export textile products to US. We met 2 officials there, and instead of being mentors, they started to discourage us, "Aap sochen bhi mat; market main magarmach bethey, kha jayen gey apko; ap parhai complete kren, koi achi job karen, ye apki field ni ha". That day and today, our exports are still stagnant.
Lahore Chamber? Must be Patwari Chamber.
BACD7AE0-161D-41D1-80DA-5A73FA6BDE3B.jpeg

FuturePAF

Dec 17, 2014
Country
Pakistan
When I started by carrier in real estate and risk management consulting -- I was discouraged by my old boss who was Pakistani as well among others. However, non-Pakistani's were more encouraging.

It's a mentality within our older generation, that no one should stand in front of them as a competitor. They would rather keep your down, than help you out which could uplift society.
Perhaps the additional competition (not from your boss but by local competitors) will raise their cost of doing business, and they find a way to keep out competition, one way or another.

Also, new entrepreneurs may have been burned to many times and feel it’s a hopeless endeavor, so they are trying to save you the grief.

Either way, this government should change that, by cutting the red tape, and sheparding as many new investors through the process ASAP, similar to that story of the Egyptian hotel investors that had to go through 6 years of red tape to only have to compete in an unfair market because vested interests had a preferential arrangement (didn’t have to pay tax or something like that, while new investors had to pay tax) in the hotel business. In the end, I think he gave up and went back to Egypt.

ziaulislam

ELITE MEMBER
Apr 22, 2010
Country
Pakistan
With a population of 220 million, Pakistan productivity measured in exports is very pathetic. This shows us to be lazy and without any vision.

Overseas Pakistanis ( myself included) send money to family back home from our savings. Yes, that 27 billion dollar is our savings that we send to our country.

Also, those Pakistanis living in Pakistan are those who would not mind electing a thief like Nawaz Sharif or his daughter. Just imagine the lack of priority they have for their country that they think a man who has been stealing their money is their benefactor.
Khatee hey leykin khobsorat be hey

ziaulislam

ELITE MEMBER
Apr 22, 2010
Country
Pakistan
Imagine if Pakistanis started paying their taxes, instead of cheating the system.

Pakistan would no longer need to borrow money, and would probably pay of its debt in a few years. It would also end up becoming very rich, very quickly.
That would help development but foreign exchange crisis is simply due to people liking foreign stuff and asking govt to subsidize it for them in form of rupee

Untill collectively the mind set moves towards local production and consumption things will be as volatile as before

FuturePAF

Dec 17, 2014
Country
Pakistan
It’s the responsibility of the government to set policy to earn foreign revenue. Of course someone working overseas (in developed nations) will have more to remit from their discretionary spending then someone with limited opportunities back home. We can’t fault local Pakistanis for that. All the money the government uses to subsidize state owners enterprises, if were invested in ways to earn foreign revenue such as the mining sector, would go along way to correcting the imbalance.

leveraging the lower labor costs at home should be a priority while we have it. We need to move fast, because it is expect in 20-25 years Africa will have its demographic divided and our labor costs will be higher then theirs, making us less competitive in textiles, agriculture, etc.

New Investment in our local industries needs to be disproportionately allocated to those industries that can earn the most ROI in foreign markets. Value added Mining, Pharmaceuticals, Organic Farming, Tourism, Medical devices, and IT are the six that come to mind at the moment.

Last edited:

PakFactor

Sep 30, 2019
Country
Pakistan
That’s unfortunately the Pakistani dream. One Gadda (donkey) abroad feeding his 4 brothers, 10 sisters and parents. While Pak-Pakis live off the dole cause they have a „rich“ kid abroad working fast food.

When the brother comes home to visit he gets the attitude like „where is my iPhone 12?“.

The thing is when Pak-Pakis start working they have to give their entire earnings to Ammi and Abbu, so they avoid working hard because it doesn’t have a positive effect cause Ammi and Abbu will guilt trip them
into giving them money.

Teach parents to behave, teach kids to work hard and take care of their future. But it’s easier to live off the fast food money of your older brother.
On point bro, I've said it in another post approximately 1 week ago that parents have more blame than anyone else. They feed this mindset to their other children, and the others become lazy as a result of it. When the funds sent back home or even those living in Pakistan as the sole breadwinners the parents and siblings don't invest or start businesses of any kind, rather eat it away.

Cash GK

Sep 20, 2015
Country
Pakistan
A Pakistani dish washer in Pakistan earns 10,000 PKR a month vs an overseas Pakistani dish washer in Norway who earns 10,000 NOK a month. Why is the one in Norway more productive? Both are doing same kind of labor. Only difference is one in Norway is earning his wage in foreign currency unlike the one in Pakistan.
It is very famous saying here about pakistanis. They are best in small business. Pakistani dont like to work for someone. They only like to work for Pakistanis. All corprate bussines corner shops Restaurants mechanic shops. We are not just dishwasher. You may be a dishwasher. Pakistanis are hard working. They work 16 hours day. 7/24... you need to learn how to respect a hardworking person. They earn thousands but if you ask them how much you spend on yourself and how much send for family. Answer will. Around 300 euros n rest all go to family. 300 euros include food room rent and travel expenses.. you can not defeat them in hardwork. Here in spain people wants Pakistani workers. Because they know they dont demand like locals.

Last edited:

Meengla

Aug 1, 2009
Country
Pakistan
That applies to all economic activity. Those people exporting or producing goods/services in Pakistan are not doing it for the country. They are doing it for themself and their families just like you are.However their and your economic productivity ends up also helping Pakistan as a secondary effect.
No argument against that.
But I take exception to some people bragging about overseas Pakistanis asking for privilege for sending money to Pakistan to help their OWN families. Certainly the govt of Pakistan should ensure the money to Pakistan is sent in secure way and that, if the money is invested, it remains safe. But for Overseas Pakistanis to crow about their contribution as some altruistic measure is not believable. And so was my $115k sent to Pakistan since 2004: It was family support.
Having said all this-- when I bought the Baharia Town Karachi property late last year, I DID do with the intention of trying to help Pakistan. There is a long thread about that purchase started by me where, eventually, I ended up purchasing a property instead of some other meaningful way to help the Motherland. The property has the asking price of about $24,000 more than I had paid barely 7-8 months ago-- profit! But I will probably never see a dime of that because taking money out of the Black Hole of Pakistan, even when I'd be willing to pay appropriate taxes in Pakistan/America, seems like impossible. And at this point in my life--I don't particularly care. I don't need that money.
Life, in my mind, is more than bean-counting. I will be fine whether I get that money or not--around $115,000 already, ironically similar to the amount I sent to Pakistan. But going up and up. It was a very personal, impractical decision I made and there is only a very slight regret about that purchase.

HRK

PDF THINK TANK: CONSULTANT
Sep 24, 2010
Country
Pakistan
Asiatic Lion is more endangered
blame it on the "reduction of their natural habitat" and increase of civilisation which is decreasing the Jungles area therefore lion have two choices for survival first either accept "to go behind the bar" in circus cage or adopt a self exil in some place for the rest of his remaining life .....

Its all about the race for survival we can't afford "whole pride" of of lions to exist in our Jungle but can afford one or two Tigers "as they don't form streak" in wild

That Guy

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Mar 29, 2013
Country
Pakistan
Even if all Pakistanis paid taxes in PKR, they won't have any income in USD. Paying more taxes is not the solution for lack of Pakistani income in USD.

? Whatever overseas Pakistanis send to their relatives goes directly into Pakistani treasury as foreign exchange reserves because local Pakistanis don't use USD. Likewise Pakistani exporters are doing business for their own well being but whatever they earn from abroad also goes into Pakistani treasury as foreign exchange reserves. You have no idea how macro economics work.
View attachment 752951
Pakistan's internal economy doesn't use USD, it uses PKR, and that's all that matters for internal financial stability. A huge chunk of Pakistan's debt is internally borrowed debt, which means PKR.
imigine if murad saeed brought the 200 billion $$$$$$$$$
he said is sitting in swiss accounts?

imagine if , khan brought all the looted money back from mushraf, and slapped it on IMF face,

; looks like a nice dream dosent it?

and shaukat traeen was reading some one,s else written budget!

pakistani tigers, are painted donkeys, !
The Swiss wouldn't allow it. There is a reason why they have some of the most secretive and strictly confidential banking laws in the world (unnecessarily so at that) they know a lot of the money coming in and out of their banks is either grey or outright black money. It's also why even when they acknowledge that the assets they have in their banks are illegal, they ask for proof that no one would realistically be able to provide. Their goal is to keep the money in their banks flowing, they don't care where it comes from. To me, the Swiss banking system is one of the most corrupt in the world.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom