What's new

2nd Dash-8 aircraft: ‘Akash Tori’ arrives in Dhaka

Black_cats

Dec 31, 2010
2nd Dash-8 aircraft: ‘Akash Tori’ arrives in Dhaka
Tribune Report
  • Published at 09:32 pm February 24th, 2021
Akash Tori

Dash-8 aircraft "Akash Tori"arrived in Dhaka on Wednesday, February 24, 2021 Dhaka Tribune

State Minister for Civil Aviation and Tourism Md Mahbub Ali MP received the aircraft from Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport

The second aircraft of the three Dash-8 aircraft, purchased on Government to Government (G-To-G) basis between Bangladesh and Canada, arrived in Dhaka at 5:45pm on Wednesday.

State Minister for Civil Aviation and Tourism Md Mahbub Ali MP received the aircraft from Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport, a press release said.

Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina named this aircraft "Akash Tori".

Immediately after receiving the aircraft, Md Mahbub Ali said: “Sheikh Hasina is working to modernize the fleet of Biman Bangladesh Airlines. This new aircraft "Akash Tori" is part of that drive. The third Dash-8 aircraft will arrive on March 4.”

Under the direction and supervision of the prime minister, 13 completely new and advanced aircraft have already been added to the fleet. In addition, Biman will increase the flight frequency on its domestic and short-haul international routes. At the same time, it will be possible to provide more advanced in-flight services to passengers, he added.

The new 74-seated Dash 8-400 aircraft is built by De Havilland, a well-known Canadian aircraft manufacturer.

The aircraft is equipped with eco-friendly and advanced facilities like HEPA filter technology, that completely purifies the air inside the aircraft by destroying bacteria, viruses and other germs in just four minutes.

Among others, Secretary of the Ministry of Civil Aviation and Tourism Md Mokammel Hossain, Chairman of Biman Bangladesh Airlines Md Sajjadul Hasan, Chairman of Civil Aviation Authority Air Vice Marshal Md Mofidur Rahman and Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Biman Bangladesh Airlines Md Mokabbir Hossain were also present at the event.

Bilal9

ELITE MEMBER
Feb 4, 2014
Country
Bangladesh
Biman has so few aircraft that even the arrival of such a small plane become a news !!
Biman has plenty of 737's, 777's and 787's - fleet size is actually quite respectable compared to the rest of the subcontinent and all of them less than a few years old.

I think these Dash 8-400's are regional planes for DAC-CTG, DAC-SYL, DAC-CCU and DAC-KTM routes. In a pinch, they can run the DAC-MAA (Chennai) route (2000 KM) with these as well, but it would be a stretch.

Michael Corleone

ELITE MEMBER
Oct 27, 2014
Country
Bangladesh
Biman has so few aircraft that even the arrival of such a small plane become a news !!
Fleet is young and growing bruh. Remember we’re to receive some more 787 we bought em half price...
There’s solid expansion plans to 50 aircrafts by 2030, it needs well implementation now.
like I said, drop the hags from cabin crew, increase cuisine variety and we have a winner

Homo Sapiens

ELITE MEMBER
Feb 3, 2015
Country
Bangladesh
Fleet is young and growing bruh. Remember we’re to receive some more 787 we bought em half price...
There’s solid expansion plans to 50 aircrafts by 2030, it needs well implementation now.
like I said, drop the hags from cabin crew, increase cuisine variety and we have a winner
First of all, Biman need to lower it's fair in international routes to become competitive. It's ticket price are some of the highest among the Airlines running in a same destination. Biman only do better where other Airlines are not giving a competition. Such as London-Sylhet-Dhaka route. Here passengers have no other option but to board Biman as Biman has monopoly over this route. Passengers complains about higher fair, but they have no other option. Biman is lucky that many of our Middle Eastern migrant passengers prefer Biman due familiarity and cultural reasons. If they were as calculative as foreign tourists/passengers about cost-benefit return, then Biman would have doomed long ago. Biman charge higher money for a lower quality of services. This need to change first.

Michael Corleone

ELITE MEMBER
Oct 27, 2014
Country
Bangladesh
First of all, Biman need to lower it's fair in international routes to become competitive. It's ticket price are some of the highest among the Airlines running in a same destination. Biman only do better where other Airlines are not giving a competition. Such as London-Sylhet-Dhaka route. Here passengers have no other option but to board Biman as Biman has monopoly over this route. Passengers complains about higher fair, but they have no other option. Biman is lucky that many of our Middle Eastern migrant passengers prefer Biman due familiarity and cultural reasons. If they were as calculative as foreign tourists/passengers about cost-benefit return, then Biman would have doomed long ago. Biman charge higher money for a lower quality of services. This need to change first.
Bruh what routes you’re talking about for example? BIMAN more expensive than other airlines? That’s a first

Homo Sapiens

ELITE MEMBER
Feb 3, 2015
Country
Bangladesh
Bruh what routes you’re talking about for example? BIMAN more expensive than other airlines? That’s a first
I would take a very common route. Dhaka to Dubai. Emirates charge 43,000 Taka while Biman charge 48,000 Taka. Although service would be much much better in the former than the later.
I think the ticket price gap between Biman and other aitlines in some destinations would be even higher, as Dubai and other Middle Eastern destination is considered profitable for Biman and there are so many other options and Biman has no monopoly. I have heard that Dhaka-Sylhet-London ticket price of Biman is very high from the passengers. In this route, only Biman is currently flying.

Michael Corleone

ELITE MEMBER
Oct 27, 2014
Country
Bangladesh
I would take a very common route. Dhaka to Dubai. Emirates charge 43,000 Taka while Biman charge 48,000 Taka. Although service would be much much better in the former than the later.
I think the ticket price gap between Biman and other aitlines in some destinations would be even higher, as Dubai and other Middle Eastern destination is considered profitable for Biman and there are so many other options and Biman has no monopoly. I have heard that Dhaka-Sylhet-London ticket price of Biman is very high from the passengers. In this route, only Biman is currently flying.
Dubai is emirates home base. We probably have to pay slot charges hence the higher price

Homo Sapiens

ELITE MEMBER
Feb 3, 2015
Country
Bangladesh
Dubai is emirates home base. We probably have to pay slot charges hence the higher price
Emirates also need to give slot charge in Dhaka. I think it is mostly related to higher jet fuel price in Bangladesh. Govt. need to reconsider the fuel price if they want Biman to be more competitive.

Whatever, Biman has improved a lot in recent years. They have currently perhaps the youngest fleet in South Asia. And all those brand new planes they own themselves. So they have a tremendous opportunity to expand in coming years with visionary planning and govt. supports like making Jet fuel price in line with other countries where Aviation business is big.

Michael Corleone

ELITE MEMBER
Oct 27, 2014
Country
Bangladesh
Emirates also need to give slot charge in Dhaka. I think it is mostly related to higher jet fuel price in Bangladesh. Govt. need to reconsider the fuel price if they want Biman to be more competitive.

Whatever, Biman has improved a lot in recent years. They have currently perhaps the youngest fleet in South Asia. And all those brand new planes they own themselves. So they have a tremendous opportunity to expand in coming years with visionary planning and govt. supports like making Jet fuel price in line with other countries where Aviation business is big.
Exactly. Don’t know why the fuel price is so high when international oil market collapsed
Also I reckon the slot charges are higher in Dubai, can’t tell for sure

Homo Sapiens

ELITE MEMBER
Feb 3, 2015
Country
Bangladesh
Exactly. Don’t know why the fuel price is so high when international oil market collapsed
Also I reckon the slot charges are higher in Dubai, can’t tell for sure
Govt. did not reduce the tariff even after oil price lowered. Govt. have little capacity to collect income and corporate tax from individuals and business communities. Less than a quarter of all registered companies in Bangladesh give tax while NBR recently found 57,000 non-registered companies who are eligible to give tax but not registered and never given any tax. So Govt. heavily depends on indirect tax like import tax and VAT which increase the commodity price. Unrefined and refined petroleum is one big commodity which give govt. much needed revenue.

Michael Corleone

ELITE MEMBER
Oct 27, 2014
Country
Bangladesh
Govt. did not reduce the tariff even after oil price lowered. Govt. have little capacity to collect income and corporate tax from individuals and business communities. Less than a quarter of all registered companies in Bangladesh give tax while NBR recently found 57,000 non-registered companies who are eligible to give tax but not registered and never given any tax. So Govt. heavily depends on indirect tax like import tax and VAT which increase the commodity price. Unrefined and refined petroleum is one big commodity which give govt. much needed revenue.
Their tax rate is so high people look for ways to evade it.
recently heard the car importers want govt to abolish 400-50p percent tax on cars as they’re no longer considered luxury. It will be proposed on the new budget

Destranator

Jul 20, 2018
Country
Bangladesh
Their tax rate is so high people look for ways to evade it.
recently heard the car importers want govt to abolish 400-50p percent tax on cars as they’re no longer considered luxury. It will be proposed on the new budget

Income tax rates are comically low in BD.

Car import duty is exceptionally high (lazy way to prevent traffic congestions from getting worse in Dhaka and Chittagong.) and not reflective of taxation in general.

mb444

Apr 18, 2012
Country
United Kingdom
Biman is always the cheapest from UK to BD.....not sure about other routes... Biman is by far the cheapest business class i have seen anywhere in any route.

BD to mideast i would take Biman as its better than the crappy ancient planes the likes of emirates uses. However for our people money does matter and if Biman prices are higher they need to look at that. I suspect biman can charge higher due to high demand and shortage of bimans capacity.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom