• Thursday, November 15, 2018

11th general election of Bangladesh on December 23

Discussion in 'Bangladesh Defence Forum' started by Atlas, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Atlas

Atlas FULL MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0 / 305 / -0
    Bangladesh
    11th general election on December 23
    Bilkis Irani: Published at 07:01 pm November 8th, 2018

https://www.dhakatribune.com/bangladesh/election/2018/11/08/11th-general-election-on-december-23

EVMs will be used in a small number of polling centres in the constituencies situated in urban areas, says the CEC

The 11th general election will be held across Bangladesh on December 23.

Chief Election Commission (CEC) KM Nurul Huda announced the date while addressing the nation from Election Commission office in Dhaka’s Agargaon on Thursday evening.

Bangladesh Television and Bangladesh Betar aired the speech.

The candidates who want to run in the polls will have to submit their nomination papers between November 9 and November 19, Huda said.

He added that the nomination papers would be evaluated on November 22, and an aspirant will be able to withdraw his or her candidacy by November 29.

This time, the candidates will be able to submit their nomination papers both online and manually.

Huda said that the Election Commission will use electronic voting machines (EVMs) in a small number of randomly selected voting centres at the urban electoral constituencies.

“We believe using EVMs will raise the standard of the election and save time, money and man-hours,” he said.

Despite objections from many political parties, the use of EVMs became possible through the amendments to the Representation of the People Order (RPO) last month.

The Election Commission plans to use 150,000 EVMs in at least 100 randomly selected constituencies across the country during the vote.

The commission on Thursday also started sending nomination forms and other election materials to the senior district election officers and district election officers at its field level offices from the BG Press at Tejgaon ahead of the polls.

[​IMG]Chief Election Commissioner KM Nurul Huda addresses the nation while announcing the 11th general election's schedule from the Election Commission office in Dhaka's Agargaon on November 8, 2018 | Dhaka Tribune

Security and level-playing field

The CEC in his speech also urged all political parties to resolve disputes or difference of opinions between themselves and participate in the polls.

“I also urge the political parties to remain alert so that competition and rivalry do not turn into retribution or violence,” he said.

He said that over 600,000 members of different law enforcement agencies would be deployed during the election.

“They will have strict directives to ensure that no voters, political leaders and activists, candidates and their supporters and agents are not harassed or accused in cases unreasonably.

“Regardless of parties and opinions, people of all religions, caste, minority communities and genders will be able to exercise their franchise and go home safely afterwards,” Huda said.

He said that all candidates and political parties will enjoy equal facilities during their campaigns. “Level-playing field will be ensured for all. A circular in this regard will be issued very soon too.”

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. UKBengali

UKBengali ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +8 / 13,231 / -2
    Bangladesh
    Expect an easy AL victory for 5 more years of stability and fast economic growth and massive infrastructure capacity increase.

3. Atlas

Atlas FULL MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0 / 305 / -0
    Bangladesh
    If now AL now win ( as BNP decided to participate) it will be acceptable and AL will be considered as democratically elected govt , so let them continue , that's very much acceptable .

However the victory is not going to be easy , if any fair election happen . I want a die hard contest , and surely do not want any party to get simple majority , and no question about super aka brute majority , as 200 seats are much dangerous for democracy in Bangladesh.
    @UKBengali

4. UKBengali

UKBengali ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +8 / 13,231 / -2
    Bangladesh
    Like i already said many times, all the Asian economies like Taiwan, South Korea, China etc have developed or are developing quickly under one-party rule.
    AL is the need of the times and they will romp home to another easy win. Both the general public and the military understands this.

5. Mage

Mage SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1 / 4,797 / -2
    Bangladesh
    Democracy of fool is dangerous for Bangladesh.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Atlas

Atlas FULL MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0 / 305 / -0
    Bangladesh
    So only Al will rule?

South Korea?

7. Mage

Mage SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1 / 4,797 / -2
    Bangladesh
    Let Hasina retire... We will decide then.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. UKBengali

UKBengali ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +8 / 13,231 / -2
    Bangladesh
    South Korea only became democratic in 1987 when it was far richer than BD is today.
    BD is not ready for real democracy now.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Mage

Mage SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1 / 4,797 / -2
    Bangladesh
    Parties should start practicing democracy internally, not do as Hasina/Khaleda says, before the country gets democratic.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Species

Species SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1 / 4,841 / -6
    Bangladesh
    I have a feeling they are just negotiating seat sharing rather than a free-fair election.

It looks like AL will return to power but not with absolute majority like it has currently, with Oikyo Front being the main opposition at parliament.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Mage

Mage SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1 / 4,797 / -2
    Bangladesh
    Kamal gonna be opposition leader?

12. Atlas

Atlas FULL MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0 / 305 / -0
    Bangladesh
    Ok Thank you for the information.

I will let @bluesky to counter this part, if he wants . I don't think I am able to counter you effectively in this particular case. Although your thoughts are dangerous still you have some points . But You are making Hasina as a goddess, and that's a practice of political cult

I agree with this part.

You have spoken my words man.

13. Mage

Mage SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1 / 4,797 / -2
    Bangladesh
    If it is between Hasina and Khaleda, I see Hasina as a better fit. That's all. But she surely has a lot of faults as well. Basically, I want the old politicians to simply retire from politics. So that we can look forward to something different.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  14. Species

Species SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1 / 4,841 / -6
    Bangladesh
    Don't know. Not sure whether or when Khaleda will be released. There seems to be some serious politics going on.

Both Kamal and Khaleda are not really in the best of their health. As a matter of fact, Hasina too is 71 years old!

15. Atlas

Atlas FULL MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0 / 305 / -0
    Bangladesh
    Okay if it's between only Hasina and khaleda , then that's fine . I will choose Hasina anytime over khaleda Zia , any time .
    I want Khaleda out from BD politics , once and for all .