What's new

Zorawar Singh Memorial in Tibet

punjabis are bit taller if u take average i am 6'2 and most of my 1st cousins are 6+ and i am a punjabi Yindoo Baniya :woot:

Indian size proved nothing, I can continue to dig up some pictures in internet to prove short sized Indian
Lal-Bahadur-Shastri-Mohammad-Ayub-Khan.jpg

another one
upload_2016-5-10_11-49-39.jpeg

This thread is an example of how things move in a tangent .

The subject here is Zorawar Singh & the discussion veers off to height of people of various communities !!

Instead of having just Gandhi on our banknotes, why can't we have figures from all rich history also?

Currency note is not a history text book.

It represents a solemn promise, and the image on it represents a man who's integrity was beyond question. A man who held any promise as a sacred vow which cannot be broken.

The following quotes are credited to him,

- A vow is fixed and unalterable determination to do a thing, when such a determination is related to something noble which can only uplift the man who makes the resolve.

- Your capacity to keep your vow will depend on the purity of your life.

- Personally, I hold that a man, who deliberately and intelligently takes a pledge and then breaks it, forfeits his manhood.

There are many such quotes ,

Rabindranath Tagore on the other hand held that the human spirit could not be bound by any Vow or Promise and all Promises were made to be Broken.

So if you want to put a face on a solemn promise, who would you choose ? Gandhi or Tagore ?

It is the classic "Baniya" mentality vs "Liberal" mentality.

Currency note is not a history text book.

It represents a solemn promise, and the image on it represents a man who's integrity was beyond question. A man who held any promise as a sacred vow which cannot be broken.

The following quotes are credited to him,

- A vow is fixed and unalterable determination to do a thing, when such a determination is related to something noble which can only uplift the man who makes the resolve.

- Your capacity to keep your vow will depend on the purity of your life.

- Personally, I hold that a man, who deliberately and intelligently takes a pledge and then breaks it, forfeits his manhood.

There are many such quotes ,

Rabindranath Tagore on the other hand held that the human spirit could not be bound by any Vow or Promise and all Promises were made to be Broken.

So if you want to put a face on a solemn promise, who would you choose ? Gandhi or Tagore ?

It is the classic "Baniya" mentality vs "Liberal" mentality.

It is not that, let me give you a example in the UK we have the Queens image but on the back of the note we still can have various interesting historical people so why can't that be done with notes in India?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15522387

We are likely to see many of their names and faces every day, but how much do we know about the historical characters on our banknotes?

Anyone lucky enough to get their hands on a £50 will - on the newest notes - find the portraits of industrialist Matthew Boulton (1728-1809) and James Watt (1736-1819).

_56407514_50note.jpg

Image captionBoulton (left) and Watt were two key figures in the Industrial Revolution
The former, as an entrepreneur, was key to the emergence of Birmingham as a centre for manufacturing.

Meanwhile, Watt was an engineer and scientist who improved the steam engine and, encouraged by Boulton, made one for the textile and cotton spinning industry.

He introduced the term "horsepower" and the metric unit of power is named after him.

The reason both appear on the £50 note is that their partnership brought steam-driven machinery to the minting of coins.

It is not that, let me give you a example in the UK we have the Queens image but on the back of the note we still can have various interesting historical people so why can't that be done with notes in India?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15522387

We are likely to see many of their names and faces every day, but how much do we know about the historical characters on our banknotes?

Anyone lucky enough to get their hands on a £50 will - on the newest notes - find the portraits of industrialist Matthew Boulton (1728-1809) and James Watt (1736-1819).

_56407514_50note.jpg

Image captionBoulton (left) and Watt were two key figures in the Industrial Revolution
The former, as an entrepreneur, was key to the emergence of Birmingham as a centre for manufacturing.

Meanwhile, Watt was an engineer and scientist who improved the steam engine and, encouraged by Boulton, made one for the textile and cotton spinning industry.

He introduced the term "horsepower" and the metric unit of power is named after him.

The reason both appear on the £50 note is that their partnership brought steam-driven machinery to the minting of coins.

Our currency reflect OUR INDIAN PHILOSOPHY and that is completely different from Western Philosophy.

Indian Philosophy, culture, religion, society is "Dharma" centric, Western culture, religion, society etc is "History" centric.

I do not see why we have to blindly 'ape' the west. We have put up Gandhi because it speaks of OUR Philosophy.

Our Currency reflects who we are.

Gandhi was called "Mahatma" here which meant 'great Atma'. Atma is very different from the christian 'soul'. It is a unique dharmic term. You are looking at Gandhi from a western perspective and you think that their interpretation of Gandhi is who he is.

The Indian perspective is multi layers and multi faceted. You need to view Gandhi from a Indian perspective.

Our currency reflect OUR INDIAN PHILOSOPHY and that is completely different from Western Philosophy.

Indian Philosophy, culture, religion, society is "Dharma" centric, Western culture, religion, society etc is "History" centric.

I do not see why we have to blindly 'ape' the west. We have put up Gandhi because it speaks of OUR Philosophy.

Our Currency reflects who we are.

Gandhi was called "Mahatma" here which meant 'great Atma'. Atma is very different from the christian 'soul'. It is a unique dharmic term. You are looking at Gandhi from a western perspective and you think that their interpretation of Gandhi is who he is.

The Indian perspective is multi layers and multi faceted. You need to view Gandhi from a Indian perspective.

Well considering I am Gujarati and my forefathers town is Porbandar I think I know a thing or two about Gandhi would you not think so?

I never asked you to put white English faces on the back of the Rupee notes my question was why can't other Indian historical figures be added also?

There are many figures like Shivaji, Rani Jhansi, Guru Gobin Singh, Guru Arjun Singh, Netaji, famous Indian mathematicians, list goes on so why can't they also have a place on the notes?

Notes in UK are always evolving and new characters are added these keeps things interesting and exciting, plus kids at school start being more aware when they look at the back of the note they (google names and learn about the person)

Well considering I am Gujarati and my forefathers town is Porbandar I think I know a thing or two about Gandhi would you not think so?

I never asked you to put white English faces on the back of the Rupee notes my question was why can't other Indian historical figures be added also?

There are many figures like Shivaji, Rani Jhansi, Guru Gobin Singh, Guru Arjun Singh, Netaji, famous Indian mathematicians, list goes on so why can't they also have a place on the notes?

Notes in UK are always evolving and new characters are added these keeps things interesting and exciting, plus kids at school start being more aware when they look at the back of the note they (google names and learn about the person)

You are back to talking about "HISTORY' centric view of India.

ALL the names you mentioned are HISTORIC figures.

I am telling you that Indian view is "DHARMA" centric. Gandhi personified "dharma" in his political life.

He rejected pleasures, took 'sanyas' for all practical matters. He wore only clothes that he himself made. His fight was based on dharmic values, the food he ate was dharmic, his value systems were dharmic, his view of life and society was dharmic, his philosophy about fighting evil was dharmic since it did not talk about getting free in this "lifetime". He aspired for 'Ram Rajya'. His view on Cows, diet, etc were all dharmic.

THAT is why Rabidranath Tagore titled him 'Mahan Atma' (Mahatma). Tagore spoke about his ATMA , not his physical body. The rest of India called him Mahatma, the spoke about his Atma, not his body as Gandhi. His Atma was Gandhi.

You can put 'Buddha' on the currency, but it will not be appropriate since he advocated RENOUNCING wealth.

More importantly Gandhi has wide acceptance. He is accepted as our own in ALL parts of India. No one has bothered to appropriate him because Gandhi himself rejected his singular identity.

You are back to talking about "HISTORY' centric view of India.

ALL the names you mentioned are HISTORIC figures.

I am telling you that Indian view is "DHARMA" centric. Gandhi personified "dharma" in his political life.

He rejected pleasures, took 'sanyas' for all practical matters. He wore only clothes that he himself made. His fight was based on dharmic values, the food he ate was dharmic, his value systems were dharmic, his view of life and society was dharmic, his philosophy about fighting evil was dharmic since it did not talk about getting free in this "lifetime". He aspired for 'Ram Rajya'. His view on Cows, diet, etc were all dharmic.

THAT is why Rabidranath Tagore titled him 'Mahan Atma' (Mahatma). Tagore spoke about his ATMA , not his physical body. The rest of India called him Mahatma, the spoke about his Atma, not his body as Gandhi. His Atma was Gandhi.

You can put 'Buddha' on the currency, but it will not be appropriate since he advocated RENOUNCING wealth.

More importantly Gandhi has wide acceptance. He is accepted as our own in ALL parts of India. No one has bothered to appropriate him because Gandhi himself rejected his singular identity.

You need to evolve with the times heck even the RSS is giving up their Khaki shorts, stop all these Gandhi this and Dharmic this (we are a secular country) there were figures as important as Gandhi or even more so. I never asked to remove him but I asked we can also incorporate other figures on the back of the notes such as our famous ancient mathematicians and likes.

You need to evolve with the times heck even the RSS is giving up their Khaki shorts, stop all these Gandhi this and Dharmic this (we are a secular country) there were figures as important as Gandhi or even more so. I never asked to remove him but I asked we can also incorporate other figures on the back of the notes such as our famous ancient mathematicians and likes.

What do I care what RSS has done. Let them wear shorts or pants or dhoti. That is their prerogative.

We are a Dharmic country and the secularism we practice is 'Sarva Dharma Sama Bhava' i.e. 'equal respect to ALL religion' which is a unique Hindu concept and is relevant only to India. So our version of 'secularism' is rooted in Hinduism, not separate from it.

So before you talk about 'secularism', it pays to understand what it means in India.

In any case we do not have authentic pictures of our Mathematicians so the whole question is moot.

What do I care what RSS has done. Let them wear shorts or pants or dhoti. That is their prerogative.

We are a Dharmic country and the secularism we practice is 'Sarva Dharma Sama Bhava' i.e. 'equal respect to ALL religion' which is a unique Hindu concept and is relevant only to India. So our version of 'secularism' is rooted in Hinduism, not separate from it.

So before you talk about 'secularism', it pays to understand what it means in India.

In any case we do not have authentic pictures of our Mathematicians so the whole question is moot.

Really? so where does it say in the constitution we are a Dharmic country? I must have failed to read it. I was reading the Upanishads when you were in school my friend are you really going to enlighten me on what Hinduism is? :lol:

We do not know what Buddha looked like or Krishna yet we still have pictures of them do we not? You seem to contradict yourself one minute you talking about Gandhi this or that and other India being a Dharmic country.

Most countries have new figures added because times are always changing nothing is forever but you seem to be stuck in the same period.

Really? so where does it say in the constitution we are a Dharmic country? I must have failed to read it. I was reading the Upanishads when you were in school my friend are you really going to enlighten me on what Hinduism is? :lol:

We do not know what Buddha looked like or Krishna yet we still have pictures of them do we not? You seem to contradict yourself one minute you talking about Gandhi this or that and other India being a Dharmic country.

Most countries have new figures added because times are always changing nothing is forever but you seem to be stuck in the same period.

LOL..... this should be interesting. Which Upanishads have you read ?

I just explained to you that our secularisms is defined as "sarva dharma sambhav". Which part of that did you not understand ? Which part of that is not Dharmic ?

Do you think christianity or Islam allows you to give 'equal respect' to other religion ? :lol:

Our Constitution is based on Dharma which is why it does not give absolute 'freedom of speech'. That is because 'Dharma" is a DUTY based value system while the western constitution is RIGHT bases values.

The Dharmic influence on the Indian Constitutions gives you RIGHT but with DUTY. So you have right to Free speech, but you have duty not to annoy anyone and crate disturbance. Unlike the US constitution, Indians do not have 'Absolute Rights'

Indian constitution gives churchs and mosques autonomy, but the same is not given to Hindu temples.

There are a hundred such examples and it will be visible if you have the clarity of thought to understand the constitution and view it form the right perspective.

India is not 'most countries'. We are a not merely a political entity like 'most countries'. India is unique because it is a civilization-state. So all those things that apply to 'most countries' might no apply to India.

LOL..... this should be interesting. Which Upanishads have you read ?

I just explained to you that our secularisms is defined as "sarva dharma sambhav". Which part of that did you not understand ? Which part of that is not Dharmic ?

Do you think christianity or Islam allows you to give 'equal respect' to other religion ? :lol:

Our Constitution is based on Dharma which is why it does not give absolute 'freedom of speech'. That is because 'Dharma" is a DUTY based value system while the western constitution is RIGHT bases values.

The Dharmic influence on the Indian Constitutions gives you RIGHT but with DUTY. So you have right to Free speech, but you have duty not to annoy anyone and crate disturbance. Unlike the US constitution, Indians do not have 'Absolute Rights'

Indian constitution gives churchs and mosques autonomy, but the same is not given to Hindu temples.

There are a hundred such examples and it will be visible if you have the clarity of thought to understand the constitution and view it form the right perspective.

India is not 'most countries'. We are a not merely a political entity like 'most countries'. India is unique because it is a civilization-state. So all those things that apply to 'most countries' might no apply to India.

I stop reading after you said our constitution does not give absolute freedom of speech, you think any country does? Nope there is laws like hate speech which prevent certain taboo subjects.

I think you don't even know what you are saying, one minute you say this and later you contridict yourself.

What can I advice you is to go see the world and you will get a view from different perspectives.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom