What's new

YouTube blocked in China

Al-zakir

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United States

updated 9:22 a.m. EDT, Wed March 25, 2009
BEIJING, China (CNN) -- China has blocked the popular video-sharing Web site YouTube but did not offer a reason for the ban.
A general screenshot of YouTube, which was blocked in China as of Wednesday.

A general screenshot of YouTube, which was blocked in China as of Wednesday.

Google, which owns YouTube, said it began noticing a decline in traffic from China about noon Monday.

By early Wednesday, site users insider China continued to encounter an error message: "Network Timeout. The server at youtube.com is taking too long to respond."

"We do not know the reason for the blockage and we are working as quickly as possible to restore access to our users," said Scott Rubin, a spokesman for Google, which owns YouTube.

It's not the first time users in China have been unable to access the site. In March 2008, China blocked YouTube during riots in Tibet. Video Watch more about the decision »

At the time, protesters burned vehicles and shops, some advocating independence from China, and others demonstrating against the growing influence of the Han Chinese in the area.

The subsequent crackdown left 18 civilians and one police officer dead, according to the Chinese government. Tibet's self-proclaimed government-in-exile put the death toll from the protests at 140.

Many in the country speculated the latest ban may be an attempt to filter access to footage that a Tibetan exile group released. The videos show Tibetans being kicked and beaten, allegedly by Chinese police officers after the riots.

"Though there is much footage of the protests taking place throughout Tibet last year that were splashed across the world, the following is rare footage of police beating of protesters, the suffering and death of a captive, and paramilitary presence in Lhasa (the Tibetan capital), which managed to make its way to the outside world," the Tibetan government-in-exile in Dharamsala, India, said of the videos.

Xinhua, China's state news agency, accused the supporters of Tibet's spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama, of doctoring the video to "deceive the international community."

China, with 298 million Internet users, has routinely blocked access to Web sites it considers politically unacceptable, including the Voice of America and The New York Times. The Chinese government has also censored television broadcasts, including those by the BBC and CNN, during coverage of issues such as its policy in Tibet and Taiwan.

The Chinese government did not directly address whether it has blocked

"China is not afraid of the Internet," said Foreign Ministry spokesman Qin Gang on Tuesday. "We manage the Internet according to law ... to prevent the spread of harmful information."

YouTube, which allows users to upload and share videos, has been banned periodically in other countries as well. Bangladesh, Pakistan, Thailand and Turkey temporarily shut off access to the site after users uploaded content the countries' governments considered politically embarrassing.

YouTube blocked in China - CNN.com

A lot of countries are at the moment looking at blocking web access under the notion of "anti terror" laws.
Australian is looking like installing their own "great wirewall of China", lot of public anger about it, especially the with the list of blocked sites being secret.
One of the worst things a government can do is keeping its people in the dark imo. It surely is taking progress backwards

Aren't you the one who claims China has nothing to fear?

its not good .i don't like to block any site or tv channel without ****. people have right to know every thing.there is millions of viedeos of chaina there also is youtube block pro chaina viedeos?

Youtube has its pro's and con's.

On one hand, it's one of the most important source for multimedia information in the world.

On the other hand, it's also a source for every other Dumbass to post his/her point of views for anyone to see. For the younger generation, Youtube is becoming a source for mindless, inaccurate and worthless entertainment and knowledge. Which ultimately leads to the corruption of the vulnerable mind.

There are a lot of decent alternatives to Youtube coming out and China is better off without them anyway. China is a progressing and "Intelligent" nation. They wouldn't want their younger generation to end up like the "Japanese" and if banning youtube is a start, then I'm with them :tup:

amazed to know this..China is a big country with gr8 army.they have a good ability to stop any kind of accident ..

want to know more that what is the biggest reason to block utube..

This entire debate boils down to freedom of speech and expression I think which China does not provide as fundamental right. Its their country let em abide by their rules. I'm just glad that I'm not from the deprived section.

Freedom of speech and expression is an illusion.

What do you mean you're not from the deprived section? Think again!!! I am sure you're deprived somewhere or of something.

Life goes on whether YouTube exists or not and I guarantee you won't miss a thing. You're a fool if your knowledge or understanding is based on YouTube.

This entire debate boils down to freedom of speech and expression I think which China does not provide as fundamental right. Its their country let em abide by their rules. I'm just glad that I'm not from the deprived section.

Youtube is a Western Propaganda machine!

How powerful can a Nation be if it's afraid of its own people making up their own minds. That too a video sharing site best known for Chocolate Rain and the Dramatic Hamster. They are a giant with feet made of clay.

Back
Top Bottom