What's new

Y-20 heavy transport aircraft News & Discussions

So exactly what I said above !
you don't understand Chinese,
what i mean is that :
1,do you see the orange part of the last photo of Y20 internal bone, different form the new Y20,
2, aerodynamic cover is perfectly installed on the new Y20 where you said is saved,even painted.
so it is a new derivative of Y20

you don't understand Chinese,
what i mean is that :
1,do you see the orange part of the last photo of Y20 internal bone, different form the new Y20,
2, aerodynamic cover is perfectly installed on the new Y20 where you said is saved,even painted.
so it is a new derivative of Y20

No ... where are these covers and fairings You mean to see? What kind of orange internal bone ???

IMO it is exactly as on the A380 You posted, the wing root fairings/join as well as the main gear fairings simply haven't been installed since they are not necessary on a structural test-bird.

But I'm eager to learn and I won't mind if I would be wrong.

the original picture is not clear, so you may be correct, but there are other possiblities,
QQ图片20161217234935.png

if the internal structure of y20 ,lower one, is correct, then it is different form the new one, upper one. the orange bone vanised on the upper photo.

second, as you said if the cover is saved, not necessary for structural test, then you will see some internal grid instead of the skin, as you see on A380, but what do you see? it is painted smooth skin.
QQ截图20161217235556.jpg

By the way, any info on how many Y-20s were finally delivered until year's end?

What will the max manufacturing capacity per year?

No official data yet. XAC is the only production site now, a fair estimate is max 16-20 per year (reference: peak production rate for C-17 was 16 per year, from 2002-2009), note XAC is already under workload in many product lines. Another constraint is money, when government tightly control overall defence spend at ¥954 billion (2016; only equivalent to 1.28% of GDP), which is further spread thin across many departments from navy, strategic rocket to space, PLAAF has to prioritize their procurement. I estimate the fly away cost of one Y20 may touch ¥1 billion, and even higher in early batches.

Last edited:
No official data yet. XAC is the only production site now, a fair estimate is max 16-20 per year (reference: peak production rate for C-17 was 16 per year, from 2002-2009), note XAC is already under workload in many product lines. Another constraint is money, when government tightly control overall defence spend at ¥954 billion (2016; only equivalent to 1.28% of GDP), which is further spread thin across many departments from navy, strategic rocket to space, PLAAF has to prioritize their procurement. I estimate the fly away cost of one Y20 may touch ¥1 billion, and even higher in early batches.

oki but 140Mil$ for a Y-20 is not that cheap. a C-17 with all his advantages is around 200Mil$. Well at least it's an avalable alternative for countries who do not have C-17 alike planes.

But the rate today/right now is probably 4-6 per year at best !

Back
Top Bottom