What's new

World Bank declares Financial Year 2013-14 a Wonderful Year for Pakistan

Shabaz Sharif

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
WASHINGTON: Appreciating the prudent economic policies, initiated by Pakistan during the Fiscal Year 2013-14, the World Bank has declared it "a Wonderful Year for Pakistan".
"Last fiscal year, ending June 30, was truly a wonderful year for Pakistan" a statement of the World Bank said on Friday.

The World Bank said that "there was a lot of positive sentiment about the country in the ranks of Senior Management and the Executive Board who wished to see Pakistan succeed in its efforts toward reducing extreme poverty and sharing prosperity; objectives closely aligned to the World Bank Group's twin goals. Support so far has been unanimous and substantial".

The Bank further said that till about nine months ago officials in the Bank were having sleepless nights, concerned about the non-commitment and utilization of the remaining US$ 1.6 billion in the final year of IDA-16 which would have lapsed, cancelled or diverted elsewhere had timely measures not been initiated.

However, the year ended with a record disbursement of US$ 1.695 billion, of which the major chunk (more than 90%) was from highly concessional IDA.

It added that the delivery targets were not only met, but the new IDA commitments of US$1.873 billion also indicate a record financing for Pakistan.

"IDA-16 balance from the country allocation was fully utilized and additional finances were accessed from the balances available with regional allocations and through recommitted funds from other IDA cancellations", it added.

The World Bank also said that the different instruments were used to either commit or disburse the finances. On the investment side, DASU Hydropower and CASA 1000 were noteworthy, especially in view of the fact that CASA, which aims at establishing regional connectivity, had remained in limbo for the last almost fifteen years.

Similarly, DASU, after Tarbela, would be the biggest hydropower station in the country.

"On the policy side, two Development Policy Credits of US$ 1.0 billion were approved, focusing on power and growth", it said.

The World Bank further said that the Provinces have also been associated with this development effort during this period.

"Punjab Public Management Reform Programme and Sindh Agriculture Growth Project have been approved from IDA resources and a number of projects in KPK and Balochistan provinces are currently being financed from multi-donor trust funds, wherein several new commitments have been ensured",it added.

"The World Bank has also delivered a new Country Partnership Strategy for the Group which has an assistance envelope of US$ 11 billion over a period of four years. It supports the Government's vision of development through the four Es (i.e. Education, Energy, Economy and eliminating Extremism)",it remarked.

The World Bank said that International Finance Corporation (IFC), the private sector arm of the World Bank Group, is also coming in a big way to finance private power projects in Pakistan.

It added that a case in point is their recent equity investment with Three Gorges Company of China to set up hydel, wind and solar projects aiming to generate additional 3,200 MWs of electricity in the country.

IFC's stamping and branding would be instrumental in bringing five to six billion dollars of foreign-direct investment in Pakistan in the next three years or so.

A signing ceremony has been scheduled in this regard in Islamabad next month.

The Bank also said that "from all counts, last year was an exceptional year for Pakistan in the World Bank. More often than not, and even from a historical perspective, such window of opportunity is usually brief and small."

The World Bank stressed that need for, carrying forward the momentum of the last year by building on the goodwill generated thus far and matching it with performance and results.

Copyright APP (Associated Press of Pakistan), 2014

WASHINGTON: Appreciating the prudent economic policies, initiated by Pakistan during the Fiscal Year 2013-14, the World Bank has declared it "a Wonderful Year for Pakistan".
"Last fiscal year, ending June 30, was truly a wonderful year for Pakistan" a statement of the World Bank said on Friday.

The World Bank said that "there was a lot of positive sentiment about the country in the ranks of Senior Management and the Executive Board who wished to see Pakistan succeed in its efforts toward reducing extreme poverty and sharing prosperity; objectives closely aligned to the World Bank Group's twin goals. Support so far has been unanimous and substantial".

The Bank further said that till about nine months ago officials in the Bank were having sleepless nights, concerned about the non-commitment and utilization of the remaining US$ 1.6 billion in the final year of IDA-16 which would have lapsed, cancelled or diverted elsewhere had timely measures not been initiated.

However, the year ended with a record disbursement of US$ 1.695 billion, of which the major chunk (more than 90%) was from highly concessional IDA.

It added that the delivery targets were not only met, but the new IDA commitments of US$1.873 billion also indicate a record financing for Pakistan.

"IDA-16 balance from the country allocation was fully utilized and additional finances were accessed from the balances available with regional allocations and through recommitted funds from other IDA cancellations", it added.

The World Bank also said that the different instruments were used to either commit or disburse the finances. On the investment side, DASU Hydropower and CASA 1000 were noteworthy, especially in view of the fact that CASA, which aims at establishing regional connectivity, had remained in limbo for the last almost fifteen years.

Similarly, DASU, after Tarbela, would be the biggest hydropower station in the country.

"On the policy side, two Development Policy Credits of US$ 1.0 billion were approved, focusing on power and growth", it said.

The World Bank further said that the Provinces have also been associated with this development effort during this period.

"Punjab Public Management Reform Programme and Sindh Agriculture Growth Project have been approved from IDA resources and a number of projects in KPK and Balochistan provinces are currently being financed from multi-donor trust funds, wherein several new commitments have been ensured",it added.

"The World Bank has also delivered a new Country Partnership Strategy for the Group which has an assistance envelope of US$ 11 billion over a period of four years. It supports the Government's vision of development through the four Es (i.e. Education, Energy, Economy and eliminating Extremism)",it remarked.

The World Bank said that International Finance Corporation (IFC), the private sector arm of the World Bank Group, is also coming in a big way to finance private power projects in Pakistan.

It added that a case in point is their recent equity investment with Three Gorges Company of China to set up hydel, wind and solar projects aiming to generate additional 3,200 MWs of electricity in the country.

IFC's stamping and branding would be instrumental in bringing five to six billion dollars of foreign-direct investment in Pakistan in the next three years or so.

A signing ceremony has been scheduled in this regard in Islamabad next month.

The Bank also said that "from all counts, last year was an exceptional year for Pakistan in the World Bank. More often than not, and even from a historical perspective, such window of opportunity is usually brief and small."

The World Bank stressed that need for, carrying forward the momentum of the last year by building on the goodwill generated thus far and matching it with performance and results.

Copyright APP (Associated Press of Pakistan), 2014

Good post.

p.s. How on earth you got banned? What did you do?

Did you do any poohndi on PDF girls? hahaha. I mean must be something serious.

Good post.

p.s. How on earth you got banned? What did you do?

Did you do any poohndi on PDF girls? hahaha. I mean must be something serious.
There are many members on PDF which I like and they get banned when I see them next time. When I had the power to see infractions it was easier to find out what happened exactly.. and trust me most of the times they were legitimate violations.

@ topic

Well it is incorrect to call it a wonderful year as we have not seen a growth rate of 15% or something and the inflation to below 5% for example sake. It was just like another year but the good thing is that the net losses incurred by major business entities of the government had reduced showing positive signs for future.

There are many members on PDF which I like and they get banned when I see them next time. When I had the power to see infractions it was easier to find out what happened exactly.. and trust me most of the times they were legitimate violations.

@ topic

Well it is incorrect to call it a wonderful year as we have not seen a growth rate of 15% or something and the inflation to below 5% for example sake. It was just like another year but the good thing is that the net losses incurred by major business entities of the government had reduced showing positive signs for future.

I remember last year public sector lost $5 billion, how much this year?

I remember last year public sector lost $5 billion, how much this year?
Well I believe the latest report is not yet released for this year. But the point to notice is that some of the government entities such as UBL is already been privatised so the total number of losses is bound to go down, if not by improvement then privatisation. Two menace of Pakistan government (Pakistan Railways and PIA) are both going towards right direction by posting less losses in every coming day. So if the government followed the IMF policy of privatising every loss-making company in Pakistan, there will be steep downtrend in overall losses of the state owned entities.

Well I believe the latest report is not yet released for this year. But the point to notice is that some of the government entities such as UBL is already been privatised so the total number of losses is bound to go down, if not by improvement then privatisation. Two menace of Pakistan government (Pakistan Railways and PIA) are both going towards right direction by posting less losses in every coming day. So if the government followed the IMF policy of privatising every loss-making company in Pakistan, there will be steep downtrend in overall losses of the state owned entities.

PIA and Railways losses were about 80-90 billion or lets say 100 billion. So from where loss of Rs 400 billion is coming from?

PIA and Railways losses were about 80-90 billion or lets say 100 billion. So from where loss of Rs 400 billion is coming from?
There are many state owned companies of Pakistan but top 30 makes up to 90% of the losses. That includes Pakistan Steel Mills, PIA, PR, PSO, GESCO, IESCO, some from banking sectors and energy etc.

Back
Top Bottom