What's new

With own 5-Gen fighter project with Russia, should India need US jet?

SHIKKAR

New Recruit

Reaction score
Read more: With own 5-Gen fighter project with Russia, India not

keen on US jet - The Times of India

NEW DELHI: India has no plans as of now to either join the US-led joint strike fighter (JSF) programme or buy the F-35 `Lightning-II' fifth-generation fighter aircraft (FGFA) when it finally becomes operational.

"We cannot have two types of FGFA. We have already launched preliminary work for our FGFA after inking the $295 million preliminary design contract (PDC) with Russia last month,'' said a top defence ministry official on Friday.

This comes in the wake of comments made by a top Pentagon official, undersecretary of defence for acquisition, technology and logistics Ashton Carter, in Washington that the US was open to Indian participation in its JSF project.

Interestingly, the comments came during a function where an aggressive sales pitch was made for India to select either the American F/A-18 `Super Hornet' ( Boeing) or F-16 `Falcon' ( Lockheed Martin) over their European rivals in the ongoing IAF's medium multi-role combat aircraft (MMRCA) contest.

The other 4.5-generation fighters in the hotly-contested race to bag the $10.4 billion MMRCA project, under which 18 jets will be bought off-the-shelf and another 108 will be manufactured in India under transfer of technology, are Eurofighter Typhoon, Swedish Gripen (Saab), French Rafale (Dassault) and Russian MiG-35 (United Aircraft Corporation).

The IAF force matrix for the coming years revolves around the 270 Sukhoi-30MKIs contracted from Russia for around $12 billion, the 126 MMRCA and 120 indigenous Tejas Light Combat Aircraft, apart from upgraded MiG-29s and Mirage-2000s.

In the decades ahead, the advanced stealth FGFA to be developed with Russia will be the mainstay of India's combat fleet. "Our FGFA will be cheaper than the F-35. Moreover, the intellectual property rights of the FGFA will equally and jointly vest on both India and Russia, with full access to the source code and the like,'' said another senior official.

With a potent mix of super-manoeuvrability and supersonic cruising ability, the "swing-role'' FGFA will of course not come cheap. The cost of designing, infrastructure build-up, prototype development and flight testing has been pegged at around $11 billion, with India and Russia chipping in with $5.5 billion each.

Over and above this, each of the 250-300 FGFA India hopes to begin inducting from 2020 onwards will cost around $100 million each. In all, India will spend upwards of $35 billion over the next two decades in its biggest-ever defence project till now.

The Indian FGFA will primarily be based on the single-seater Sukhoi T-50, the prototype of which is already flying in Russia, but will include a twin-seater version and a more powerful engine with greater thrust.

"Its complete design will be frozen by the end of the 18-month PDC. Six to seven of its prototypes should be flying by 2017. After that, there will be 2,500 hours of flight-testing over 25 months before the series production begins in 2019,'' he said.

Well that is true
Airforce was never interested in F35A , but the navy is becoz like airforce , it will require a 5th gen fighter and Pakfa would be far too large to operate from Aircraft carriers
Hence my opinion is that Navy could opt for F35B/C in future since its requirement is for 40-50 aircrafts compared to airforce which would require in excess of 250 5th gen fighters

Those people who might say that navy can get a Navalised version of AMCA , do not know that at present AMCA is nothing more than a wind testing Model and IAF Aircraft requirement documents
Should full scale work begin on the project as expected by 2013 it will be take 10 yrs for prototype development and another 5 yrs for IOC
Taking into account expected delays i dont see AMCA entering service with IAF before 2030 and in navy before 2035
While navy requires a new fighter by 2018
Now navy could opt for a F/A18 or Rafale for its Nmrca contract should any of these fighters win mmrca contract or it can decide that it wants a 5th gen fighter to operate from its carrier at the same time as airforce gets its 5TH GEN fighter

Well that is true
Airforce was never interested in F35A , but the navy is becoz like airforce , it will require a 5th gen fighter and Pakfa would be far too large to operate from Aircraft carriers
Hence my opinion is that Navy could opt for F35B/C in future since its requirement is for 40-50 aircrafts compared to airforce which would require in excess of 250 5th gen fighters

Those people who might say that navy can get a Navalised version of AMCA , do not know that at present AMCA is nothing more than a wind testing Model and IAF Aircraft requirement documents
Should full scale work begin on the project as expected by 2013 it will be take 10 yrs for prototype development and another 5 yrs for IOC
Taking into account expected delays i dont see AMCA entering service with IAF before 2030 and in navy before 2035
Now navy could opt for a F/A18 or Rafale for its Nmrca contract should any of these fighters win mmrca contract or it can decide that it wants a 5th gen fighter to operate from its carrier at the same time as airforce gets its 5TH GEN fighter

Sounds like AMCA is absolete before it left the drawing board, just like LCA and Arjun. I don't think AMCA should be something that Indian AF should rely on. Instead, spend money to learn the technology and looking forward to the next generation plane (6th generation)instead of creating a full scale project that will be outdated when its ready.

Well that is true

i agree with u sir, F-35b will be a nice replacement for our sea harriers, given that they agree with full ToT and radar source codes. 30-40 of these birds will add a significant punch in our naval power. :sniper:

@ Archie , LCA is a Fighter Which India developed after creating necessary Infrastructures which were not present when the project was Initiated, And our Scientists have Got Significant Knowledge and Skill developing LCA and With the joint Su 30 MKI,FGFA in development Our Scientists Would Be Perfectly Nurtured to make the next Gen Aircraft ...

Dhruv was a Much and Equally Criticized Product which took 10 yrs for a Prototype to fly where as LCH took off in 4 years....

Sounds like AMCA is absolete before it left the drawing board, just like LCA and Arjun. I don't think AMCA should be something that Indian AF should rely on. Instead, spend money to learn the technology and looking forward to the next generation plane (6th generation)instead of creating a full scale project that will be outdated when its ready.
Hope AMCA wont' face the same fate as LCA, while 2017 is rather a very optimistic timeline for the first prototype, we can expect the first prototype to fly before 2020 and induction should start before 2025.
:pop:

A Taiwanese flag,interesting

well we atleast bring something on drawing board,r not on the complete mercy of American's.

Atleast try to put some effort,atleat bring something to the drawing board,never trust the American's,they will be mere spectators when China will whip ur a$$.

Can you tell me the most famous product of your country?. this is not a mocking question ... but a serious one...

Its better to fail, rather than copying others technology....

Well, if the news is true then its good for us..let us complete the pakfa and FGFa programme then we will think about it..for navy F35 will be good choice?may be, but i wont believe the U.S.A. especially when it involves ToT.

A Taiwanese flag,interesting

well we atleast bring something on drawing board,r not on the complete mercy of American's.

Atleast try to put some effort,atleat bring something to the drawing board,never trust the American's,they will be mere spectators when China will whip ur a$$.

Be more specific on what you are trying to say. Taiwan does not have any aviation industry so it must rely on America. As for relationships between Taiwan, China and the US, your ignorant statement shows that you have no clearly understand of that relationship.

---------- Post added at 01:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 AM ----------

Can you tell me the most famous product of your country?. this is not a mocking question ... but a serious one...

As an American, how about internet? So both of us can communicate. Is that what you are looking for?

Its better to fail, rather than copying others technology....

When you dream, as your name imply, you never fail. But just don't wake up to reality because its a bit**. Keep the dreaming alive.

In all seriousness, its better to be prudent than to be bold.

i agree with u sir, F-35b will be a nice replacement for our sea harriers, given that they agree with full ToT and radar source codes. 30-40 of these birds will add a significant punch in our naval power. :sniper:

US is not giving TOT and radar source code to even partner countries who have put in billions of dollors in the program and you expect them to give it to us for buying 30-40 planes.
Let's be a bit realistic :cheers:

Back
Top Bottom