What's new

Will Qatar have the strongest air force in the Arab World?

Kuwaiti Girl

Reaction score
Country
Kuwait
I wanted to start this thread last night, but I got bored and decided not to do so lol. So here goes my second attempt.

Lately, I've been doing a lot of reading about the geopolitics of Qatar. I came across some interesting information while doing so.

First and foremost, I learned that Qatar is one of a handful of countries around the world that owns and operates Boeing C-17 airplanes. From what I've heard, these are the most advanced military transport aircraft in the world and are capable of landing on short, poorly maintained runways in remote areas, such as deserts. So, obviously, if your air force possesses one of these planes, then it'll have a logistical edge over its rivals/opponents. Apparently, these Qatari-owned C-17s were the difference between winning and losing the NATO-led war against Gaddafi's Libyan regime in 2011. So I guess this means that, unlike other countries in the Arab World, Qatar has the ability to easily supply all sorts of different weapons, military equipment and manpower to its armed forces and/or proxies in a time of war. The UAE is the only other country in the Arab World that owns/operates C-17 airplanes, but it appears that Qatar has a larger fleet of C-17s and greater expertise as well.

Another thing I was reading about was Qatar's acquisition of 24 next-generation Rafale fighter jets from France. These jets are supposedly on par with Lockheed's F-35s, although I've seen some people make the argument that the Rafales are overall better due to lower operating costs and longer flying hours per day. So far, Qatar is the only country in the Middle East that will get its hands on France's latest Rafale fighters. Qatar also has an option to buy 12 more Rafales should it wish to do so.

If you combine these air force acquisitions with Qatar's recent acquisition of 60+ German-made Leopard 2 main battle tanks, then it won't be difficult to come to the conclusion that this tiny country will have one of the most advanced and modern militaries in the wider region in the coming years/decade.

So, what are your thoughts? Will Qatar's air force finally eclipse those of the UAE and Saudi Arabia in the coming years? Will Qatar's acquisition of an Italian-made dock landing ship and a number of German-made main battle tanks and artilleries give its military a technical edge over its neighbors? Has Qatar established a strong deterrent as a result of these acquisitions?

Personally, I think these deals have given Qatar a huge security boost for a long time to come. It'll probably take decades before any military in the region can pose an existential threat to the Qatari state. Having said that, Qatar's air force might not be ranked as the most modern in the region for a very long time since it's very possible that Qatar's biggest regional rival, the UAE, will buy its very own fleet of Rafale fighter jets in the next couple of years. The Emiratis don't really like to be overshadowed by the Qataris, so I have no doubt in my mind that they'll announce their very own acquisition of Rafale jets sometime next year. Then again, it also depends on how committed the UAE is to the F-16 program.

Anyway, strength is also a relative term. On paper, Qatar looks all set to have the most advanced and modern air force in the Arab World by 2020, but that doesn't really guarantee anything because you also need to have well-trained and well-disciplined pilots in order to be taken seriously. So far, the Emiratis have the most disciplined army in the GCC, second to none. In order for Qatar to develop a potent military, it must not only buy modern equipment but, more importantly, must form its own military doctrine. This is something that remains to be seen, in my opinion. Buying modern fighter jets is easy when you're a rich country like Qatar. Building a well-disciplined army and a proper defense doctrine, on the other hand, is an arduous task.

I would say KSA has the best airforce at least in quantity and quality of the aircraft, and Israelis have the best fighter pilots.

Qatar air force is nice considering the size of the country.

Maybe in the Arab world, but not in Middle East. Rafale cant stand against f-35

I wanted to start this thread last night, but I got bored and decided not to do so lol. So here goes my second attempt.

Lately, I've been doing a lot of reading about the geopolitics of Qatar. I came across some interesting information while doing so.

First and foremost, I learned that Qatar is one of a handful of countries around the world that owns and operates Boeing C-17 airplanes. From what I've heard, these are the most advanced military transport aircraft in the world and are capable of landing on short, poorly maintained runways in remote areas, such as deserts. So, obviously, if your air force possesses one of these planes, then it'll have a logistical edge over its rivals/opponents. Apparently, these Qatari-owned C-17s were the difference between winning and losing the NATO-led war against Gaddafi's Libyan regime in 2011. So I guess this means that, unlike other countries in the Arab World, Qatar has the ability to easily supply all sorts of different weapons, military equipment and manpower to its armed forces and/or proxies in a time of war. The UAE is the only other country in the Arab World that owns/operates C-17 airplanes, but it appears that Qatar has a larger fleet of C-17s and greater expertise as well.

Another thing I was reading about was Qatar's acquisition of 24 next-generation Rafale fighter jets from France. These jets are supposedly on par with Lockheed's F-35s, although I've seen some people make the argument that the Rafales are overall better due to lower operating costs and longer flying hours per day. So far, Qatar is the only country in the Middle East that will get its hands on France's latest Rafale fighters. Qatar also has an option to buy 12 more Rafales should it wish to do so.

If you combine these air force acquisitions with Qatar's recent acquisition of 60+ German-made Leopard 2 main battle tanks, then it won't be difficult to come to the conclusion that this tiny country will have one of the most advanced and modern militaries in the wider region in the coming years/decade.

So, what are your thoughts? Will Qatar's air force finally eclipse those of the UAE and Saudi Arabia in the coming years? Will Qatar's acquisition of an Italian-made dock landing ship and a number of German-made main battle tanks and artilleries give its military a technical edge over its neighbors? Has Qatar established a strong deterrent as a result of these acquisitions?

Personally, I think these deals have given Qatar a huge security boost for a long time to come. It'll probably take decades before any military in the region can pose an existential threat to the Qatari state. Having said that, Qatar's air force might not be ranked as the most modern in the region for a very long time since it's very possible that Qatar's biggest regional rival, the UAE, will buy its very own fleet of Rafale fighter jets in the next couple of years. The Emiratis don't really like to be overshadowed by the Qataris, so I have no doubt in my mind that they'll announce their very own acquisition of Rafale jets sometime next year. Then again, it also depends on how committed the UAE is to the F-16 program.

Anyway, strength is also a relative term. On paper, Qatar looks all set to have the most advanced and modern air force in the Arab World by 2020, but that doesn't really guarantee anything because you also need to have well-trained and well-disciplined pilots in order to be taken seriously. So far, the Emiratis have the most disciplined army in the GCC, second to none. In order for Qatar to develop a potent military, it must not only buy modern equipment but, more importantly, must form its own military doctrine. This is something that remains to be seen, in my opinion. Buying modern fighter jets is easy when you're a rich country like Qatar. Building a well-disciplined army and a proper defense doctrine, on the other hand, is an arduous task.
There's no "par" between fifth generation fighter to 4.5 fighter.
Stealth is unique and rafale isn't stealthy, altho may posses some EW and lower rcs.
As for F35, it's not just a fifth generation plane, but contains many features, as in intelligence gathering, share of information, cyber and electrionic warfare attack capabilities, and ofcourse the basic features of any fifth generation fighter.
It's important to note that those system haven't matured yet, as this technology is complex, to all those who criticize the project

So, obviously, if your air force possesses one of these planes, then it'll have a logistical edge over its rivals/opponents.

Relatively strong strategic lift capability but weak tactical lift capability with only 4 C-130J in service.

the difference between winning and losing the NATO-led war

Qatar's C-17 fleet is an extension of US and NATO presence in the region (and country) and will always support their operations.

Qatar is the only country in the Middle East that will get its hands on

Egypt and UAE.

Will Qatar's air force finally eclipse those of the UAE and Saudi Arabia in the coming years?

No. Glaring capability gaps across the board including but not limited to Early Warning, Signals Intelligence, Communication Intelligence, Electronic Intelligence, Electronic Warfare, ISR, MPA, MRTT.

Having a strong fleet of fighters does not necessarily equate a strong Air Force as a whole. The Qataris also suffer from an immature training infrastructure.

It'll probably take decades before any military in the region can pose an existential threat to the Qatari state.

Any deterrent is due to the presence of the United States and NATO not the Qataris. They neither have the territory, resources, manpower, or the capability to deter a significant military aggressor and there's nothing wrong with that given the country's size.

On paper, Qatar looks all set to have the most advanced and modern air force in the Arab World by 2020, but that doesn't really guarantee anything because you also need to have well-trained and well-disciplined pilots in order to be taken seriously.

Good pilots alone do not make a good air force. Like any Air Force the entire system requires competent training, leadership, experience, and resources. From the gate guard to the head of the AF.

Last edited:
I mean the KSA can buy really whatever they want, the latest and most expensive military equipment.

But it wont go any further than that.

Right now Saudis have the most powerful Air Force in ME, with F-35 orders, Israel will surpass them
and with Qatar's orders for nearly 100 new fighters, they will surpass UAE, and have the 3rd most powerful Air Force in ME

I see a lot of people downplaying capability of KSA, but in modern combat, the technology matters more than the capability of the pilot, there will be more distant engagements that rely on radars and other sensors of the aircraft than dogfights where pilot training matters most.

Right now Saudis have the most powerful Air Force in ME, with F-35 orders, Israel will surpass them
and with Qatar's orders for nearly 100 new fighters, they will surpass UAE, and have the 3rd most powerful Air Force in ME

I see a lot of people downplaying capability of KSA, but in modern combat, the technology matters more than the capability of the pilot, there will be more distant engagements that rely on radars and other sensors of the aircraft than dogfights where pilot training matters most.

True. Even though there are a lot of biases towards S.Arabia/Gulf states due to their performance in the Yemeni conflict, there is no denying that the sheer technological advantage they have will be critical against any conventional armed forces. Though honestly i still feel like S.Arabia suffers to much from the "Arab Curse" to make full use of their capabilities.

Qatar is also getting 72 F-15 QA..
Egypt already operates the Rafale, UAE is waiting for its own version..
F-35 has an "edge" over other warplanes, but it is still in the process of improvement..
An F-22 which has reached more maturity than the F-35 has been "downed" in an exercise in the UAE, by..a French Mirage 2000 !!! The pilots skills are very important along with the available technologies, and their mastering..

Last edited:
So? Exercises don't mean sh*t.

Take a guess at what mythic "Raptor Killer" this is? Must be a great aircraft to have downed so many F-22s right?
a_1393497065.jpg

It's the wheel well of an F-5. These F-5N date back to 1970.
f-5n-2.jpg

During exercises with the USN and RN the Royal Norwegian Navy's Ula class submarines have always scored a carrier kill. Poor HMS Illustrious... just seconds before her demise:cray:.
arkiv_FMS2006_1895_document.t4641a9b8.m1600.x1df594fe.jpg

Eng%20-%202%20copy.t4f5f0c98.m1600.x21771658.JPG

Hello Truman:wave:. Goodbye Truman:D.
KNM%20RA%20og%20Harry%20S%20Truman.t49faba1c.m1600.x0bb3b6b3.jpg

Guess how much stock I put in that.

Exercises help soldiers, sailor and aircrews train and hone their tactics, but kills during exercises mean less then sh*t.

As for the thread topic... they all look good on paper, but their operational usage leaves much to be desired. They have the training and equipment, now they need to further their operational experience and tailor their doctrines and tactics, as that's what's led to the perception of poor performance in regional conflicts.
Exercises matter a lot for finding vulnerabilities, the US air force has ordered all its F-15s to carry an IRST, due to very poor performance against the Raptor in exercises..

Good fighter jets doesn't mean shet if u can't customize your air force according to ur needs, and invent electronic warfare and cyber capabilities as well as information gathering and target location of ur enemies targets.

Good fighter jets doesn't mean shet if u can't customize your air force according to ur needs, and invent electronic warfare and cyber capabilities as well as information gathering and target location of ur enemies targets.
No matter what these spineless Pi$$ies do Israelis are going o smash them out of sky,Just like they did in Past

Back
Top Bottom