What's new

Wildlife in India - one of the 17 megadiverse countries on Planet Earth

Cherokee

Reaction score
Country
India
India is one of the 17 most megadiverse countries on this Planet . This thread is to show megadiversity of India . Anyone can add to this thread and leave thanks but please don't chat on this thread unless i am done as it will spoil a thread and i cannot lock and unlock it according to my wishes .

India, lying within the Indomalaya ecozone, is home to about 7.6% of all mammalian, 12.6% of avian, 6.2% of reptilian, and 6.0% of flowering plant species.Many ecoregions, such as the shola forests, also exhibit extremely high rates of endemism; overall, 33% of Indian plant species are endemic.

I will start with animals and birds and later move on to the Plants .

I will request Modasaurus @Aeronaut and others to keep this thread clean

Bengal Tigers

The Bengal tiger (Panthera tigris tigris) is the most numerous tiger subspecies. Its populations have been estimated at 1,706–1,909 in India, 440 in Bangladesh, 124–229 in Nepal and 67–81 in Bhutan.

images

images

8.-Bengal-Tiger.jpg

Dhole

The dhole (Cuon alpinus), also called the Asiatic wild dog or Indian wild dog, is a species of canid native to South and Southeast Asia. It is the only extant member of the genus Cuon, which differs from Canis by the reduced number of molars and greater number of teats. The dholes are classed as endangered by the IUCN, due to ongoing habitat loss, depletion of its prey base, competition from other predators, persecution and possibly diseases from domestic and feral dogs

Cuon.alpinus-cut.jpg

full_B4429F1D-BC02-F2D2-FC58A7ACCEA1B087.jpg

baby-dhole.jpg

Asiatic Lion

The Asiatic lion (Panthera leo persica), also known as the Indian lion, is a lion subspecies that exists as a single isolated population in India's Gujarat State. It is listed as Endangered by IUCN based on the small population size. The lion population has steadily increased in Gir Forest National Park, more than doubling from a low of 180 individuals in 1974 to a level of 411 individuals consisting of 97 adult males, 162 adult females, 75 sub-adults, and 77 cubs as of April 2010

lion+cub.jpg

asiatic+lion+cub.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Indian leopard

The Indian leopard (Panthera pardus fusca) is a leopard subspecies widely distributed on the Indian subcontinent and classified as Near Threatened by IUCN since 2008. The species Panthera pardus may soon qualify for the Vulnerable status due to habitat loss and fragmentation, heavy poaching for the illegal trade of skins and body parts in Asia, and persecution due to conflict situations. They are becoming increasingly rare outside protected areas. The trend of the population is decreasing

Bhrikuti.jpg

indian-leopard.jpg

Snow Leopard
The snow leopard (Panthera uncia or Uncia uncia) is a moderately large cat native to the mountain ranges of Central Asia.The classification of this species has been subject to change and is still classified as Uncia uncia by MSW3 as of 2000 and CITES Appendix I.However with more recent genetic studies,[7][8] the snow leopard is now generally considered as Panthera uncia and classified as such by IUCN. Classically, two subspecies have been attributed but genetic differences between the two have not been settled. The snow leopard is listed on the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species as globally Endangered (EN).

nature-snow-leopard.png

snow-leopard.jpg

Snow-Leopard.jpg

Snow-Leopard-Prowl.jpg

399px-Uncia_uncia.jpg

Clouded leopard

The clouded leopard (Neofelis nebulosa) is a felid found from the Himalayan foothills through mainland Southeast Asia into China, and has been classified as vulnerable in 2008 by IUCN. Its total population size is suspected to be fewer than 10,000 mature individuals, with a decreasing population trend and no single population numbering more than 1,000 adults

Clouded_leopard.jpg

clouded-leopard-cubs-2.jpg

KFQED00Z.jpg

walking-on-a-tree-clouded-leopard-pictures-1600x1200.jpg

Indian elephant

The Indian elephant (Elephas maximus indicus) is one of three recognized subspecies of the Asian elephant, and native to mainland Asia. Since 1986, Elephas maximus has been listed as endangered by IUCN as the population has declined by at least 50% over the last three generations, estimated to be 60–75 years. The species is pre-eminently threatened by habitat loss, degradation and fragmentation.

images

elephants%20on%20the%20beach,%20andaman%20&%20nicobar%20islands.jpg

589px-2005-bandipur-tusker.jpg

Indian_Elephant_.jpg

indian-elephants-High-Resolution-wallpapersstillmaza.com-2.jpg

Indian rhinoceros

The Indian rhinoceros (Rhinoceros unicornis) is also called greater one-horned rhinoceros and Asian one-horned rhinoceros and belongs to the Rhinocerotidae family. Listed as a vulnerable species, the large mammal is primarily found in north-eastern India's Assam and in protected areas in the Terai of Nepal, where populations are confined to the riverine grasslands in the foothills of the Himalayas.

javan_rhino%20blog%20top.jpg

rhinoceros_whire_rhino_and_baby.jpg

large_BabyIndianRhino%20029%20A%20sm.jpg

onehornedrhino.jpg

Indian Peacock

The Indian Peafowl or Blue Peafowl (Pavo cristatus) is a large and brightly coloured bird of the pheasant family native to South Asia, but introduced and semi-feral in many other parts of the world. The species was first named and described by Linnaeus in 1758. The name Pavo cristatus is still in use now. The male peacock is predominantly blue with a fan-like crest of spatula-tipped wire-like feathers and is best known for the long train made up of elongated upper-tail covert feathers which bear colourful eyespots. These stiff and elongated feathers are raised into a fan and quivered in a display during courtship. The female lacks the train, has a greenish lower neck and a duller brown plumage. The Indian Peafowl is found mainly on the ground in open forest or on land under cultivation where they forage for berries, grains but will also prey on snakes, lizards, and small rodents. Their loud calls make them easy to detect, and in forest areas often indicate the presence of a predator such as a tiger. They forage on the ground in small groups and will usually try to escape on foot through undergrowth and avoid flying, though they will fly into tall trees to roost. The bird is celebrated in Indian and Greek mythology and is the national bird of India. The Indian Peafowl is listed as of Least Concern by the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN).

800px-Pfau_imponierend.jpg

1k8d00flketvisxu.D.0.Indian-blue-peacock-7.jpg

P+7167.jpg

Indian_Blue_Peacock_42.jpg

Gee's golden langur

Gee's golden langur (Trachypithecus geei), or simply the golden langur, is an Old World monkey found in a small region of western Assam, India and in the neighboring foothills of the Black Mountains of Bhutan. It is one of the most endangered primate species of India. Long considered sacred by many Himalayan people, the Golden Langur was first brought to the attention of science by the naturalist E. P. Gee in the 1950s.In a part of Bhutan, it has hybridised with the Capped Langur T. pileatus.

800px-Golden_Langur.jpg

golden_langur.jpg

Langur_copy.JPG

Golden%20Langur-1.jpg

gees_golden_langur_1.jpg

Brahminy Kite

The Brahminy Kite (Haliastur indus) also known as the Red-backed Sea-eagle in Australia, is a medium-sized bird of prey in the family Accipitridae, which also includes many other diurnal raptors such as eagles, buzzards and harriers. They are found in the Indian subcontinent, Southeast Asia and Australia. They are found mainly on the coast and in inland wetlands where they feed on dead fish and other prey. Adults have a reddish brown plumage and a contrasting white head and breast which makes them easy to distinguish from other birds of prey.

Adult-brahminy-kite-in-flight-showing-wing-feather-detail.jpg

BrahminyKite3.jpg

opti_Brahminy-kite.jpg

rest after i wake up . Good night and don't spoil this thread . Gracias .

Wow, the Red Panda (Fire Fox) lives in India as well? I never knew that.

If you will search much more about Indian subcontinent you will get more surprise. Always when I search about Indian bio-diversity I am also surprised just like you. Like--

It is the only home of Lions outside the Africa.

Clouded leopord are basically found in east asia, but they are also here.

But thats also introduce much more headache for GoI. I think we need to make new plans & list for bio-diversity, exept thats one of UNO. Because when I was searching about Himalayan vulture that show it is least concern but in India they are about to extinct.

BTW I show that bird once in my village long time ago. I am so lucky.:angel:

images

images

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom