What's new

Who's More Powerful, China Or The United States?

The SC

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Canada
US-and-China-compared---f-001.jpg

The infographic compares the nations on everything from GDP and unemployment to literacy rates and military expenditures. Determining the greatest superpower is, of course, dependent on how you define superpower. If it's GDP per capita, social media, and gold medals at the 2012 Olympics, the United States appears to win. If it's GDP growth and exports, China wins.

China vs. United States | Who’s More Powerful | Popular Science

Right now America is more powerful, which is a joke considering that we have the largest population in the world, logically we should be more powerful.

Luckily we have now woken up, after the Century of Humiliation. And we are currently developing our economy at a pace never before seen in history, lifting 800 million people out of poverty in only a few decades, and sustaining double-digit economic growth for three whole decades, neither of which have ever been done before in human history.

And our GDP now doubles every 5 years or so. That is some incredible momentum, and hopefully our development process will continue at a very strong pace. Maybe we can balance out the scales within a few decades.

The US will continue to be the world leader for at least another 50 years before anyone (including China) will be able to effectively challenge US supremacy.

The US will continue to be the world leader for at least another 50 years before anyone (including China) will be able to effectively challenge US supremacy.

We have no interest in assuming the mantle of global leadership/hegemony.

In fact it is directly contrary to our official policy, which is to "Never seek hegemony" (永遠不稱霸)。

We only seek to rectify our mistakes of the past two hundred years, and become a developed country. This will indirectly lead to us becoming the largest economy in the world, and eventually having the largest military spending in the world.

But that is for the good of China, we have no obligation to assume America's current role as the "global policeman", they can keep it.

China's literacy rate is more than 95%.

List of countries by literacy rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't know why this facebook is on the list. We don't need it. We have our own social media network.

Exactly, I don't know why they use "Facebook" to determine that China's social media penetration is only 0.04%?

China's domestic social media networks are enormous, some of the biggest in the entire world. Sina Weibo, Youku, QQ, Wechat, RenRen, Qzone, and plenty of others.

Social Media Fast Facts: China | Social Media Today

It’s reported that 91% of Chinese internet users have a social media account, compared to 67 per cent of the online population of the United States. Chinese internet users spend an average of 46 minutes on social networks every day. They are more likely to buy items recommended by other social media users.

We have the largest internet population in the world, and 91% of them have a social media account.

So how did that turn to 0.04% based on Facebook. :cheesy:

Exactly, I don't know why they use "Facebook" to determine that China's social media penetration is only 0.04%?

China's domestic social media networks are enormous, some of the biggest in the entire world. Sina Weibo, Youku, QQ, Wechat, RenRen, Qzone, and plenty of others.

Social Media Fast Facts: China | Social Media Today

We have the largest internet population in the world, and 91% of them have a social media account.

So how did that turn to 0.04% based on Facebook. :cheesy:

Yes. Sina Weibo, Youku, QQ, Wechat, RenRen, Qzone almost covered 99.99% Chinese social network market penetration, which covers more than half of Chinese population. They will have more users. They already established the fan base and brand loyalty in China.

Their implied words would be : China has no FB, so China has no "freedom". So sick logic. The scope, depth and breadth of the information being transmitted on our own social media is becoming unbelievably extensive. With China's news being more frequently exposed on international stage, our domestic social media will get the first hand information in China, at that time, more than 1 billion active users on Chinese social media network will be the most immediately informed, then who cares if we can use FB or Twitter or not. People from other countries will start to register on Weibo, I know some foreign friends who have started to use Weibo now. But it still needs time for Weibo to become a global social network, but wechat is already being used worldwide, even my Thailand friend suggest me to register a Wechat account, lol. To be honest, I really don't care FB or Twitter, I've already got what I want to know, especially in this information explosion era.

I think neither.

Its countries like Switzerland which are most powerful - everyone's money is parked there !

US-and-China-compared---f-001.jpg

The infographic compares the nations on everything from GDP and unemployment to literacy rates and military expenditures. Determining the greatest superpower is, of course, dependent on how you define superpower. If it's GDP per capita, social media, and gold medals at the 2012 Olympics, the United States appears to win. If it's GDP growth and exports, China wins.

China vs. United States | Who’s More Powerful | Popular Science

The US is more powerful,but this might soon change

We have no interest in assuming the mantle of global leadership/hegemony.

In fact it is directly contrary to our official policy, which is to "Never seek hegemony" (永遠不稱霸)。

We only seek to rectify our mistakes of the past two hundred years, and become a developed country. This will indirectly lead to us becoming the largest economy in the world, and eventually having the largest military spending in the world.

But that is for the good of China, we have no obligation to assume America's current role as the "global policeman", they can keep it.
Which is why I also added "anyone". within 50 years, a lot can happen. Who knows, maybe another nation will rise to become a serious challenger.

What a nonsense. Of course the U.S. China has a long way to go, esp. in terms of modern governing practices, law and order, service industry, brand recognition, cultural affinity, blah blah blah. China fell really hard for past 400 years. China probably need at least 50 years to get back on its feet, optimistically.

But the author is also woefully ignorant when he equates social media with Facebook penetration, lol. I am also skeptical about literacy rate of the U.S., 99%???? Being able to write Latin alphabet doesn't mean you are literate. I am not sure what's the author's motivation behind this graphic.

Last edited:

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom