What's new

Who was the greatest mathematician of ancient and medieval India

another example of false history, indian govt. teaching indians.

your should read math books written by your arabian master where they mention names of Indian mathematicians...This is not false history...this is globally accepted and here to stay...we respect our scientists...we do not vandalize graves of our scientists...

Islam arrived in todays northern India in 1192 after the death of Prithviraj.
But I understand what you mean. The Muslims arrived in northern India after the end of
the golden age of Persian mathematics (12th century) and thats the reason why there weren't
any great muslim mathematicians in India.

Yes it was 1192 I stand corrected on that.Yes reason was their late arrival .

Pingala

Pingala (Devanagari: पिङ्गल piṅgala) is the traditional name of the author of the Chandaḥśāstra (also Chandaḥsūtra), the earliest known Sanskrit treatise on prosody.

The Chandaḥśāstra presents the first known description of a binary numeral system in connection with the systematic enumeration of meters with fixed patterns of short and long syllables.[4] The discussion of the combinatorics of meter corresponds to the binomial theorem. Halāyudha's commentary includes a presentation of the Pascal's triangle (called meruprastāra). Pingala's work also contains the Fibonacci number, called mātrāmeru, and now known as the Gopala–Hemachandra number.[5]

Varāhamihira

Varāhamihira pronunciation (help·info) (Devanagari: वराहमिहिर) (505–587 CE), also called Varaha or Mihir, was an Indian astronomer, mathematician, and astrologer who lived in Ujjain.He was Shrigaud Brahmin.[1] He is considered to be one of the nine jewels (Navaratnas) of the court of legendary ruler Vikramaditya (thought to be the Gupta emperor Chandragupta II Vikramaditya).

arahamihir's main work is the book Pañcasiddhāntikā (or Pancha-Siddhantika, "[Treatise] on the Five [Astronomical] Canons) dated ca. 575 CE gives us information about older Indian texts which are now lost. The work is a treatise on mathematical astronomy and it summarises five earlier astronomical treatises, namely the Surya Siddhanta, Romaka Siddhanta, Paulisa Siddhanta, Vasishtha Siddhanta and Paitamaha Siddhantas. It is a compendium of Vedanga Jyotisha as well as Hellenistic astronomy (including Greek, Egyptian and Roman elements).[2] He was the first one to mention in his work Pancha Siddhantika that the ayanamsa, or the shifting of the equinox is 50.32 seconds.6655.

Bhāskara I

Bhāskara (c. 600 – c. 680) (Marathi: भास्कर commonly called Bhaskara I to avoid confusion with the 12th century mathematician Bhāskara II) was a 7th century Indian mathematician, who was apparently the first to write numbers in the Hindu-Arabic decimal system with a circle for the zero, and who gave a unique and remarkable rational approximation of the sine function in his commentary on Aryabhata's work.[1] This commentary, Āryabhaṭīyabhāṣya, written in 629 CE, is the oldest known prose work in Sanskrit on mathematics and astronomy. He also wrote two astronomical works in the line of Aryabhata's school, the Mahābhāskarīya and the Laghubhāskarīya.[2]

Brahmagupta

Brahmagupta (Sanskrit: ब्रह्मगुप्त; listen (help·info)) (597–668 AD) was a great Indian mathematician and astronomer who wrote many important works on mathematics and astronomy. His best known work is the Brāhmasphuṭasiddhānta (Correctly Established Doctrine of Brahma), written in 628 in Bhinmal. Its 25 chapters contain several unprecedented mathematical results.

Brahmagupta was the first to use zero as a number. He gave rules to compute with zero. Brahmagupta used negative numbers and zero for computing. The modern rule that two negative numbers multiplied together equals a positive number first appears in Brahmasputa siddhanta. It is composed in elliptic verse, as was common practice in Indian mathematics, and consequently has a poetic ring to it. As no proofs are given, it is not known how Brahmagupta's mathematics was derived.[1]

Mahāvīra

Mahavira was a 9th-century Indian mathematician from Gulbarga who asserted that the square root of a negative number did not exist. He gave the sum of a series whose terms are squares of an arithmetical progression and empirical rules for area and perimeter of an ellipse. He was patronised by the great Rashtrakuta king Amoghavarsha.[1]

Mahavira was the author of Ganit Saar Sangraha. He separated Astrology from Mathematics. He expounded on the same subjects on which Aryabhata and Brahmagupta contended, but he expressed them more clearly. He is highly respected among Indian Mathematicians, because of his establishment of terminology for concepts such as equilateral, and isosceles triangle; rhombus; circle and semicircle. Mahavira's eminence spread in all South India and his books proved inspirational to other Mathematicians in Southern India.[2] It was translated into Telugu language by Pavuluri Mallana as Saar Sangraha Ganitam.

312423e2c74a6d9c171612abb6be63af.png

Acharya Hemachandra

Acharya Hemachandra (Sanskrit: हेमचन्द्र सूरी, 1087–1172) was a Jain scholar, poet, and polymath who wrote on grammar, philosophy, prosody, and contemporary history. Noted as a prodigy by his contemporaries, he gained the title Kalikāl Sarvagya "all-knowing of the Kali Yuga".

He was born in Dhandhuka, Gujarat (about 100 km south west of Ahmadabad), to Chachadeva and Pahini Devi. They named him Chandradeva. The Jain derasar of Modhera Tirtha is located at his birthplace. As a young man, Chandradeva was initiated as a monk at a derasar and took the name Somachandra. He was trained in religious discourse, philosophy, logic and grammar. In 1110, at the age of 21, he was ordained as an acharya of the Svetambara sect of Jainism and was given the name Somachandra (popularly Hemachandra).[1]

Mahendra Sūri

Mahendra Dayashankar Gor Sūri is the 14th century Jain astronomer who wrote the Yantraraja, the first Indian treatise on the astrolabe.[1] He was a pupil of Madana Suri. His father was Dayashankar and mother was Vimla. Dayashankar and Vimla had eight children, four sons and four daughters. Mahendra married a woman by the name of Urmila and had four daughters.

Madhava of Sangamagrama

Madhava of Sangamagrama (Malayalam: സംഗമഗ്രാമ മാധവൻ, Saṅgamagrāma Mādhavan ?, Hindi: संगमग्राम के माधव, Saṅgamagrāma kē Mādhava ?; c. 1340 – c. 1425), was an Indian mathematician-astronomer from the town of Sangamagrama (present day Irinjalakuda) near Cochin, Kerala, India. He is considered the founder of the Kerala school of astronomy and mathematics. He was the first in the world to use infinite series approximations for a range of trigonometric functions, which has been called the "decisive step onward from the finite procedures of ancient mathematics to treat their limit-passage to infinity".[1] His discoveries opened the doors to what has today come to be known as Mathematical Analysis.[4] One of the greatest mathematician-astronomers of the Middle Ages, Madhava made pioneering contributions to the study of infinite series, calculus, trigonometry, geometry, and algebra.

Some scholars have also suggested that Madhava's work, through the writings of the Kerala school, may have been transmitted to Europe via Jesuit missionaries and traders who were active around the ancient port of Muziris at the time. As a result, it may have had an influence on later European developments in analysis and calculus.[5]

Parameshvara

Vatasseri Parameshvara Nambudiri (Malayalam: വടശ്ശേരി പരമേശ്വരന്*) (ca.1380–1460)[1] was a major Indian mathematician and astronomer of the Kerala school of astronomy and mathematics founded by Madhava of Sangamagrama. He was also an astrologer. Parameshvara was a proponent of observational astronomy in medieval India and he himself had made a series of eclipse observations to verify the accuracy of the computational methods then in use. Based on his eclipse observations, Parameshvara proposed several corrections to the astronomical parameters which had been in use since the times of Aryabhata. The computational scheme based on the revised set of parameters has come to be known as the Drgganita system. Parameshvara was also a prolific writer on matters relating to astronomy. At least 25 manuscripts have been identified as being authored by Parameshvara.[1]

Parameshvara's most significant contribution is his mean value type formula for the inverse interpolation of the sine. He was the first mathematician to give the radius of circle with an inscribed quadrilateral, an expression that is normally attributed to Lhuilier (1782), 350 years later. With the sides of the cyclic quadrilateral being a, b, c, and d, the radius R of the circumscribed circle is:

b21e27b1debb8130d6b2a69cbc492d24.png

Nilakantha Somayaji

Kelallur Nilakantha Somayaji (Malayalam: നീലകണ്ഠ സോമയാജി, Nīlakaṇṭa Sōmayāji ?, Sanskrit: नीलकण्ठ सोमयाजि) (1444–1544) (also referred to as Kelallur Comatiri[1]) was a major mathematician and astronomer of the Kerala school of astronomy and mathematics. One of his most influential works was the comprehensive astronomical treatise Tantrasamgraha completed in 1501. He had also composed an elaborate commentary on Aryabhatiya called the Aryabhatiya Bhasya. In this Bhasya, Nilakantha had discussed infinite series expansions of trigonometric functions and problems of algebra and spherical geometry. Grahapareeksakrama is a manual on making observations in astronomy based on instruments of the time.

Regarding Arya Batta and Bhaskara2 I have mentioned in my earlier posts.

There was a mathematician called Mahavira who lived in the 9th century in the Rashtrakuta Empire.

Pingala

Vardhamāna Mahāvīra (599–527 BCE) is the name most commonly used to refer to one of the tirthankara of Jainism. Mahavira who was one of the major propagators of Jainism. According to Jain tradition, he was the 24th and the last tirthankara.[1]

I didn't mean Mahavira the propagator of jainism. I referred to the mathematician called Mahavira who lived in the 9th century in the Rashtrakuta Empire.

There was a mathematician called Mahavira who lived in the 9th century in the Rashtrakuta Empire.

I didn't mean Mahavira the propagator of jainism. I referred to the mathematician called Mahavira who lived in the 9th century in the Rashtrakuta Empire.

Post edited :cheers:

Pingala

Aryabhata

Varāhamihira

Bhaskara I

Brahmagupta

Mahavira

Bhaskara II

Acharya Hemachandra

Mahendra Sūri

Madhava of Sangamagrama

Parameshvara

Nilakantha Somayaji

I am desperately curious to know: how does this topic come under Military History and Strategy?

No it was the attitude of the guys here, who will say anything before Qasim is not worth it or a false one.

Who? And secondly why do you assume them to be correct and representative?

I actually think that its preferable for you when pakistanis neglect the ancient heritage of theit land and people.

I am desperately curious to know: how does this topic come under Military History and Strategy?

Math helps to make better weapons.Hope that helps your curiosity.
Apply for moderator if you wanna become one :|

I actually think that its preferable for you when pakistanis neglect the ancient heritage of theit land and people.

Do you believe in two nation theory?

Not like that but I am talking about majority here.

Math helps to make better weapons.Hope that helps your curiosity.
Apply for moderator if you wanna become one :|

Do you believe in two nation theory?

What a clever answer!

Which of these mathematicians' works helped to produce a weapon, any weapon? Not Archimedes, or da Vinci; these.

What a clever answer!

Which of these mathematicians' works helped to produce a weapon, any weapon? Not Archimedes, or da Vinci; these.

Thank you!
Every one of these mathematicians contributed to scientific advancement which has resulted in weapons of today.Do you think the computer flying a fighter jet can work without zero?
Friendly advice, next time leave the moderating to actual moderators.

Back
Top Bottom