who saved lahore

Discussion in 'Military History & Strategy' started by Sharjeel, Nov 30, 2005.

Share This Page

1. Sharjeel

Sharjeel BANNED

Ratings:
    +0 / 5 / -0
    bdmilitary.com
  2. antiobl

antiobl FULL MEMBER

New Recruit

Ratings:
    +0 / 2 / -0
    Hmm! Not to take away any credit from bd military. However Lahore border being defended by 1st Bengal is a news to me. Do you mind providing some non BD military link?
  3. Sharjeel

Sharjeel BANNED

Ratings:
    +0 / 5 / -0
    it was posted as a request.

never the less this is not new to me! there where also east pakistanis protecting lahore and they DID fight with caurage....indeed.

but i have no link...
  4. VisionHawk

VisionHawk SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0 / 81 / -0
    As far as i know Punjab and eat bengal regiment were deployed in the area and fought bravely and repulsed enemy attacks beside they were less in numbers still they proved as a solid wall of lead and repulsed every indian attacks which were unexpected and without any warning or ultimatum of war which is a shame but these brave men of ours repulsed indian attacks launched during the night on ly some pakistani companies were deployed in the area because the attack was un expected and they repulsed all of the indian attacks If im not wrong AZIZ BHATI SHAHEED raised shahadat in the barki sector he was been awarded NH because of his bravery and courage :)

here is an article posted by a bengali for a newspapper

I HAVE DELETED SOME OF THE LINES FROM THE ABOVE EXTRACT
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. antiobl

antiobl FULL MEMBER

New Recruit

Ratings:
    +0 / 2 / -0
    Maj. Aziz Bhatti was part of the Punjab Regiment.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aziz_Bhatti

You guys keep on talking about East Bengal Regiment. However there is no record in any of the sources (except BD military site or this article on rediff) of east Bengal regiment that may have been deployed on Lahore border.
  6. Sharjeel

Sharjeel BANNED

Ratings:
    +0 / 5 / -0
    i know how strange that there is no record what so ever of bengalis.

they have always been a seperat country?

BTW wiki says he was of the SS panzer devision lol..
  7. ARKhan

ARKhan FULL MEMBER

New Recruit

Ratings:
    +0 / 2 / -0
    The record remains at the hands of the Bangladesh Army now. After independence I guess the government of Pakistan totally discarded the East Bengal Regiment or any Bengali contributions to the war.

I believe 14 East Bengal Regiment troops won the highest gallantry awards of Pakistan in the 1965 war, which was also the most awards won by any Pakistan Army unit according to a friend in the Bangladesh Army.

One Pakistani source that I know of was friends with the personnel from the East Bengal Regiment.

He said men from the east Bengal Regiment wear giants compared to other troops of the Pakistan Army. Their goes the 'martial races' theory out the window!

My grandfather served in the Pakistan Army during the 1965 war and he was posted in Lahore and fought in that battle.

He was wounded by Indian machine gun fire but he managed to kill 7 Indian soldiers. He got awarded for those. He was also a giant, I don't think Indian troops had any soldiers that matched his height and strength.

back in those days the officers and soldiers were enouraged to keep moustache or beard. Usually the EBR personnel had trimmed moustaches.:)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. ARKhan

ARKhan FULL MEMBER

New Recruit

Ratings:
    +0 / 2 / -0
    VisionHawk could you please give me an exact link or the full article regarding the Bengali troops.

You can just post it at bdmilitary.com forum which will be easier for you.

Thanks.
  9. antiobl

antiobl FULL MEMBER

New Recruit

Ratings:
    +0 / 2 / -0

Look! I smell prejudice, discrimination, or at least bias in these statements. Let me clarify few things here.

1. (For A and C above), One doesn’t have to be a “GIANT” to be a good soldier. Japanese in WWII were tiny compared to Gen. McArthur’s GIs. Still none can question bravery and the gallantry of the Japanese soldiers. Bengali soldiers and officers in spite of their short stature have proven to be good soldiers. . M.M Alam is still Pakistani hero and his records were never purged in post-1971 period.

2. “Martial race” was a theory coined by Brits and I have serious doubts about any such theory. However most of the men for WWI and WWII British-Indian armies came from North and North-Western parts of the subcontinent. You can blame Brits for many things, but they (compared to other colonial powers) were relatively better in selecting men for specific jobs (not just army jobs) from their colonies.

Pak army should be credited for inducing more East Pakistanis in the army compared to the previous armies in the region. By 1971, they had raised 7 Battalions for EBR, where none existed before 1947. BD may have a beef about this, but it should be directed towards Brits where it belongs.

Biggest threat faced by Pakistan was from Russians coming down South in Afghanistan. This region has been the scene of battles from 1800’s. That is why most of the army was concentrated in the West Pakistan. Bharati army even with its large size posed tiny threat compared to what Ruskies had to offer. If we don’t look at the big geographical picture, we’d always reach bad conclusions. East Pakistan was not threatened to the same level, so the force concentration was relatively small too. I blame both West and East Pakistanis for not putting the correct picture in front of the masses. I can say this because I have the benefit of looking back at history. Unfortunately neither Sh. Mujib, nor Bhutto looked beyond their petty goals of kingships.

Since 1971s fateful days, a lot of water has gone through the rivers so I beg you to let go of conspiracy theories against Pakistanis back then. We truly regret the way things turned out, but we didn’t know any better. Men make stupid mistakes and we have our fair share of such $tupidities too.

<!--QuoteBegin-bdmilitary
    @Dec 1 2005, 10:28 AM
    …..I believe 14 East Bengal Regiment troops won the highest gallantry awards of Pakistan in the 1965 war, .
    [/quote]
    14 EBR didn’t exist back then. The numbers only went from 1 through 7.

What was the rank and company of your Grandfather. Thanks in advance for sharing your family history.

Best Regards
  10. ARKhan

ARKhan FULL MEMBER

New Recruit

Ratings:
    +0 / 2 / -0
    Firstly a Pakistani officer who was friends with officers of the 1st EBR told me about their height, I became confirmed with it with my grandfather.

When the author mentions "despite their height" he shows a degree of bias because I have met many Pakistanis, they are neighter taller or fairer than most Bengalis, a lot of the times it&#39;s the opposite. But I agree that "martial race" theory is extremly racist and that is one of the problems we had with West Pakistanis as the British implanted into their minds this non existant theory to make them work for them. You know, it is like retail management, you have to make your staff and customers feel "special" like your family doctor does to you and obviously we all know that the Punjabis fell for the trick. The British could never try these tricks on Bengalis as Bengal had always produced the brightest thinkers, politicians and social movements in South Asia. Bangladesh still retains that and it is evident in our nations development.

The 14 EBR was a typo. I meant the 1 EBR, also known as the "Senior Tigers". My grandfathers rank at that time was Lieutenant. He passed away about 3 years ago due to old age.
  11. antiobl

antiobl FULL MEMBER

New Recruit

Ratings:
    +0 / 2 / -0
    1-4 EBR were posted in East Pakistan while 5-7 were in West Pakistan. I am not sure if your data is correct.

Sorry to hear about your grandfather. They were truly the greatest generation of their times. Was he with EBR or some other regiment? Did he continue with EBR or switched to some other command? What was his rank when he retired?

Best Regards
  12. eastwatch

eastwatch SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1 / 6,358 / -1
    Bangladesh
    This is what WIKI wrote about the brave East Bengal troops in the 1965 war in Khemkaran sector:

Ziaur Rahman, commissioned military officer by career, attained the rank of Lieutenant General before retiring and then assuming the office of the presidency of Bangladesh. During the Indo-Pakistani War of 1965, Zia served in the Khemkaran sector in Punjab as the commander of a Pakistani company unit of 300–500 soldiers.

The sector was the scene of the most intense battles between the rival armies. The Pakistani government awarded Zia's unit with the highest numbers of gallantry awards for heroic performances during the war.

Ziaur Rahman himself won the distinguished and prestigious Hilal-e-Jurat medal, and his unit won 2 Sitara-e-Jurat medals and 9 Tamgha-e-Jurat medals from the Army for their brave roles in the 1965 War with India.