What's new

Who is responsible for CWG mess?

WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR CWG MESS/SHAMING THE NATION?

• Total voters

Indian1

BANNED

New Recruit

Reaction score
Hi all.

This is a very pertinent question,

"Who do you think is responsible for the CWG mess?"

1. Shiela Dikshit and her govt.
2. Suresh Kalmadi
3. Jaipal Reddy
4. Prime Minister of India

For me, personally, I believe the onus lies with the Prime Minister of India. PM can't escape the fact that being the head of the family, it was primarily his responsibility to ensure that the nation wasn't put to shame. Alas, the PM seems to have gone into hiding!

Kalmadi, Shiela Dikshit etc. were doing wrong but where was the PM when it became very obvious that these people were cheating the nation?

The primary blame lies with the head of the family.

I feel very sad and ashamed today.

We can produce so many world-class managers and businessmen and people of intellect and yet we ignored all of them to give the responsibility of showcasing the nation's pride to a clown called Kalmadi and his bunch of jokers?

SORRY MR. PM BUT YOU HAVE FAILED US!

Hi all.

This is a very pertinent question,

"Who do you think is responsible for the CWG mess?"

1. Shiela Dikshit and her govt.
2. Suresh Kalmadi
3. Jaipal Reddy
4. Prime Minister of India

For me, personally, I believe the onus lies with the Prime Minister of India. PM can't escape the fact that being the head of the family, it was primarily his responsibility to ensure that the nation wasn't put to shame. Alas, the PM seems to have gone into hiding!

Kalmadi, Shiela Dikshit etc. were doing wrong but where was the PM when it became very obvious that these people were cheating the nation?

The primary blame lies with the head of the family.

I feel very sad and ashamed today.

We can produce so many world-class managers and businessmen and people of intellect and yet we ignored all of them to give the responsibility of showcasing the nation's pride to a clown called Kalmadi and his bunch of jokers?

SORRY MR. PM BUT YOU HAVE FAILED US!

One thing is for sure, if kalamdi and company becomes unsuccessful, you and media would surely fail CWG.
I dont know whats upto some people, if you cant go out from home to put water on fire than its better not to add fuel in it.

SORRY MR. BUT YOU AND MEDIA ARE TRYING TO FAIL CWG.

Last edited:
The blame lies with us Indians.

We are to blame for our ' chalta hai' attitude wherein we accept shortcuts , take it for granted that someone else will sort out the mess in any situation,we are not demanding to seek value for the hard earned money we spend or seek accountability for spending the Govt does with the taxes we pay and so on.

As a nation the only things that we are interested in is cricket & bollywood.

Our leaders are a reflection of us and give us what we accept.

For once I am embarrassed ( not ashamed) at being an Indian .

One thing is for sure, if kalamdi and company becomes unsuccessful, you and media would surely fail CWG.
I dont know whats upto some people, if you cant go out from home to put water on fire than its better not add fuel in it.

you can't blame the media, it there was a fault in development team. Media will just say anything positive or negative, they gtta make money also.

you can't blame the media, it there was a fault in development team. Media will just say anything positive or negative, they gtta make money also.
Fault is in indians themself..Media only feed what people want. Unfortunately in india people want to brag more about dark side than positives.
So its like when 90% success and 10% mess, while portraying most of 10% part to extent that it looks..10% success and 90% mess.

I dont know whats upto some people, if you cant go out from home to put water on fire than its better not add fuel in it.

You should be happy that the media highlighted the problems or else we would have been kept in perpetual illusion that 'ALL IS WELL' when it is not.

To hide away from problems doesn't solve them.

The media is only doing its job. Question is "Did those responsible for this mess do theirs?".

If there's blood on the streets, somebody has got to go to jail! And that 'somebody' is definitely not the media. Not in this case at least.

Fault is in indians themself..Media only feed what people want. Unfortunately in india people want to brag more about dark side than positives.
So its like when 90% success and 10% mess, while portraying most of 10% part to extent that it looks..10% success and 90% mess.

It is called being 'self-critical'. It is a very remarkable trait possessed by very few societies.

I would any given day prefer a person who told me about things as they are than a yes-man!

You really want to know, who is responsible for the failure? It is "Saab Chalta Hai" Indian attitude of your mine and billion of us.

So we are responsible for the current mess of a state CWG is in. At least now we should hold those people who have made money by selling $80 tissue papers to justice. If we do not, we deserve "third world cesspool" India has been.

It is called being 'self-critical'. It is a very remarkable trait possessed by very few societies.

I would any given day prefer a person who told me about things as they are than a yes-man!

Its not a remarkable trait, but a kind of pessimist outlook.
Even would prefer a person who shows really like the things are, but would hate it if they are being exaggerated to level where it starts doing more negative to it.

India given 48hrs to save its Games

1536727675.JPG

23 Sep 2010
The organisers of the Commonwealth Games in Delhi have 48 hours to save the event.

Commonwealth Games Federation chairman Mike Fennel arrives in the crisis-hit host city tomorrow and is likely to make a final decision after he has seen the notorious accommodation for athletes, which some claim is unfit for human habitation.

Scotland yesterday grounded the first flight that was due to fly from Glasgow Airport carrying athletes. The team still require a number of assurances before they participate in the event, which is due to open on October 3. However, Scottish Games Council chairman Michael Cavanagh will this morning ask senior Games officials in Delhi to spend the day conducting a full evaluation. “There are signs of movement, and we will do everything we can to get the team there,” Mr Cavanagh told The Herald.

He added: “We are very close to very strange circumstances right now. It’s almost unbelievable we have got to this stage, and we have such a dysfunctional village, and, to be blunt, dysfunctional organising committee.”

First Minister Alex Salmond said yesterday that the Scottish Government “wholeheartedly supported” the decision after he chaired a meeting that was also attended by the organisers of the Glasgow 2014 Games, Government officials, Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Life and Sportscotland.

Sports Minister Shona Robison added: “We need to see immediate action from the Indian Government and the Commonwealth Games Federation to resolve these concerns, and we are making the strongest possible representations to that effect. The safety of our athletes is paramount.”

Mr Cavanagh accused the Indian government of inaction, and levelled serious criticism at Suresh Kalmadi, chair of the organising committee and Indian Olympic Committee (IOC).

It came after the organising committee suffered further humiliation with the partial collapse of the roof of the wrestling venue at the main sports complex, and just a day after 23 people had been injured in the collapse of a footbridge leading to the main stadium.

Concerns over the readiness of the facilities have also been heightened by security fears after the Sunday shooting of two tourists outside one of the city’s top attractions. An Islamic militant group took responsibility for the shooting.

Delhi chief minister Sheila Dikshit was among senior Indian government officials who dismissed of abandoning the Games, dismissing the incidents as “minor glitches”.

Cabinet Secretary KM Chandrasekhar, appointed by Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to oversee Delhi’s preparations, said: The cables which were to be set up for the data network were placed on the false ceiling and due to the weight of the cables the ceiling fell down. It’s a minor thing and it will be corrected. It’s not a matter to be worried about.”

However, Foreign minister, SM Krishna, told the BBC: “Let me assure you on behalf of the government of India and the people of India that we will see to it that the Commonwealth Games are conducted according to international standards, and the athletes who come to participate in these games will feel quite happy about their conditions.”

Meanwhile, Mr Cavanagh ridiculed the organisers’ dismissal of criticism of excrement and squalor in the athletes’ village. Indian officials suggested this was simply a matter of national perceptional differences in standards of cleanliness.

“You will have seen the public statements made . . . in the last few days,” he added.

“It’s ridiculous. I heard Suresh Kalmadi say we have a world-class infrastructure in places that have been ready for 15 days. We know that not to be the case, and it would really be helpful for all of us if they stopped making public statements about how good things are, and actually got some work done to make them the way they should be.”

Mr Cavanagh and the Team Scotland chef de mission Jon Doig made it clear they would abide by the guidance of the Commonwealth Games Federation as to whether the event is safe.

India given 48hrs to save its Games - Herald Scotland | News | World News

Who appointed Kalmadi? People who knew about him, about how corrupt and inefficient he was.

If a strong-willed, honest person had been appointed, it would have not been so bad. Heads from the top need to roll.

You really want to know, who is responsible for the failure? It is "Saab Chalta Hai" Indian attitude of your mine and billion of us.

So we are responsible for the current mess of a state CWG is in. At least now we should hold those people who have made money by selling $80 tissue papers to justice. If we do not, we deserve "third world cesspool" India has been.

I agree that 99% of us have that chalta hai attitude but the remaining 1% is all we needed to make CWG a grand success. We failed in selecting those 1% of people.

We do not have dearth of talented, efficient people in our country.

We have people like Nandan Nilekani, Chidambaram, NR Murthy, Azim Premji, Ratan Tata to name a few.

And then we have people like Kalmadi, Bhanot, A Raja to name a few.

the question is "Didn't we entrust these games to such incompetent fools?". Wasn't it the PM's responsibility to appoint people of talent and skills for handling such a mega event?

MMS became PM in 2004. He had plenty of time to set things right but he chose not to! Even when media highlighted Kalmadi's lies 6 months back, MMS remained silent and took no action whatsoever.

If MMS could appoint Nandan Nilekani for UID, why didn't he appoint such a person for the games?

What is it if not sheer callousness and neglect on the part of the highest office bearer of India?

Sports has traditionally not been given equal importance in our society since independence and hence the callous response to organize an event of this proportion.

There are several capable leaders who can execute projects of this scale, but only if the bureaucracy allowed them to. The fault lies in the elected leaders who try to take advantage of such events to gain political mileage and fulfil personal motives and in the end put the image of the nation at risk.

Do we not have enough enterprising and managerial talent in India... of course we do. Anyone can give numerous examples in the private sector... but if you look elsewhere, you can find a number of highly talented and well capable govt servants (working alongside our political leaders)... aka IAS officers who could have handled this much better...given the appropriate authority.

Whats done is done now... and not much can be done to correct the fault in a matter of hours. So lets just hope that the games are held in their true spirit of sportmanship.

No one can be blamed since no one is ready to take the responsibility, $995 million is put in this game by the govt. I don't know what was their agenda, hosting games or wasting tax payers money.

There's world cup and F1 next year, so there's still something to cheer about and hope everything goes well in those events since its not organized by the govt.

Sports has traditionally not been given equal importance in our society since independence and hence the callous response to organize an event of this proportion.

There are several capable leaders who can execute projects of this scale, but only if the bureaucracy allowed them to. The fault lies in the elected leaders who try to take advantage of such events to gain political mileage and fulfil personal motives and in the end put the image of the nation at risk.

Do we not have enough enterprising and managerial talent in India... of course we do. Anyone can give numerous examples in the private sector... but if you look elsewhere, you can find a number of highly talented and well capable govt servants (working alongside our political leaders)... aka IAS officers who could have handled this much better...given the appropriate authority.

Whats done is done now... and not much can be done to correct the fault in a matter of hours. So lets just hope that the games are held in their true spirit of sportmanship.

This is not how you develop or promote sports.. using this money .. build create grounds and atheletic facilities across India is how you do it. Just by building a bunch of stadiums in already crowded New Delhi does not improve things.

Back
Top Bottom