What's new

Which tank will Peru purchase ?

DavidSling

Reaction score
Country
Israel
640px-Merkava4m-Windbreaker-0036a_1.jpg

Spokesperson Unit from IDF, modification by User: MathKnight - File: Armored Corps Operate Near the Gaza Border (14,743,522,533) .jpg, CC BY 2.0 Https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=34361430

Advertisement on Maquina-de-Combate reveals that Chile is seeking to purchase 105 new tanks.

Publications about the tanks will replace the existing T-55 began in 2013 when local media claimed that the Peruvian government has allocated more than 800 millions of dollars for purchase of 105 tanks, 106 armored personnel carriers and more. But since then nothing happened.

According to the most recent campaign, it seems that the Peruvian government decided to restart the process.

The deal, apparently, is between K2 Black Panther of South Korea, Merkava 4 of Israel, German Leopard 2A6, and the Russian T-90 main battle tanks.

http://www.israeldefense.co.il/he/content/פרו-מתעניינית-ברכישת-טנק-המרכבה-סימן-4

translated with google translator

@Penguin @500 @Natan @Archdemon @GBU-28 @F-15I @mike2000 is back @Blue Marlin @Mountain Jew

Source: https://defence.pk/threads/iaf-shoot-down-hamas-drone-over-gaza.450334/#ixzz4LGyl25Bz

Last edited:
http://defence-blog.com/army/china-offers-100-vt4-main-battle-tanks-for-peru.html

China offers 100 VT4 main battle tanks also known as MBT -3000 for Peru, but the Peruvian government at this time, has not decided so far buying any tank, either Russian or Chinese.

Chinese executives assured the Peruvian delegation that unlike the MBT-2000, all components of the new MBT-3000 is manufactured by them (remember that the MBT 2000 gearbox has belonged Ukraine and China had no right to sell the tanks to a third country) MBT package of logistics and ammunition China includes but is not specified how much quoted per tank.

According to news agency Bloomberg, the cost per unit is $ 4 million compared to US tank Abrams, $ 6.9 million.

The VT4 (MBT3000) is a Chinese third generation main battle tank currently under development by Norinco. Pakistan plans to license and manufacture MBT 3000 as Al-Hyder tank.

The tank gun is a 125 mm (4.9 in) smoothbore, which can fire various shells including: kinetic energy penetrator, high explosive squash head and high explosive anti-tank warhead. In addition, the main gun can fire anti-tank missiles with a maximum range of 5,000 m (5,500 yd). In an interview with the tank’s designer, it is revealed that the main gun can fire a new APFSDS round that is capable of penetrating 1000 millimeters of RHA, presumably at a distance of 2000 meters. The VT4 can carry 38 rounds of main gun ammunition with a maximum loading speed of 8 rounds per minute with 22 rounds in theautoloader.

The Peruvian army operates 50 T-55 (280 delivered) and 35 AMX-13
Peru borders Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia and Ecuador.

Bolivia operates 54 SK-105 Kürassier light tanks (105mm gun), 24 EE-9 Cascavel armored cars (short 90mm gun).
Brazil operates 91 M-60A3 TTS Patton, 128 Leopard 1A1 and 250 Leopard 1A5/GR (all 105mm gun), 600 EE-9 Cascavel (short 90mm gun)
Chile operates 200 Leopard 2A4CHL (120mm gun), 100 Leopard 1V (105mm gun)
Colombia operates 180 EE-9 Cascavel armored carrs (short 90mm gun)
Ecuador operates 60 Leopard 1A5 and 1V, 64 T-55AM, 108 AMX-13 light tanks (all 105mm gun), 32 EE-9 Cascavel (90mm) and 10 ERC-90 Sagaie (long 90mm)

Foreign relations
Chile: improving after settlement of territorial disputes
Ecuador: improving after settlement of territorial disputes
Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia: Until recently the world's largest coca leaf producer, Peru has significantly reduced the area of coca under cultivation ; most of cocaine base is shipped to neighboring Colombia, Bolivia, and Brazil for processing

large_detailed_road_and_physical_map_of_peru_with_cities.jpg

Looking at terrain, I would think tank warfare could occur with Ecuador, Columbia, Brazi and Bolivia. Columbia doesn't posess tanks. The others operate AMX-13/SK-105 light tanks, Leopard 1 and M60A3.

K2 Black Panther of South Korea, Merkava 4 of Israel, and German Leopard 2A6 all seem overkill, not cost-effective. Unless Chile is the main potential opponent. Russian T-90 could be a good contender, depending on which version Peru would consider and Russia would offer. VT4 could be potential contender too, esp. if the price is right and quality acceptable.

Last edited:
I don't think israel will sale the MK4m to anyone,maybe the mk3baz
For peru i think the t-90 is the better option

I would say K2 Black Panther since South Korea and Peru have similar geography.

The Peruvian army operates 50 T-55 (280 delivered) and 35 AMX-13
Peru borders Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia and Ecuador.

Bolivia operates 54 SK-105 Kürassier light tanks (105mm gun), 24 EE-9 Cascavel armored cars (short 90mm gun).
Brazil operates 91 M-60A3 TTS Patton, 128 Leopard 1A1 and 250 Leopard 1A5/GR (all 105mm gun), 600 EE-9 Cascavel (short 90mm gun)
Chile operates 200 Leopard 2A4CHL (120mm gun), 100 Leopard 1V (105mm gun)
Colombia operates 180 EE-9 Cascavel armored carrs (short 90mm gun)
Ecuador operates 60 Leopard 1A5 and 1V, 64 T-55AM, 108 AMX-13 light tanks (all 105mm gun), 32 EE-9 Cascavel (90mm) and 10 ERC-90 Sagaie (long 90mm)

Foreign relations
Chile: improving after settlement of territorial disputes
Ecuador: improving after settlement of territorial disputes
Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia: Until recently the world's largest coca leaf producer, Peru has significantly reduced the area of coca under cultivation ; most of cocaine base is shipped to neighboring Colombia, Bolivia, and Brazil for processing

large_detailed_road_and_physical_map_of_peru_with_cities.jpg

Looking at terrain, I would think tank warfare could occur with Ecuador, Columbia, Brazi and Bolivia. Columbia doesn't posess tanks. The others operate AMX-13/SK-105 light tanks, Leopard 1 and M60A3.

K2 Black Panther of South Korea, Merkava 4 of Israel, and German Leopard 2A6 all seem overkill, not cost-effective. Unless Chile is the main potential opponent. Russian T-90 could be a good contender, depending on which version Peru would consider and Russia would offer. VT4 could be potential contender too, esp. if the price is right and quality acceptable.

Sadly I think the main criteria for tank purchases in South Americaa would be crowd control. They are pretty good about avoiding wars with each other.

Even if one did start a fight with another there are so many interlocking treaties a gang-up would occur to stop it. Then somebody would call the US in and everything would be over.

Last edited:
israel allready sold to singapur in 2014
THis is not a certainty. I don't believe any have been delivered. Sipri has no record of this particular arms transfer.

Sadly I think the main criteria for tank purchases in South Americaa would be crowd control. They are pretty good about avoiding wars with each other.

Even if one did start a fight with another there are so many interlocking treaties ta gang-up would occur to stop it. Then somebody would call the US in and everything would be over.
Wonder what the relative costs of the offerings are, including Chinese offering and T-55 upgrade. Upgrading is nearly always cheaper than buying new, question is whether upgrade would result in a sufficient capability improvement.

This Ukrainian model is a pretty comprehensive upgrade (in many was comparable to Al Zarrar, incl. 125mm).
tifon-3l.jpg

AL Zarrar (which uses many components from Morozov, Ukraine, including 125mm)
Alzarrar.jpg

The Russians have T-55M6 (100mm)
T-55AM_vttv_omsk_2007_001.jpg

xe-tang-t-55am-la-lua-chon-tot-nhat-voi-viet-nam-hinh-4.jpg

This Vietnamese T-55 upgrade (105mm) is based on the Slovenian T-55 upgrade, using Israeli components
t-55-m3-image01.jpg

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/vietnam/army-modernization.htm

M-55 S, a Slovenian upgraded T-55 (105mm)
260909_Slovenian_t-55_0.jpg

m-55-image02.jpg

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/europe/m-55.htm

Last edited:
merkava is the best he also can come with aps
Any tank can come with APS, provided the customer specifies it and is willing to pay for it. Merkava is a top tank, it is not necessarily the best in all scenarios or situations, as it was designed specifically for the Israeli military, geographical and climatic situation

not every county can biuld aps only israel aps is combat proven even usa that have aps buy from us
i wonder why they choose not to develop merkava 5
i think they need to develop fighter jet
and something like the avenger but i dont know where money will come from

not every county can biuld aps only israel aps is combat proven even usa that have aps buy from us
yawn....

But in a fee market, every country can buy it (APS) and not just from Israel. 'Combat proven' is nice but not necessarily means you get the better system.

Israel's Merkava IV is the most recent variant of the Merkava tank, in development since 1999 and in production in limited numbers per late 2004. The Merkava Mk 4M is a Merkava Mk IV equipped with the Trophy APS. While the APS system became operational by the end of 2007, serial production of Merkava Mk 4M tanks started in 2009. Thefirst whole brigade of Merkava Mk 4M tanks was declared operational in 2011. So that is still pretty new.

On July 14, 2011, The Jerusalem Post reported that IDF begun developing a successor for the Merkava series of tanks. The arrival of the Trophy APS, with its ability to intercept threats at a stand-off distance, led to a review of the need for vehicles like the Merkava, with thick, heavy layers of armor etc. The 65-ton Merkava is not regarded as useful for missions other than conventional warfare. The Israeli Army Armored Corps wants a lighter and highly mobile vehicle for rapid-response and urban warfare situations that can fill multiple roles. Hence, in 2012, the Defense Ministry drafted a program for development of a new family of light armored vehicles dubbed "future manned combat vehicle" (FMCV). While the FMCV will be a fifth-generation vehicle as a follow-on to the Merkava IV, it will not be a replacement for the tank. Merkava III/IV and Namer heavy tracked vehicles will remain in service for decades, while FMCV vehicles will address entirely different operational requirements.

Jets are off-topic in this thread.

Avenger-like vehicle? Besides 60 ZSU-23-4, IDF uses 400 Machbet, an Israeli upgrade of the M163 self-propelled automatic 20mm Vulcan anti-aircraft gatling gun, mounted on the M113 armored personnel carrier

Hovet / M163 VADS
M163front2.jpg%7Eoriginal

Machbet
M-163%2BIDF%2BMachbet%2B10.jpg

Converted from earlier Hovet (M163 VADS), it adds an enhanced suite of TV and FLIR target auto-tracking capability to the 20 mm Vulcan and Stinger launchers. A unit-level fire coordination and management capability is provided, as well as an interface to a sectorial air surveillance radar for the air targets picture.

The M167 Vulcan Air Defense System (VADS) was a towed version, which in US service was replaced by the M1097 Avenger.
M167-Vulcan.jpg

Combat proven against what?

Back
Top Bottom