What's new

What to do in a nuclear bomb blast near your place and you survive?

thesolar65

Reaction score
Country
India
1. The WORST thing for someone to try to do, in the aftermath of a nuclear explosion that they survive, is to get in a car and drive away.

2. Unless you're within about a third to a half a mile radius of ground zero and the shelter options are poor, the BEST thing for someone to do is to find a stable location inside a well-built apartment or office building — the majority of which will remain standing outside that half mile radius — and stay there for 24 hours.

And if you were very close to ground zero and you did survive — and a lot of folks will — the best thing for you to do is to:

A. Take immediate shelter somewhere, because fallout will rain down on you if you don't.

B. Wait an hour.

C. Then, walk about a half-dozen blocks laterally until you find intact large buildings to shelter you.

3. The electromagnetic pulse from a ground burst will NOT, in fact, knock out all types of communication. Some? Maybe.

4. If you live in a single-family house with thin walls, your chances of surviving in the immediate aftermath of a blast and not getting cancer later are exponentially higher if you seek shelter in a bigger building, even one that might literally be next door.

5. Rescuers should NOT put on radiation protection gear if it will slow them down. So long as the fallout has stopped falling, they're best advised to turn out in their normal gear.

6. Though thousands of people will die from the blast effects, almost all — about 96 percent — of the other potential casualties could be avoided if people understood the basics of what to do in the event of mass radiation exposure.

7. Did I mention that the worst place to be in the immediate aftermath of a nuclear blast is in a car trying to get away? The so-called DFZ — the Dangerous Fallout Zone — will extend out as much as 20 miles, but it is likely to be extremely narrow. (If it's not, that means the concentration of radioactive particles will be lower.) The vector and location of this zone depends on the wind. And its size will shrink with every passing hour.

8. Penetrating trauma from broken glass is probably the largest treatable cadre of blast injuries.

This is an excerpt from an Article I just read!!

@HariPrasad @gslvmk3 @jarves @Dem!god @DRAY @scorpionx @SarthakGanguly @Skull and Bones @gambit @Peter C @Yzd Khalifa @faisal6309 @Ravi Nair @Indischer @SpArK @he-man @Echo_419 @desert warrior @chak de INDIA and others.

Some extra input from those who have survived!!....:D

Last edited:
I once read that you can do the following:

1) Lie down flat on your stomach
2) Cover your whole body with thick clothes as much as possible
3) Cover your eatables and drinking water with a white cotton cloth
4) if you place has an opening cover that too with a white thick cotton cloth

I read it along time so dont really remember the reason behind white or cotton cloth.

What about
Shower + change of clothes / dusting of clothes if you were outside and somehow survived

I just added ''surviving nuclear explosions 101'' to the list of completely useless things I know, I once saw an Indiana Jones movie in which he hides in a lead covered refrigerator during a nuclear explosion, I wonder if that works in real life as well....

I just added ''surviving nuclear explosions 101'' to the list of completely useless things I know, I once saw an Indiana Jones movie in which he hides in a lead covered refrigerator during a nuclear explosion, I wonder if that works in real life as well....

It would. But how many people have lead covered refrigerators lying around?:what:

First of all, please tell me how would a survivor know that the blast was nuclear? I don't know whether my question sounds stupid, but after surviving such a blast most of the survivors won't be able to think and figure out whats going around before its too late?

1. The WORST thing for someone to try to do, in the aftermath of a nuclear explosion that they survive, is to get in a car and drive away.

2. Unless you're within about a third to a half a mile radius of ground zero and the shelter options are poor, the BEST thing for someone to do is to find a stable location inside a well-built apartment or office building — the majority of which will remain standing outside that half mile radius — and stay there for 24 hours.

And if you were very close to ground zero and you did survive — and a lot of folks will — the best thing for you to do is to:

A. Take immediate shelter somewhere, because fallout will rain down on you if you don't.

B. Wait an hour.

C. Then, walk about a half-dozen blocks laterally until you find intact large buildings to shelter you.

3. The electromagnetic pulse from a ground burst will NOT, in fact, knock out all types of communication. Some? Maybe.

4. If you live in a single-family house with thin walls, your chances of surviving in the immediate aftermath of a blast and not getting cancer later are exponentially higher if you seek shelter in a bigger building, even one that might literally be next door.

5. Rescuers should NOT put on radiation protection gear if it will slow them down. So long as the fallout has stopped falling, they're best advised to turn out in their normal gear.

6. Though thousands of people will die from the blast effects, almost all — about 96 percent — of the other potential casualties could be avoided if people understood the basics of what to do in the event of mass radiation exposure.

7. Did I mention that the worst place to be in the immediate aftermath of a nuclear blast is in a car trying to get away? The so-called DFZ — the Dangerous Fallout Zone — will extend out as much as 20 miles, but it is likely to be extremely narrow. (If it's not, that means the concentration of radioactive particles will be lower.) The vector and location of this zone depends on the wind. And its size will shrink with every passing hour.

8. Penetrating trauma from broken glass is probably the largest treatable cadre of blast injuries.

This is an excerpt from an Article I just read!!

@HariPrasad @gslvmk3 @jarves @Dem!god @DRAY @scorpionx @SarthakGanguly @Skull and Bones @gambit @Peter C @Yzd Khalifa @faisal6309 @Ravi Nair @Indischer @SpArK @he-man @Echo_419 and others.

Some extra input from those who have survived!!....:D
I think the best way is to.....
bring in chips.....some cold beers......and plug in ur PSP or X box.......:D:D

Attention all married men, please share your survival tactics. :D
Bhabhi ko bolta hu mai......:angry:

Back
Top Bottom