What's new

What Does ToT : Transfer of Technology mean (Guide for Dummies)

Irfan Baloch

SENIOR MODERATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
TOT

these immortal and Godly words are used with majestic generosity and at exponential scale. if there is anything discussed our members across the international boundaries would drop them with single minded finality.
for the TOT enthusiasts what doesn't matter is, if the touted craft, gun, ship, space cruiser and automatic back scratchier fits the needs of your country or not? if there is something already there doing the same job or not? is there technical know how available or not? are there personnel and resources spare or not? is the country of origin willing to share it or not? is it economically viable or not?

for the TOT enthusiasts what matter's is, it is cool looking, there is some exceptional photography done for the said machine or object. its said numbers and "specs" look "awesome".

2860110505001.png

TOT this
6a00d8341cc08553ef017eea59d14a970d-800wi

TOT that
peg-dolls-vehicles.jpg

if it moves , we must get TOT that
16-300x300.jpg

whats that? we must get TOT of that

kick-me-machine1.jpg

@niaz just couldnt contain himself and had to explain the meaning to one enthusiast and it just forced me to make this thread I was meaning to do for some time

Mi- 35M 'Hind E for Pakistan army | Page 8

upload_2014-12-14_12-25-40.png

wiki says

Technology transfer, also called transfer of technology (TOT), is the process of transferring skills, knowledge, technologies, methods of manufacturing, samples of manufacturing and facilities among governments or universities and other institutions to ensure that scientific and technological developments are accessible to a wider range of users who can then further develop and exploit the technology into new products, processes, applications, materials or services. It is closely related to (and may arguably be considered a subset of) knowledge transfer. Horizontal transfer is the movement of technologies from one area to another. At present[when?]transfer of technology (TOT) is primarily horizontal. Vertical transfer occurs when technologies are moved from applied research centers to research and development departments.[1]

Technology brokers are people who discovered how to bridge the emergent worlds and apply scientific concepts or processes to new situations or circumstances.[2]A related term, used almost synonymously, is "technology valorisation". While conceptually the practice has been utilized for many years (in ancient times,Archimedes was notable for applying science to practical problems), the present-day volume of research, combined with high-profile failures at Xerox PARC and elsewhere[citation needed], has led to a focus on the process it self
===

but F it. who cares we wants the ToT and we wants to has it NOW

@Oscar

@niaz just couldnt contain himself and had to explain the meaning to one enthusiast and it just forced me to make this thread I was meaning to do for some time.
While you may be right, the way you have tried to make and present your case was downright awful. All this could have been said in gentler and palatable manner so that who you are addressing would listen and not get put off. Moreover, TOT is not something set in stone; how far would it go depends on the matching interests of the parties involved. A TOT between US and Israel, or US and UK differs considerably from a TOT between US and KSA, or US and Singapore.

Last edited:
AFAIK ToT is vulnerable to sanctions etc.
Su 30MKI is best example of ToT .When we signed this deal in late 2000s with Russia we also added the clauses for ToT.
Now HAL can develop 100% Su 30 and AL engines.
But recently I heard about our depend on the Russia for some extreme sensitive materials for that system.
Like that Wiki says we can add our idea in to it if we have ToT.
Su 30MK original is upgraded in to advanced MKI with best western avionics and Indian softwares.
But for the absorption of ToT of most complex system like AeroEngine ,Aircraft, and Nuke reactors you should have most advanced industry and infra facilities.
An expensive deal after all.

While some members do go over the top with ToT this and ToT that or dont quite understand that it does not mean that full technology is never transferred. But one can never over emphasize the element of ToT no matter how insignificant it might seem. The manufacturing concepts and quality control processes learnt in such deals will inevitably lead to future deletions and indigenization. So just as going over the top for ToT is not wise, doing so against it isn't either.

TOT is nothing more than we supply you parts you put it together, teaching how to put parts together is TOT

TOT

these immortal and Godly words are used with majestic generosity and at exponential scale. if there is anything discussed our members across the international boundaries would drop them with single minded finality.
for the TOT enthusiasts what doesn't matter is, if the touted craft, gun, ship, space cruiser and automatic back scratchier fits the needs of your country or not? if there is something already there doing the same job or not? is there technical know how available or not? are there personnel and resources spare or not? is the country of origin willing to share it or not? is it economically viable or not?

for the TOT enthusiasts what matter's is, it is cool looking, there is some exceptional photography done for the said machine or object. its said numbers and "specs" look "awesome".

2860110505001.png

TOT this
6a00d8341cc08553ef017eea59d14a970d-800wi

TOT that
peg-dolls-vehicles.jpg

if it moves , we must get TOT that
16-300x300.jpg

whats that? we must get TOT of that

kick-me-machine1.jpg

@niaz just couldnt contain himself and had to explain the meaning to one enthusiast and it just forced me to make this thread I was meaning to do for some time

Mi- 35M 'Hind E for Pakistan army | Page 8

View attachment 175640

wiki says

Technology transfer, also called transfer of technology (TOT), is the process of transferring skills, knowledge, technologies, methods of manufacturing, samples of manufacturing and facilities among governments or universities and other institutions to ensure that scientific and technological developments are accessible to a wider range of users who can then further develop and exploit the technology into new products, processes, applications, materials or services. It is closely related to (and may arguably be considered a subset of) knowledge transfer. Horizontal transfer is the movement of technologies from one area to another. At present[when?]transfer of technology (TOT) is primarily horizontal. Vertical transfer occurs when technologies are moved from applied research centers to research and development departments.[1]

Technology brokers are people who discovered how to bridge the emergent worlds and apply scientific concepts or processes to new situations or circumstances.[2]A related term, used almost synonymously, is "technology valorisation". While conceptually the practice has been utilized for many years (in ancient times,Archimedes was notable for applying science to practical problems), the present-day volume of research, combined with high-profile failures at Xerox PARC and elsewhere[citation needed], has led to a focus on the process it self
===

@Oscar
Ever heard of Bofors?8-)
Now hear about Dhanush:azn:

ToT varies from deal to deal. We as PDF members must assume that ToT in every deal gives the buyer the ability to manufacture the purchased item in any quantity, and make use of them in other products and further improvement. This is a vital part of winning the online battle and our inalienable right.

ToT has different meanings within ambits of different deals.

Something the OP doesn't seem to know.

@Oscar

I dont know about these details, all I know is that we need ToT, JV, Purchase, Gift of J-20 from China as a start.. and we should talk to the Americans about ToT of some Trident SLBMs on FMF.

Back
Top Bottom