What's new

What Does Islam Say about Terrorism?

MK,

I completely agree with you. It was but a few years ago that I thought the suicide attacks by the Palestinians, though condemnable, were justice for the occupation. It took a lot of introspection to realize that no matter what; deliberately taking innocent life is never just. The Arabs have lost moral authority in the eyes of the world with that approach. And as for these Mullahs in Pakistan, though I posted the article to point out to some that Fatwas's have been issued against terror, the fact that after every major attack the GoP and "agencies" are blamed by these very same people renders the "Fatwa's useless. It is because of people like these that a perverted notion of Takiyya has come to symbolize Muslims.

Agno,

Thanks for understanding. I have known for a longtime and you too amongst others that these Fatwas of today have no meaning in real life. But it is like--hope for some, a beacon of some kind, people think that it might work---please God let it work.

We err when we look at these criminals through the eyes of our minds and our souls---and as we cannot comprehend ourselves doing these kind of things, we cannot understand how the others can do it to themsleves to put themselves in that position and kill their own countrymen, women and innocent children.

The problem with these so called clerics is that they believed that they were somebody---they could give a Fatwa and rest will follow through---once the genie gets out of the bottle---it is at his convenience when he would go back into the bottle. They should have realized their error of judgement when the MULLAH of the RED MOSQUE snubbed them in the public, on the tv and in front of everyone---loud and clear.

Then again, it comes down to lack of understanding of the terrorist mind---that is where our problem lies---I have not seen a single person come on pak tv and openly talk about the problems except for Gen Musharraf retd.

MK,

I completely agree with you. It was but a few years ago that I thought the suicide attacks by the Palestinians, though condemnable, were justice for the occupation. It took a lot of introspection to realize that no matter what; deliberately taking innocent life is never just. The Arabs have lost moral authority in the eyes of the world with that approach. And as for these Mullahs in Pakistan, though I posted the article to point out to some that Fatwas's have been issued against terror, the fact that after every major attack the GoP and "agencies" are blamed by these very same people renders the "Fatwa's useless. It is because of people like these that a perverted notion of Takiyya has come to symbolize Muslims.

With all due respect I have to disagree with you on the Palestinian issue. The Palestinians in my opinion are in a state of war. They have no army, no weapons all they have are these groups. Now I am not trying to defend these suicide bombers but they are a oppressed people and this is the only way they can fight a war against the Israelis.

The Hizbullah of Lebanon are no army, but they did something that was not expected.

What stops Palestinians?

Are you suggesting that the Shias are more committed?

Think!

Check what is the problem instead of trotting out points that would not face muster.

Hi

The palestninians did more damage to israel when they started the intifada in the 80's. That is when they had peaceful demos against the israelis---there was no stone throwers--no gasoline bombs---no assault of any kind just peacefull rallies---and there was the picture of israeli soldiers shooting at the peaceful rally---when the videos came out---the world was shook up with this new version of protest and israeli brutality---the israelis faced a big problem---they realized that the palestinians have found a new weapon in their arsenal which was deadlier than any they had before----how to over come---the israelis came up with a plan---they planted stooges in the rallies---these paid stooges would join the rallies and would then start trouble---they would throw rocks and gas bombs at the isarelis to justify israeli retaliation---it also changed the mindset of the crowd--they reverted back to their old game. They have been losers ever since---.

A weapon should only be used if it can weaken or destroy the enemy. But if your weapon is only working against you then you are a fool to use and the people who support the use of this weapon are not your friends but rather your enemies.

Hi

The palestninians did more damage to israel when they started the intifada in the 80's. That is when they had peaceful demos against the israelis---there was no stone throwers--no gasoline bombs---no assault of any kind just peacefull rallies---and there was the picture of israeli soldiers shooting at the peaceful rally---when the videos came out---the world was shook up with this new version of protest and israeli brutality---the israelis faced a big problem---they realized that the palestinians have found a new weapon in their arsenal which was deadlier than any they had before----how to over come---the israelis came up with a plan---they planted stooges in the rallies---these paid stooges would join the rallies and would then start trouble---they would throw rocks and gas bombs at the isarelis to justify israeli retaliation---it also changed the mindset of the crowd--they reverted back to their old game. They have been losers ever since---.

A weapon should only be used if it can weaken or destroy the enemy. But if your weapon is only working against you then you are a fool to use and the people who support the use of this weapon are not your friends but rather your enemies.

Well said. What the world needs to condemm is Israeli attacks because they are the ones who are kill innocent civilians first and in my opinion the Palestinians have the right to respond. But it is a shame that we have some corrupt elements amoung these people who are only making their people look bad.

Was Islam Spread by the Sword?​

It is a common misconception with some non-Muslims that Islam would not have millions of adherents all over the world, if it had not been spread by the use of force.

The following points will make it clear, that far from being spread by the sword, it was the inherent force of truth, reason and logic that was responsible for the rapid spread of Islam.

Islam has always given respect and freedom of religion to all faiths. Freedom of religion is ordained in the Quran itself:

“There shall be no compulsion in [acceptance of] the religion. The right course has become clear from the wrong.” (Quran 2:256)

The noted historian De Lacy O’Leary wrote:[1] “History makes it clear however, that the legend of fanatical Muslims sweeping through the world and forcing Islam at the point of the sword upon conquered races is one of the most fantastically absurd myths that historians have ever repeated.”

The famous historian, Thomas Carlyle, in his book Heroes and Hero worship, refers to this misconception about the spread of Islam: “The sword indeed, but where will you get your sword? Every new opinion, at its starting is precisely in a minority of one; in one man’s head alone. There it dwells as yet. One man alone of the whole world believes it, there is one man against all men. That he takes a sword and tries to propagate with that will do little for him. You must get your sword! On the whole, a thing will propagate itself as it can.”

If Islam was spread by the sword, it was the sword of intellect and convincing arguments. It is this sword that conquers the hearts and minds of people. The Quran says in this connection:

“Invite to the way of your Lord with wisdom and good instruction, and argue with them in a way that is best.” (Quran 16:125)

The facts speak for themselves:

· Indonesia is the country that has the largest number of Muslims in the world, and the majority of people in Malaysia are Muslims. But, no Muslim army ever went to Indonesia or Malaysia. It is an established historical fact that Indonesia entered Islam not due to war, but because of its moral message. Despite the disappearance of Islamic government from many regions once ruled by it, their original inhabitants have remained Muslims. Moreover, they carried the message of truth, inviting others to it as well, and in so doing endured harm, affliction and oppression. The same can be said for those in the regions of Syria and Jordan, Egypt, Iraq, North Africa, Asia, the Balkans and in Spain. This shows that the effect of Islam on the population was one of moral conviction, in contrast to occupation by western colonialists, finally compelled to leave lands whose peoples held only memories of affliction, sorrow, subjugation and oppression.

· Muslims ruled Spain (Andalusia) for about 800 years. During this period the Christians and Jews enjoyed freedom to practice their respective religions, and this is a documented historical fact.

· Christian and Jewish minorities have survived in the Muslim lands of the Middle East for centuries. Countries such as Egypt, Morocco, Palestine, Lebanon, Syria, and Jordan all have significant Christian and Jewish populations.

· Muslims ruled India for about a thousand years, and therefore had the power to force each and every non-Muslim of India to convert to Islam, but they did not, and thus more than 80% of the Indian population remains non-Muslim.

· Similarly, Islam spread rapidly on the East Coast of Africa. And likewise no Muslim army was ever dispatched to the East Coast of Africa.

· An article in Reader’s Digest ‘Almanac’, yearbook 1986, gives the statistics of the increase of the percentage of the major religions of the world in half a century from 1934 to 1984. This article also appeared in The Plain Truth magazine. At the top was Islam, which increased by 235%, while Christianity had increased by 47%. During this fifty-year period, there was no “Islamic conquest” yet Islam spread at an extraordinary rate.

· Today the fastest growing religion in America and Europe is Islam. The Muslims in these lands are a minority. The only sword they have in their possession is the sword of truth. It is this sword that is converting thousands to Islam.

· Islamic law protects the privileged status of minorities, and that is why non-Muslim places of worship have flourished all over the Islamic world. Islamic law also allows non-Muslim minorities to set up their own courts, which implement family laws drawn up by the minorities themselves. The life and property of all citizens in an Islamic state are considered sacred whether they are Muslims or not.

Conclusion
It is clear, therefore, that Islam did not spread by the sword. The “sword of Islam” did not convert all the non-Muslim minorities in Muslim countries. In India, where Muslims ruled for 800 years, they are still a minority. In the U.S.A., Islam is the fastest growing religion and has over six million followers.

In his book The World’s Religions, Huston Smith discusses how the prophet Muhammad granted freedom of religion to the Jews and Christians under Muslim rule:

The Prophet had a document drawn up in which he stipulated that Jews and Christians “shall be protected from all insults and harm; they shall have an equal right with our own people to our assistance and good offices,” and further, “they shall practice their religion as freely as the Muslims.”[2]

Smith points out that Muslims regard that document as the first charter of freedom of conscience in human history and the authoritative model for those of every subsequent Muslim state.

Footnotes:
[1] In his book Islam at the Crossroads, p.8.

[2] Quoted in The World’s Religions by Huston Smith, Harper Collins, 1991, p. 256

The Religion of Islam - Was Islam Spread by the Sword?

The Hizbullah of Lebanon are no army, but they did something that was not expected.

What stops Palestinians?

Are you suggesting that the Shias are more committed?

Think!

Check what is the problem instead of trotting out points that would not face muster.

Salaam,

Rather than sputter words and rhetorical questions, I think it would be comendable if you elaborated for our fellow forum members.

Peace Within
------------
Admin of faithoffreedom.topicboard.net

Peace Within.

Just peruse the various posts of the threads and then pontificate.

I am sure you are aware of world events and their spinoff and so there is no need for anyone to spoonfeed or is there?

Peace Within.

Just peruse the various posts of the threads and then pontificate.

I am sure you are aware of world events and their spinoff and so there is no need for anyone to spoonfeed or is there?

Saalam,

I did not mean to be rude. I've been part of the online forum community since 1997. You can't ever satisfy someone's thirst without stating any facts. That's as plain as it gets.

As much as I would like to 'act self-righteously', there are always the specifics - that's something you should always mention when replying to a post. The manner in which you posted just made me feel like you were taunting someone, or were you simply just stating the obvious?

Peace Within
------------
Admin of faithoffreedom.topicboard.net

What I have said has been sated so many times that it is not worth stating again is what i thought would be prudent!

In fact, it has been downright boring!

And thus best as a aide mémoire!

Why there is no fatwa against the terrorists, while there are lots of fatwas on unnecessary and unrelated issues?

Why there is no call from religious leaders during after prayer sermon for not to support terrorists?

Why there is a no strong voice against terrorists? Why there is no protest against terror incidents, when there are vilolent protests for silly reasons?

What do you say about Theolog Prof. Ali Bardakoglu's fatwas in name of Turkish Department of Religious Affairs?

What do you think what made Muslim Turks protesting hrant dink assasination and saying "all we are armenian, all we are hrant"?

Tolerance is the soul of Islam, I think..

NATO PARLIAMENTARY ASSEMBLY

12th Mediterranean Dialogue Seminar

The Middle East at A Crossroads:New Challenges For East – West Dialogue

Istanbul, Turkey 2 – 4 May 2006

“ISLAM AND THE WORLD IN TRANSITION”

Professor Ali Bardakoglu
President of Religious Affairs,
Ankara, Turkey

Distinguished Guests,

I would like to thank organizers of this meeting for giving me an opportunity to share my views on timely issues which concern not only Islam and Muslims but the whole world. We are living in an age of rapid social, political and cultural change. In my view religion is an important part of this ongoing change. Globalization and communication on the one hand and movement of people, ideas and capital on the other hand are transforming our world.

Dear Guests,

I would like to take this opportunity to address significant issues on Islam and how it relates to politics, human rights, democracy, secularism, and violence in general and state-religion relations, co-existence of Islam and democracy in Turkey in particular. In this context, talking about Turkey is meaningful because it has been a home for peace, toleration and diverse cultures for many centuries.

Distinguished Guests,

Religion has always been one of the sources of collective identity and an inspiration for the establishment of a moral community. What unites great religions is their moral message to the Mankind. Under the influence of modernity, rationality and secularity, religiosity and our perception of religion take different forms. It is true that in some regions and countries religion lost its influence. However, contrary to the expectations of many theories, religion became more vital in some countries. Peter Berger as a well known sociologist of religion observes that we are living in an increasingly religious world. This means that many people take their religion seriously. Religious faith inspires people. Religions answer existential questions for many people today. This is a sociological fact that we should not ignore when address issues involving religion, society and politics.

Distinguished Guests

Let me address relations between religion and politics from Islamic point of view. In my view religions in general and Islam in particular are above politics and also free from politics. It is not a part of political machinery, nor an instrument to be used by political groups or by politicians. However, the reality on the ground is somewhat different. We observe some instances where religion is used to legitimize the political order. When we look at the Muslim world today, we see numerous problems regarding democratization and state-religion relations. We see that in some countries Islam is used to justify current political orders. It is time to take a critical look at the problem of the misuse of Islam for political justification. Islam promotes human rights, political participation, civil initiatives, and justice and equality; it does not oppress ideas in the name of God not it allows the use of religion for political purposes.

Dear Guests,

Now I would like to address one of the most serious questions we face today on a global scale that is violence in the name of religion. We, as Muslims, strongly condemn global terrorism and violence in all forms. Some ill informed people may use religious concepts and rhetoric to justify acts of violence. This is completely unacceptable. On the other hand blaming religions and establishing links between religions and terrorism is also wrong. Such an association hurts the feelings of true believers. Therefore we urge world leaders and politicians not to associate violence with religion because all religions essentially teach peace and condemn terrorism. In fact, more significant matter that provokes terror and violence is the national and international practices of the policy makers. We should also take into account how the local people perceive these practices of insiders and outsiders.

Terror is a concept that is unjustly associated with Islam and Muslims. There is a misconception and misrepresentation on this issue. The Qur'an not only disapproves of terror, but also openly condemns it. Violence and terror do not stem from religion. The Islamic world, as well as the West, should question themselves about what the motives of the existing violence are. It is obvious that religious affiliation, race, ethnic and regional identity can be easily channeled into violence in societies where the distribution of economic income creates vast inequalities and where people lose their faith in their future.

An authoritarian regime, lack of democracy and freedom, injustice, poverty, sense of alienation and deprivation, lack of political participation and civil society, sense of being dominated and exploited lead to radicalism, monolithic understanding of religion and in some cases to violence in the name of God. If there is no mechanism for expressing injustices and grievances, then people may become vulnerable to unwanted influences and resort to non-democratic methods. In order to prevent radicalization of people it is essential to establish democracy, freedom of thought and expression, justice for all and eliminate poverty, exploration and discrimination. Otherwise exploitation of religions may continue in the future.

Dear Guests

I would like to touch upon Turkey to show that Islam and democracy can co-exist. Turkey occupies a unique place among the modern nation states with a Muslim majority population. Turkey should be studied very carefully and its experience with Islam, democracy and secularization should be taken into consideration if one wants to understand the regional dynamics and to find sustainable and logical solutions to perennial problems facing some Muslim societies today. A careful study of Turkey with its deeply rooted legacy will help us to answer the following questions: Can Islam and democracy coexist? How far can religion and secularism be reconciled? To what extent can religious liberty, particularly freedom of religious expression, be extended in a secular state with a majority Muslim population? Turkey convincingly shows that Islam and democracy can co-exist, various faith communities can live side by side in peace. A secular state can be well established and provide religious liberty for its citizens regardless of their religion, ethnicity and denominational convictions. Turkey’s achievements in reconciling religion and secularism, Islam and democracy, pluralism and toleration derive from its history and accumulation of rationality in modern Turkey.

Distinguished Guests

Modern Turkey has the privilege of having diverse religious and spiritual traditions. Turkey is proud of this richness. The political and cultural identity of modern Turkey emerged under the influence of such diverse and multi-dimensional forces that existed in and around Turkey throughout the centuries. Therefore modern Turkish identity and perception of religion in Turkey carry the imprint of diverse influences. Thus, neither the perception of Islam nor the values of identity are fixed, static and extreme.

Dear Guests

I would like to conclude by making a call: We believe that there is an urgent need to establish toleration on a global scale. However, to achieve this objective, politicians, statesmen, civilian organizations and religious leaders should do much more than issuing statements. We, as leaders of faith communities are doing our best to promote values of toleration. Politicians and statesmen should also contribute to these efforts by paying the utmost attention to the sensitivities of people by taking social, political and economic steps for the solution of problems and crises that threaten our future

Thank you for your attention.

Back
Top Bottom