What's new

We Are Soldiers

A few weeks ago I inquired Wajahat on facebook about the status of WE ARE SOLDIERS. Today I got his reply. This is what he had to say:

Getting Shot Down Doesn't Mean You're Gonna Crash...

I know. It's super cheesy. But you've always got options. After 'We Are Soldiers' was banned, I faced serious issues as a professional. My proposals for new projects were turned down, I was effectively out of the 'power loop' at work, and I felt pretty useless. But everyone moves on. And I did too. Today, on Nov 7, two days after my 31st birthday and a day short of my 6 month wedding anniversary (both serious hallmarks, trust me) I am making my official comeback by returning with 'TalkBack', my old series. But actually, its not really about my 'comeback'. And it's not really about me. Its about what I do: journalism.

Journalism has changed the face of Pakistan. Sure, its got regulation, ethical, and bias issues. Sure, many of those who write in our papers and blogs or appear on our screens are perhaps not as responsible (or even as bright, or even as trained) as some of the others. But trust me, most of them mean well.

'Soldiers' was banned by a very powerful institution. Still, months after the ban and the doc not being on TV, this facebook page is still growing. The show is not on air, but its message and impact remains. Just tonight, I got an email from a young lady who said that she was inspired by the documentary and that it had played a part in propelling her to study documentary film making.

If most of you thought that 'Soldiers' was for guys with a 'boys with toys' complex, think again. And if you think a very powerful institution can magically make a show that took a few thousand hours of shooting, editing and writing to disappear, then you're wrong on that as well. Why? Because good journalism is like telling the truth, and truth is inspirational. And constant.

Thus, journalism and its many facets, from blogs to docs to tweeting, from Geo to Dawn to CNN to Pay-per-view Bloomberg News, will continue to affect us and will continue to evolve. And we must keep up with it. It's a civic duty to observe journalism, participate in it, and think critically about it. But we have to challenge it, like we would to a science, not just believe in it, like we would with religion.

As for my new show, 'TalkBack' has been called by a critic to be the 'toughest show on television'. It's a hard earned title, because we work hard to prove a point. Extra hard. We look for sources no one really knows about. We devise our research methodology with such detail that we have to force ourselves to actually take some time off before the shoot to relax a little. We pull all nighters every week, week after week, and inspire each other with the belief that this work will pay off. If not today evening, then maybe tomorrow morning, when the show repeats. If not tomorrow morning, then maybe on some website somewhere, where it will be posted by a fan. The possibilities of the dissemination of information in today's world are both numerous and exciting.

That's why the information going 'out there' better be good.

That's why we do journalism. To get the word out. The right word.

I hope to hear back from you guys about the show. Just like we did in 'Soldiers' we are trying to shatter the barriers and myths that are so pervasive in our country.

'TalkBack, the Comeback Series ' airs at 7pm PST today (Saturday 7/11) and then at 11 am again tomorrow morning on Dawn News TV. It will be uploaded on (YouTube - talkbackdawn's Channel) after broadcast. I might even do a 'ustream.com' video conference after the show, which is like video blogging, but I haven't slept in a couple of days so that depends on how far the coffee can take me today!

You liked We Are Soldiers. That's why you're on this page and getting this message. Trust me, you will love TalkBack.

Best of luck. Over and Out.

WSK

PS: If you think this message is worth spreading, send it to your pals. We need the support and the viewership

I guess it sums it up pretty clearly that WE ARE SOLDIERS is not going to be aired again. :cry::cry::tdown::tdown:

Soldiers, while a good enough series lacked in quality and accuracy of information.

The quality and accuracy, or there lack of, was as good as that of any show you see on Discovery's military channel. For a Pakistani show, it was a very decent effort to set the military documentaries on the right footing..too bad Navy had other ideas.

A few weeks ago I inquired Wajahat on facebook about the status of WE ARE SOLDIERS. Today I got his reply. This is what he had to say:

I guess it sums it up pretty clearly that WE ARE SOLDIERS is not going to be aired again.:cry::cry::tdown::tdown:
Owais, did you write to him on behalf of PDF? Also, if you did, can we please see what you wrote?

Also, It was interesting to read about the "very powerful organization". If this organization is the ISPR, then they have every right to block the spread of information. I didn't realize there was any "sensitive" information in WAS, however, you never know what piece of information could be used against us.

I will wait for TalkBack. Hopefully, it will live to the "toughest show on TV" comment. I wish this man all the best in his endeavors, his efforts with WAS were surely appreciated.

Owais, did you write to him on behalf of PDF? Also, if you did, can we please see what you wrote?

Also, It was interesting to read about the "very powerful organization". If this organization is the ISPR, then they have every right to block the spread of information. I didn't realize there was any "sensitive" information in WAS, however, you never know what piece of information could be used against us.

I will wait for TalkBack. Hopefully, it will live to the "toughest show on TV" comment. I wish this man all the best in his endeavors, his efforts with WAS were surely appreciated.

No sir I didn't write on behalf of PDF.

Wajahat is my friend on facebook and I asked him this question in a private conversation.

The quality and accuracy, or there lack of, was as good as that of any show you see on Discovery's military channel. For a Pakistani show, it was a very decent effort to set the military documentaries on the right footing..too bad Navy had other ideas.

Do we have any idea of what actually irked the Navy? I have some ideas...

Posted by Wajahat on facebook:

NEGOTIATING THE BAN!

ATTENTION SOLDIERS:

We need your help on this one!
We need a message, or an appeal, or a request, whatever you want to call it, from YOU guys, to US, regarding why you think the ban on WE ARE SOLDIERS should be OVERTURNED!
We will process all of your messages forward to the concerned authorities. Rest assured, your messages will go a long way in building a case for W.A.S. and its return to the screens of this country!

So, email us at : dawncurrentaffairs@gmail.com

Over and Out...

why they stoppped we are soldiers on NSSG when they were last episode on NSSG

Why would they ban such an Awesome show? Any sensitive Info aired
?????

i herd wajahat said some thing which some how ment that ssg is better than nssg also in another report another reporter showed evidence of navy officals using naval personal and naval weapons for their own protection ...something like that
plz if im wrong correct me

just got some tips for my new essay regarding pakistans defence and soverinity (spell)...........................
Thank you, ""'Owais.Usmani"" sb

well in last episode wajahat said wait for next episode he was due to show more things hope some one here knows wajahat closely and tell his about our request we need this show to be run again and with few NSSG weapons i think they are not well equiped

Made the thread sticky for easy look up and future reference purposes.

Back
Top Bottom