What's new

Ways of Improving India Sri Lanka Bilateral Relations?

Lankan Ranger

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Ways of Improving India Sri Lanka Bilateral Relations?

What are the different steps that should be taken by both the countries to improve their bilateral relationship?

Please share your thoughts on this regard.

Bilateral relations between Sri Lanka & India controversially affected by Indian intervention in the Sri Lanka.

In the 1970-1980, private entities and elements in the state government of Tamil Nadu were believed to be encouraging the funding and training for the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE), a separatist insurgent force. In 1987, faced with growing anger amongst its own Tamils, and a flood of refugees, India intervened directly in the conflict for the first time.

India supplied food and medicine by air and sea. (Violation of Sri Lanka Air Space & Sri Lanka Navel Zone between 1970-1980)

Further India was to send a peacekeeping force, named the IPKF to Sri Lanka.

Fishermen Issue

There have been several incidents of firing on Indian fishermen fishing in Palk Bay.Indian Government has always taken up the issue of safety of Indian fishermen on a priority basis with the Government of Sri Lanka.

Presently there is no bona fide Indian fisherman in the Sri Lankan custody. A Joint Working Group (JWG) has been constituted to deal with the issues related to Indian fishermen straying in Sri Lankan territorial waters, work out modalities for prevention of use of force against them and the early release of confiscated boats and explore possibilities of working towards bilateral arrangements for licensed fishing.

The JWG last met in Jan 2006.

ok, my suggestion -

Build an underwater railways between Lanka and India.(like between London & France)

This will be built at sufficient depth so it won't block ships traffic route across two countries. Ships can easily pass over the railway-link tube.

Is Lanka ready for it?

Last edited:
i dont see any indians here mate...akelay he ghubaray main hawa bhar raha hai

nevermind one showed up :D

or may be dump china and buy Arjun and LCA from us:D:D:D I mean pre-order it at an attractive price we can color paint jihandist as tamil rebels and u can keep using :D weapons on them! real time testing:lol::lol::lol: with every Arjun 100 color painted Jihadist and 1000 color painted jihadist with every LCA! and u don't need to worry about human right abuses, world already knows abt it!

Last edited:
India_Sri_Lanka_Locator.png

Bilateral relations between Sri Lanka & India controversially affected by Indian intervention in the Sri Lanka.

In the 1970-1980, private entities and elements in the state government of Tamil Nadu were believed to be encouraging the funding and training for the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE), a separatist insurgent force.
In 1987, faced with growing anger amongst its own Tamils, and a flood of refugees, India intervened directly in the conflict for the first time.

India supplied food and medicine by air and sea. (Violation of Sri Lanka Air Space & Sri Lanka Navel Zone between 1970-1980)

Further India was to send a peacekeeping force, named the IPKF to Sri Lanka.

The bolded part - GoI wasn't involved in any support to the terrorists. Maybe a few Tamils in the state of Tamil Nadu covertly supported them.

And India didn't unilaterally impose itself on Sri Lanka by sending in the IPKF. I think it was mutually agreed and UN sanctioned.

Frankly, I dont think there's any need for this thread!

He sounds like an LTTE member angry on India for helping Lankans. LOL.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom