What's new

Vietnam invests almost $1 billion in Russia in Q1 2015

senheiser

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
Vietnam invests almost $1 billion in Russia in Q1 2015
11:06 May 20, 2015 RBTH
Vietnam has already $968 million in Russia in the first four months of this year, the Vietnam News Agency said, citing Vietnamese Ministry of Planning and Investment’s Overseas Investment Agency figures.

So far this year, Vietnam has invested in 18 projects in Russia, according to the report.

These figures do not include the latest agreements signed between Vietnam and Russia. On the sidelines of Vietnamese President Truong Tan Sang’s visit to Moscow for the Victory Day ceremonies, an agreement was signed to set up a Vietnamese industrial cluster in the Moscow Region.

- Vietnam invests almost $1 billion in Russia in Q1 2015 | Russia Beyond The Headlines)

I read more than 100 Vietnamese companies want to invest on this industrial cluster in Moscow.

It is a good development. Russia needs some investment and Vietnam is a close ally. Right move by Vietnam.

I read somewhere Vietnam is joining Russia-led eurasian economic union

And China-led AIIB and RCEP

...And US-led TPP

WTF?!

For a small country,I must say they got some BALLS to play with the big three like this

It is definitely a risk. But I do not see Vietnam to get really too cozy with the US. Probably it tends to view TPP as merely an economic institution. On that, they may not be seeing eye to eye with the US. We will see.

it is all economics. what is your problem?

I guess as long as it remains economics, no problem. But when it becomes geopolitical, countries may take issue with it, including Russia, which cannot be said to be a good friend of the US.

it is all economics. what is your problem?
I wouldn‘t call the TPP just about economics. Signing up TPP will raise the production cost up to 50% in Vietnam,which means losing competitiveness in RCEP and will be more of a supply chain to US/Japan while buying more from China,which Vietnam already runs a trade deficit against.

For Vietnam cozying up with everyone while not choosing sides will end up being VN serve as a conduit between large economic entities. Just like places between earth tectonic plates get earthquakes more often,the problem remains to be seen for Vietnam,usually it is ok when the world economy is all sunny,but expect more drastic changes and definitely a less robust economy as a small country not to highly integrate with either big party

I woundn’t call AIIB all about economics either lol.. but to a much lesser extent. while TPP is much more about regulation and put restrains to governments than a mere trade agreement. International Capital and multi-national corporations will go in and out Vietnam freely,for a small and somewhat fragile economy,that is definitely a problem. After all the Wall street robbed their own people in 2008,guess what they will do to their vietnamese friends in a rainy day:rofl:

I wouldn‘t call the TPP just about economics. Signing up TPP will raise the production cost up to 50% in Vietnam,which means losing competitiveness in RCEP and will be more of a supply chain to US/Japan while buying more from China,which Vietnam already runs a trade deficit against.
where do you get the figure of 50%?
For Vietnam cozying up with everyone while not choosing sides will end up being VN serve as a conduit between large economic entities. Just like places between earth tectonic plates get earthquakes more often,the problem remains to be seen for Vietnam,usually it is ok when the world economy is all sunny,but expect more drastic changes and definitely a less robust economy as a small country not to highly integrate with either big party
why is it a problem to have many FTAs? afterall it is just economics.
if it is a military alliance, then I understand Vietnam must make the choice and picks one.
I woundn’t call AIIB all about economics either lol.. but to a much lesser extent. while TPP is much more about regulation and put restrains to governments than a mere trade agreement. International Capital and multi-national corporations will go in and out Vietnam freely,for a small and somewhat fragile economy,that is definitely a problem. After all the Wall street robbed their own people in 2008,guess what they will do to their vietnamese friends in a rainy day:rofl:
the chance we get a yuan from china controlled AIIB is close to zero. I place more hope on Japan infrastructure bank.

I read somewhere Vietnam is joining Russia-led eurasian economic union

And China-led AIIB and RCEP

...And US-led TPP

WTF?!

For a small country,I must say they got some BALLS to play with the big three like this

This is what you are getting wrong at. Economics today has been deeply delinked with strategy to some extent. Countries will join whatever institution they like if they think it will benefit them.

where do you get the figure of 50%?

why is it a problem to have many FTAs? afterall it is just economics.
if it is a military alliance, then I understand Vietnam must make the choice and picks one.

the chance we get a yuan from china controlled AIIB is close to zero. I place more hope on Japan infrastructure bank.

Viet, I was talking to a very knowledgeable Viet person online about solving the South China issue. I proposed Vietnam joining China camp, and sharing the whole SCS with China, say 70-30. What do you say?

Viet, I was talking to a very knowledgeable Viet person online about solving the South China issue. I proposed Vietnam joining China camp, and sharing the whole SCS with China, say 70-30. What do you say?
Lol do you think Vietnam and China can divide the sea among them at will? what with others Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia and Brunei? But I am curious how do you want to make it happens, 30% of what? where is the division line? I can tell you Vietnam EEZ from the mainland is the red line. so our current possession of islands in the SC Sea.

Lol do you think Vietnam and China can divide the sea among them at will? what with others Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia and Brunei? But I am curious how do you want to make it happens, 30% of what? where is the division line? I can tell you Vietnam EEZ from the mainland is the red line. so our current possession of islands in the SC Sea.

The only problem is Philippines, here by SCS I am talking about the Chinese claimed line.

Indonesia isn't involved there. Brunei isn't even a proper country. Malaysia will have to shut up and listen.

The whole point with getting Vietnam involved is that Vietnam can then be the face or Chinese proxy in SCS. You can help China control SCS, and of course you will control it too then. It will be a strategic marriage.

As for division, lets say that all Chinese islands and Vietnamese islands remain as they are and each recognizes sovereignty over each other. With the islands will come 12nm territorial seas. But EEZ won't come with islands.

So your island issue is solved, and by the way Vietnam will have more than 30% islands controlled between China and Vietnam because Vietnam controls so many more islands than China in spratlys.

Now the whole of SCS outside the 12nm of territorial seas of SCS, will be controlled by special board set up by Vietnam and China. For both political and economic issues. All economic, security issues will be taken jointly, and all the spoils distributed. Some what like a company where China has 70% share, and Vietnam 30%. Hence, you don't need any delimitations nay more.

I would say this is a very good deal for Vietnam.

All 3 major powers Russia,US & China are imp for Vietnam & that's why you don't see her taking up sides
Its like our Non alignment policy

I have read a lot about Chinese and Vietnamese relations, and I must say that Chinese-Vietnamese relations are so much like India-Pakistan relations.

Vietnamese are so much Chinese, in all sorts of ways, but of course you have a different identity. Yet, to keep that identity, you consciously downplay your Chineseness, and emphasize that difference. Most of the problems between China and Vietnam are due to shared history, and I would say even culture.

Can Vietnamese history ever be delinked with Chinese history? Not a chance.

For once lets change this cycle of forced distinctness on Vietnamese part, and more forbearance on Chinese part, and have a strategic arrangement. Don't make Vietnam the battle ground for the future war between China and US or others.

China will learn that many times to play the game you need partners, friends, even family.

The only problem is Philippines, here by SCS I am talking about the Chinese claimed line.

Indonesia isn't involved there. Brunei isn't even a proper country. Malaysia will have to shut up and listen.

The whole point with getting Vietnam involved is that Vietnam can then be the face or Chinese proxy in SCS. You can help China control SCS, and of course you will control it too then. It will be a strategic marriage.

As for division, lets say that all Chinese islands and Vietnamese islands remain as they are and each recognizes sovereignty over each other. With the islands will come 12nm territorial seas. But EEZ won't come with islands.

So your island issue is solved, and by the way Vietnam will have more than 30% islands controlled between China and Vietnam because Vietnam controls so many more islands than China in spratlys.

Now the whole of SCS outside the 12nm of territorial seas of SCS, will be controlled by special board set up by Vietnam and China. For both political and economic issues. All economic, security issues will be taken jointly, and all the spoils distributed. Some what like a company where China has 70% share, and Vietnam 30%. Hence, you don't need any delimitations nay more.

I would say this is a very good deal for Vietnam.
all sound reasonable. but only 50% equal share is acceptable and realistic. why?
  • first, china has islands in both paracels and spratlys. hence she has virtually more controls on both regions.
  • second, we have more islands but china has more land mass on fewer islands. moreover, she can create artificial islands and land mass at will due to her industrial capacity.
  • third, the two regional major powers America and Japan will never accept a deal between VN and CN, that gives China the dominance over the SC Sea. If China controls the sea lanes, she can economically/politically blackmail others.
  • a 50:50 share will guarantee freedom of navigation.
as for Philippines, the actual US defence treaty does not cover the SC Sea and disputed islands. that is a big security issue for the pinoys. as for our dispute with Philippines, we are on a good road to make a deal. in contrast, Chinese approach toward Philippines is very aggressive in my opinion.

Last edited:
all sound reasonable. but only 50% equal share is acceptable and realistic. why?
  • first, china has islands in both paracels and spratlys. hence she has virtually more controls on both regions.
  • second, we have more islands but china has more land mass on fewer islands. moreover, she can create artificial islands and land mass at will due to her industrial capacity.
  • third, the two regional major powers America and Japan will never accept a deal between VN and CN, that gives China the dominance over the SC Sea. If China controls the sea lanes, she can economically/politically blackmail others.
  • a 50:50 share will guarantee freedom of navigation.
as for Philippines, the actual US defence treaty does not cover the SC Sea and disputed islands. that is a big security issue for the pinoys. as for our dispute with Philippines, we are on a good road to make a deal. in contrast, Chinese approach toward Philippines is very aggressive in my opinion.

Com'on man! 70-30 seems to be all right.
Also, Vietnam can take Chinese help then to create her own islands, so 70-30 will be alright.

As for America and Japan, they already don't agree with anything China is doing, yet it is going ahead. For China it will be beneficial, because Vietnamese are far superior than Philippines in any military theatre. And China will already have a regional ally. Also, this needs to be done slowly.

Com'on man! 70-30 seems to be all right.
Also, Vietnam can take Chinese help then to create her own islands, so 70-30 will be alright.

As for America and Japan, they already don't agree with anything China is doing, yet it is going ahead. For China it will be beneficial, because Vietnamese are far superior than Philippines in any military theatre. And China will already have a regional ally. Also, this needs to be done slowly.
If I may just ask. Do you also support relinquishing our rightful claim on Aksai Chin and Arunachal as well as making the IB 20-30 NM inside of the Macmohan Line as the Chinese want?

Back
Top Bottom