What's new

US Warns Of Divisive Diplomacy In South China Sea

Reaction score
Country
Viet Nam
US Warns Of Divisive Diplomacy In South China Sea
by THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
WASHINGTON August 14, 2012, 04:14 pm ET

WASHINGTON (AP) — China should not use bilateral talks to attempt to "divide and conquer" nations with competing territorial claims in the South China Sea, the United States said Tuesday.

State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland's comments follow a visit by Chinese Foreign Minister Yang Jiechi to two of those states, Malaysia and Brunei.

Nuland would not say whether the U.S. suspects Beijing's intentions in those talks. A meeting last month of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations, or ASEAN, ended in acrimony over the South China Sea, as host Cambodia, a close China ally, refused to sign off on language sought by the Philippines and Vietnam mentioning their individual disputes with China.

"What we're most concerned about at the moment is that tensions are going up among the stakeholders so we want to see a commitment to a deal that meets the needs of all," Nuland told a news conference in Washington.

The U.S. and China are increasingly at odds on the issue. Earlier this month, the U.S. criticized China's establishment of a municipality and military garrison on a remote island in the South China Sea as risking an escalation in tensions.

China has pushed back, and on Monday, state-run news agency Xinhua published a commentary criticizing Western nations of "betting on a divided Asia" because of the region's economic vitality while their own economies are waning.

Nuland said the U.S. is urging ASEAN and China to work on a code of conduct for the South China Sea, which has some of the world's busiest sea lanes and are believed to have vast energy deposits.

She said bilateral diplomacy supporting a multilateral deal is fine, "but an effort to divide and conquer and end up with a competitive situation among the different claimants is not going to get where we need to go."

China has long said it wants to handle disputes over its claims bilaterally, rather than in multilaterally, although during a stop in Indonesia before visiting Malaysia and Brunei, foreign minister Yang said China was also willing "on the basis of consensus" to work toward the eventual adoption of a code of conduct.

The U.S. says it does not take a position on the competing territorial claims in the South China Sea, but as a Pacific power has a national interest in the maintenance of peace and security therre.

US Warns Of Divisive Diplomacy In South China Sea : NPR

"China should not use bilateral talks to attempt to "divide and conquer" nations with competing territorial claims in the South China Sea" State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland's comments.

LOL I wonder where China learns this ingenuous strategy from, certainly not from 'The Art Of Wars'.

"China should not use bilateral talks to attempt to "divide and conquer" nations with competing territorial claims in the South China Sea" State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland's comments.

LOL I wonder where China learns this ingenuous strategy from, certainly not from 'The Art Of Wars'.

This is not a "ingenuous strategy", it is an wicked strategy of China. It wants to use its economic-military power to pressure each separate ASEAN country over disputed territory.
How a multilateral dispute area can be resolved through bilateral negotiations ???

The incident recently in Phnom Penh no surprise if we know this strategy of China.

As always,U.S is putting its nose in regional affairs of countries.If only someone could stand to them and tell them right in the face that:'It's none of your damn business'.

Viet like post news from American!! For what? warn china with it?
Sorry, this is fart in Chinese mind, maybe for all viet it is sweet fart, hehe!
Don't post such kind of news, it can't prove anything except viet is nothing!

This is not a "ingenuous strategy", it is an wicked strategy of China. It wants to use its economic-military power to pressure each separate ASEAN country over disputed territory.
How a multilateral dispute area can be resolved through bilateral negotiations ???

The incident recently in Phnom Penh no surprise if we know this strategy of China.

Again, for the n-th time, you are guilty of misinterpret my quote, perhaps next time you should read more carefully and for multiple times, like others do, before you 'shoot' from the mouth. Just my humble two cents.:smokin:

As always,U.S is putting its nose in regional affairs of countries.If only someone could stand to them and tell them right in the face that:'It's none of your damn business'.
SCS(east sea) is International water, everyone including your country and US have the right of free navigation there. It's china's fault (not U.S)to robe this right of of the whole world.

You don't like U.S , but you must respect the right of all nation(including US) in International water.

SCS(east sea) is International water, everyone including your country and US have the right of free navigation there. It's china's fault (not U.S)to robe this right of of the whole world.

You don't like U.S , but you must respect the right of all nation(including US) in International water.

LOL You Viets always like to twixt the facts and spin them to your favor. When did China ever denies the freedom of navigation in SCS? Don't make a fool of yourself, please.

LOL You Viets always like to twixt the facts and spin them to your favor. When did China ever denies the freedom of navigation in SCS? Don't make a fool of yourself, please.
Hey, 50cent warrior, if you know,then speak out, otherwise lean against a pillar and listen. Do you know the USNS impeccable and Indian warship incident ?? if you don't, then Google it.:coffee:
Pentagon: Chinese Ships Harassed Unarmed Navy Craft in International Waters

Read more: Pentagon: Chinese Ships Harassed Unarmed Navy Craft in International Waters | Fox News

Viet like post news from American!! For what? warn china with it?
Sorry, this is fart in Chinese mind, maybe for all viet it is sweet fart, hehe!
Don't post such kind of news, it can't prove anything except viet is nothing!

Be sympathetic to viet trolls here please, when your country as useless as vietnam this is the only thing you can do

Hey, 50cent warrior, if you know,then speak out, otherwise lean against a pillar and listen. Do you know the USNS impeccable and Indian warship incident ?? if you don't, then Google it.:coffee:

LOL 50 cent warrior, you must be kidding me. You think I live in Vietnam? With the cost of living so high in Singapore no one on the street would bother to pick up a 50 cent coin.

BTW, What your post has to do with my post? Changing the topic again?

LOL 50 cent warrior, you must be kidding me. You think I live in Vietnam? With the cost of living so high in Singapore no one on the street would bother to pick up a 50 cent coin.

BTW, What your post has to do with my post? Changing the topic again?

hahaha, you are missing the point.

Back
Top Bottom