What's new

US vigorously support democracy in Pakistan – Ambassador Hale

Laozi

Reaction score
Country
India

l_138343_121506_updates.jpg

ISLAMABAD: US Ambassador in Pakistan, David Hale, has said United States fully supports democracy in Pakistan and that stability in the South Asian Muslim-majority nation is closely linked to democracy in the country.

Speaking to Geo News in an interview with Capital Talk host Hamid Mir, the ambassador said that the extension in tenure of Chief of Army Staff General Raheel Sharif is Pakistan's internal matter.

"We vigorously support Pakistan's flourishing democracy," he said during the interview.

"I'm a newcomer to Pakistan. As I said earlier, my background is in the Middle East. I'm learning every day and I'm watching. And I'm very impressed by how lively, frankly, politics are in this country."

The US ambassador said he believed general elections in Pakistan would take place in 2018, as scheduled.

"We've seen a peaceful transition from one elected government to another elected government. There is no reason to not expect there to be elections coming up in 2018. We support that," he said.

"I can't speak to the past but I can tell you today that we do believe in Pakistan's democracy and we do believe that it is the soundest basis for stability and prosperity," he added.

The US ambassador further added that the US does not support "those people who want to derail democracy in Pakistan".

The US ambassador, however, avoided any comment on a reported statement by US Senator John McCain during his recent visit to Pakistan that he wants to see General Raheel Sharif to continue as the chief of the army staff.

"I was out of the country when Senator McCain was here. I can speak for the [US] administration.

"These kinds of questions are for Pakistan and Pakistanis, and these are not issues that we [the US] would ever take a position on," he said when asked if Senator McCain had discussed the extension of the military chief.

https://www.thenews.com.pk/latest/138343-US-vigorously-support-democracy-Pakistan-Ambassador-Hale

l_138343_121506_updates.jpg

ISLAMABAD: US Ambassador in Pakistan, David Hale, has said United States fully supports democracy in Pakistan and that stability in the South Asian Muslim-majority nation is closely linked to democracy in the country.

Speaking to Geo News in an interview with Capital Talk host Hamid Mir, the ambassador said that the extension in tenure of Chief of Army Staff General Raheel Sharif is Pakistan's internal matter.

"We vigorously support Pakistan's flourishing democracy," he said during the interview.

"I'm a newcomer to Pakistan. As I said earlier, my background is in the Middle East. I'm learning every day and I'm watching. And I'm very impressed by how lively, frankly, politics are in this country."

The US ambassador said he believed general elections in Pakistan would take place in 2018, as scheduled.

"We've seen a peaceful transition from one elected government to another elected government. There is no reason to not expect there to be elections coming up in 2018. We support that," he said.

"I can't speak to the past but I can tell you today that we do believe in Pakistan's democracy and we do believe that it is the soundest basis for stability and prosperity," he added.

The US ambassador further added that the US does not support "those people who want to derail democracy in Pakistan".

The US ambassador, however, avoided any comment on a reported statement by US Senator John McCain during his recent visit to Pakistan that he wants to see General Raheel Sharif to continue as the chief of the army staff.

"I was out of the country when Senator McCain was here. I can speak for the [US] administration.

"These kinds of questions are for Pakistan and Pakistanis, and these are not issues that we [the US] would ever take a position on," he said when asked if Senator McCain had discussed the extension of the military chief.

https://www.thenews.com.pk/latest/138343-US-vigorously-support-democracy-Pakistan-Ambassador-Hale
As a citizen of Pakistan.
I want a strong leadership, wherever it may be from, a leadership that leaves no stone unturned in providing a better present and future for us. It does not matter if it's a dictator or a PM, the need of the hour is a leader with a backbone.

Just like Raheel extension is the internal matter of Pakistan, whatever system we chose or give our collective consent to be ruled under, is our own prerogative. American or any other power should mind its own business.

These remarks are coming at the time when Turkish events are still unfolding. Of all people, Americans should be very careful in opening their gobs and choose their words very carefully.

Just like Raheel extension is the internal matter of Pakistan, whatever system we chose or give our collective consent to be ruled under, is our own prerogative. American or any other power should mind its own business.
This system is called democracy

And Nawaz Sharif has been elected under this system only.

Why crib ?

I guess that the vigorous part is problematic. :)

This system is called democracy

And Nawaz Sharif has been elected under this system only.

Why crib ?

Thats what you think. The Khalafa system is not based on western style democracy , yet under that system Muslims ruled the world affairs.

So the arsehole Hamid Mir asked the US ambassador to comment on COAS's extension? What's PEMRA doing?

USA will vigorously support Martial Law once it is imposed.

LOL The Americans have supported dictators in Pakistan and are today singing songs of democracy.

Just let the Pakistanis figure out what is good for them. We don't require American dictation about good or bad. I'll take a good, patriotic and honest dictator over a corrupt and inept civilian leader any day.

You know things are bad and desperate when people start using the words such as vigorous.

Who the **** is he? Now while any politician of some other country with an ounce of self respect would tell him to shutup and mind your own business but here NS will be jumping with joy that he has US backing. Pathetic.

And we should do something with him so vigorously that he can't show his ugly face to the world again. He must not be allowed to bark inside Pakistan and more importantly about the internal affair of Pakistan.

The News is givt,s media cell ignore senator Mccain gave us the real version of US they dont care about the govt they only care about how the govt is to them'

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom