What's new

US to incentivise Pakistan’s cooperation, says Mattis

Dawood Ibrahim

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
WASHINGTON: US defence secretary-designate James Mattis has said that the Trump administration would offer incentives to Pakistan to cooperate with the United States on critical issues.

At his confirmation hearing at the Senate Armed Forces Committee on Thursday afternoon, Mr Mattis underlined the need to stay engaged with Pakistan while asking it to do more to eradicate terrorism from the region.

5879453eec527.jpg

US defence secretary-designate James Mattis

“If confirmed, I will work with the State Department and the Congress to incentivise Pakistan’s cooperation on issues critical to our national interests and the region’s security, with focus on Pakistan’s need to expel or neutralise externally-focused militant groups that operate within its borders,” Mr Mattis told the committee while responding to a question.

Mr Mattis, a general who retired from the US Marine Corps in 2013, has long experience of dealing with both Afghanistan and Pakistan, first as a combat officer and then as commander of the US Central Command.

See: Trump pick for defence secy Gen James Mattis ─ a 'Mad Dog' with a big library

He was known in the armed forces as “Mad Dog Mattis” for his aggressive style but was widely respected as a courageous officer.

The general’s comments on Pakistan indicate that the incoming Trump administration will continue with the existing US policy towards the country.

Mr Mattis complemented Pakistan for its action against terror groups in the country, but said that he would push for more effective targeting of groups that were aimed at neighbouring countries.

As often expressed by the Obama administration officials, the incoming defence secretary also complained that some Afghan Taliban groups were still allegedly using Pakistan’s tribal areas for stirring troubles in Afghanistan.

“Sanctuaries and freedom of movement for the Afghan Taliban and associated militant networks inside Pakistani territory is a key operational issue faced by the Afghan security forces,” he pointed out.

Mr Mattis said that if confirmed, he would “examine efforts to deny sanctuary to the extremist forces” undermining the stability and security of Afghanistan.

He noted that the US and Pakistani militaries had a long relationship, which needed to be rebuilt.

“Our relationship with Pakistan, including our military-to-military relationship, has had highs and lows. We have long faced a lack of trust within the Pakistani military and government about our goals in the region. If confirmed, I will work to build the trust that we need for an effective partnership,” he told the Senate Committee. The United States has conducted military exercises with Pakistan in an effort to increase thrust and interoperability, he added.

Mr Mattis said that Pakistan had “learned some hard lessons” from its dealings with the Taliban, as this caused widespread violence inside the country as well. “I believe they should do more to collaborate with their neighbour. We should urge Pakistan to take further actions against the Taliban and the Haqqani network,” he added.

Arguing that countries in the region “have the responsibility to support the reconciliation process” in Afghanistan, Mr Mattis said that the neighbouring states “should increase pressure on the Afghan Taliban and associated militant networks” to stop their campaigns of violence.

He praised Pakistan’s efforts to battle “internally-focused” militants. “In a sign of its commitment, its military has suffered significant casualties in this counterinsurgency effort,” he said, and offered to help Pakistan in defeating these militants.

Mr Mattis said he would not use phrases such as “rebalance” or “pivot” while talking about its relations with China as these implied that it was turning away from its commitments elsewhere.

“But China’s behaviour has led countries in the region to look for stronger US leadership. “If confirmed, I will examine ways to strengthen our allies and partners, while taking a careful look at our own military capabilities in the region,” he said.

Mr Mattis pledged to continue with the Obama administration’s policy of enhancing a long-term strategic relationship with India, based on the convergence of mutual interests and shared democratic values.

Published in Dawn January 14th, 2017

Well we have gone past F-16s but you never ...
I will express myself through this line from an Urdu ghazal (Poetry) by Faiz Ahmad Faiz since this best describes my feeling

مجھ سے پہلی سی محبت میرے محبوب نہ مانگ

Last edited:
Cool,maybe some new AWACS and transport planes

America wants to avoid another surge. Ergo, "Pakistan should do more".

Here I disagree with Gen. Mattis. Why should Pakistan spill the sacred blood of its patriotic soldiers for an ungrateful Afghanistan when even America won't do it? Get real. This is an Afghan problem, not a Pakistani one.

Pakistan will not create new enemies for itself in the region.

Lastly, the fact that Gen. Mattis is pushing for a "regional" (Indian? or Pakistani?) support implies Afghanistan is back to being a regional headache than an international one.

Last edited:
:stop::stop:Stop there for a sec and make it very clear the F16 policy with Pakistan has come to an end. obama made sure of it and he done Pakistan a ginormous favor. Now new alliances are forged and I can say they will be far better than the ones we had with you.

Pakistan should not fall to their bait, we should focus on our interests and keep developing relations with Russia and other countries (economically & militarily). They only want to get their interest full filed and put India on top of Pakistan.

:stop::stop:Stop there for a sec and make it very clear the F16 policy with Pakistan has come to an end. obama made sure of it and he done Pakistan a ginormous favor. Now new alliances are forged and I can say they will be far better than the ones we had with you.
tell this to the armed forces too. bohat jaldi pappiyan tay japhian kartay hain in kay jarnalon ko on visits & such . Seriously, learn a lesson already.

you are right but realistically speaking PAF has no good option other then F-16. it is the only air craft that is reliable , potent and affordable . JF 17 is good but doesn't match the F-16. russian and chinese jets are good on paper. they demand high maintenance and have low availability ( su 30 mki has availability around 55 %) and high crash rates. russian air craft carrier lost 2 migs in just one month of operations. european jets like rafale and eurofighter are simply way to expensive for countries like pakistan. we should just forget fifth gen jets at the moment atleast for next five yrs. so currently F-16 is not an option it is a majbori.

The US should concentrate on improving relations with India.

Pakistan is now beyond US reach. We are in different camps. The phase for offering lollipops to Pakistan has long long gone.

Exactly, no amount of "incentives" will make up for our economic losses which now stand at $118 billion.

Source: ‘War on terror’ has cost Pakistan $118bn: SBP (Dawn, Nov 2016)

We will make it hurt by putting chinese nuclear submarine base at gwadar

Why is there a feeling in Pakistan that allowing foreigners (even friendly ones) to set up military bases is something to be proud of. Is that not an acknowledgement of military insecurity?

Why is there a feeling in Pakistan that allowing foreigners (even friendly ones) to set up military bases is something to be proud of. Is that not an acknowledgement of military insecurity?

Why are you feeling so insecure when we and our allies cooperate to tackle our common threats? Doesn't this reveal something about your insecurity, Indian?

Back
Top Bottom