What's new

US to engage India, Pakistan to sort out water disputes

Marxist

Reaction score
Country
India
WASHINGTON: The US has said it would work with India and Pakistan to help the two countries overcome their differences on water issues which are a "potential for conflict".

"We want to help countries avoid conflict over water. The potential for conflict over it exists not only in Pakistan and in India, but in other places as well," said Maria Otero, the US undersecretary of state for democracy and global affairs.

He said the US would take up the issue of water-sharing in its dialogue with the two South Asian neighbours so as to prevent any tension in the region.

The subject is going to be one of the six pillars of the high level US-Pak strategic dialogue that is scheduled to be held tomorrow in Washington.

"The issue is the recognition of water as a potential source of conflict in our elevated effort to address it with greater priority than we have in the past," she said in her interaction with the State Department Press Corps on the occasion of World Water Day.

"Whether it (the US) will become the mediator in any particular conflict is not something that we're prepared to say right now," she said.

Otero added: "I think we need to work on this and find ways to make sure that, especially in the Pakistan-Indian case, we can help move that situation forward to an improved situation".

India and Pakistan are engaged in a tussle over sharing of waters of common rivers with Islamabad accusing New Delhi of choking its water supplies by building dams on Indus river.

http://www.dnaindia.com/world/report_us-to-engage-india-pakistan-to-sort-out-water-disputes_1362487

this issue is easylt avoidable if both parties follows the treaty regarding the river i wonder which side is breaking it:whistle:

this issue is easylt avoidable if both parties follows the treaty regarding the river i wonder which side is breaking it:whistle:

nobody is breaking any treaties here but some are claiming one party is breaking the rule,you can see 100;s of water realated thread in this forum.going through it will help you to understand the situation

India is bound by International Water Treaty and cannot break or violate unilaterally so we have International court of Justice and better platforms to drag India and get justice. No one needs America to come and do their usual mother fcuking with this matter.

Are they big boss or what. to hell with them. as if they will say Pakistan will accept their decision or India will accept..........

not to be a downer but we've seen how good of a job U.S. did with Israel-Palestine peace talks.

To be completely honest, i dont even think this news is real. i dont trust any Indian sources.

Back
Top Bottom