What's new

US military news, discussions and history

Thanks for the link, I've joined:cheers:

@Nihonjin1051 I know you're getting a bit miffed with some of the discussions here, especially in the China & Far East section, so come join us at AMF!

I'm already a member, we could use another quality person.

*Follow the link in Osmanovic's post, since this account can't post links yet due to a low post count.

**Probably should add this too. I'm AMF's Sven, AMF's Technofox is @Transhumanist / @Technogaianist

Since AMF names are less than 12 characters, both my SvenSvensonov and her names wouldn't fit.

***LeveragedBuyout, AMDR, Myself, Technogaianist and F-22Raptor are all members, we could use you too @Nihonjin1051

I really appreciate your contributions to this thread. If I still had my account credentials, (my primary account SvenSvensonov) I'd give you a positive rating. You deserve one.

Please keep up the good work!

@AMDR I see you in the "users viewing this thread" bar, does my explanation make things easier:lol:. I hope so. People here already confuse Maddy and I, I don't want AMF to do the same.

Im signing up now. See you all there, buds!

@AMDR @jhungary @LeveragedBuyout @Hamartia Antidote @Transhumanist @SvenSvensonov
Found this new forum when browsing twitter

American Military Forum

Thanks!!!!!

The Navy Finally Says Goodbye To The Tubby Little T-2 Buckeye Jet Trainer

1446941782537163842.jpg

It has served the Navy for 56 years, the vast majority of those years working as the service’s intermediate jet trainer. Thousands of Naval Aviators and Naval Flight Officers were introduced to jet operations in the T-2 over the years, with many pilots making their first carrier landings in the jet. Now, with just a few remaining in service at Naval Station Patuxent River, the T-2 Buckeye is finally leaving the inventory once and for all.

The T-2 Buckeye has never been considered a beautiul airplane. North American didn’t design it to be the sleekest thing in the sky. Instead they made it simple, reliable, and extremely tough so that it could take merciless beatings as students figured out their way around an aircraft carrier in a jet. It’s name was fairly straight forward, as all the T-2 Buckeyes, some 529 in total, were constructed at Air Force Plant 85 near Columbus, Ohio.

1446941782624887874.jpg

The jet came in three primary configurations over the years, with the T-2A having just one Westinghouse J34 engine. The B model introduced the two engine design, but it would not be until the C model, with its non-afterburning J85 engines (similar to those used in the Air Force’s T-38 Talon), was introduced in the late 1960s that the ultimate T-2 configuration would be established.

Not only did North American design the Buckeye to be tough, but they also designed it to be extremely stable and forgiving. This garnered the straight-winged T-2 a special place when it came to advanced spin training. Even today, the Air Force’s Test Pilot School at Edwards Air Force Base contracts one of the few Buckeyes in private hands for this use from time-to-time.

The T-2’s cockpit was designed to closely mirror that of the T-28 Trojan, also a North American product, which was the Navy’s primary trainer up until the mid 1980s. The aircraft are actually quite similar in their design philosophy, which is not a surprise considering their pedigree and mission.

For the last 2o years of its career, the T-2 served alongside the T-34C Turbo Mentor and the TA-4J Skyhawk, and later the T-45 Goshawk, when it came to training Naval Aviators and Naval Flight Officers that found themselves in the strike fighter training pipeline.

1446941782689139266.jpg

By the 2000s the Navy was well on its way to paring down the types of aircraft in their trainer fleet and replacing old aircraft with newer ones that would better represent what they would fly in the fleet. The T-6 Texan II JPATS and the T-45 Goshawk alone would train future Navy jet crews. By 2008 this vision was finally fulfilled, with the last T-2C Buckeye training flight occurring that year.

A small handful of Buckeyes soldiered on for test duties, including executing chase flights and supporting weapons trials. Seven years after its retirement from training students, the Navy is now finally saying goodbye once and for all to the Buckeye.

September 25, 2015 will mark its final operational flight with the Navy. VX-20, which has operated a trio of Buckeyes in recent years, will fly the last sortie, with the Buckeyes being replaced by C-38 Courier business jets.

1446941782715827266.jpg

The Buckeye was exported to just two customers, Venezuela and Greece. Venezuela no longer flies the type but Greece still does, with about three dozen of the jets in service. The vast majority of those were T-2Es that were purpose-built for Greece, while there are also about a half dozen ex-Navy T-2Cs augmenting the T-2E fleet. Yet even Greece’s Buckeye days are numbered as the Hellenic Air Force is prioritizing the procurement of a new jet trainer to replace it, budget permitting.

1446941783108215618.jpg

It is always sad to see old aircraft finally leave the sky once and for all, especially one that built so many pilots carrier flying abilities, but the Buckeye and its screeching turbojet engines had a good long run.

Still, if there were ever a tubby little jet that would be missed, this is it.

1446941783176788802.jpg

US Special Forces

Ranger
View attachment 143344

FAC
View attachment 143345

SEAL Team 2
View attachment 143346

4th Military Information Support Group
View attachment 143347

Special Operations Weather Technician
View attachment 143348

10th special warfare group
View attachment 143349

Pararescue
View attachment 143350

Combat Control and US pararescue
View attachment 143351

SDVT 1
View attachment 143352

Special Warface Combatant Craft Crewmen
View attachment 143353
Awesome imagery

Raytheon Unveils New Mini Missile for Special Forces, Infantry | Defense Tech

pike_riler_lead_pic-600x400-490x327.jpg

Raytheon Co., the world’s largest missile maker, unveiled a new miniature laser-guided missile for Special Forces and infantry troops.

The Waltham, Massachusetts-based company displayed a model of the so-called Pike precision-guided munition on Monday at the Association of the United States Army’s annual conference in Washington, D.C.

“What’s enabled this is the miniaturization of electronics,” James R. “J.R.” Smith, director of advanced land warfare systems at Raytheon’s missile systems unit in Tucson, Arizona, said during an interview with Military.com.

Measuring just 17 inches long and 1.5 inches wide and weighing just 1.7 pounds, the projectile has a range of about 2 kilometers and is designed to be fired from existing rocket-propelled grenade launchers, such as the M203 and ELGM, Smith said.

While the munition will cost more than a unguided rocket-propelled grenade, it would be orders of magnitude cheaper than the FGM-148 Javelin anti-tank missile some troops now carry, he said.
“A lot of what our Special Forces teams are dealing with when they’re engaging someone at range right now … they’re sitting there and they’re using a .50-caliber machine gun or firing rocket-propelled grenades, they’re not hitting the target and they’re being out shot by a lot of these bad guys,” Smith said. “So how do they deal with that now?

“They pull out a Javelin, which is a pretty expensive weapon,” he said. “Whereas you could take one of these. I guarantee you this will be a tiny fraction of the cost of a Javelin.” The Javelin is made by Raytheon and Lockheed Martin Corp. And while the Pike will have less stopping power than the Javelin, it will feature a blast-fragmentation warhead sufficient for taking out two people behind a wall, he added.

Smith wouldn’t say how much internal research and development funding the company spent on the project, but he said the effort has been underway for about three years. In May, Raytheon successfully tested two Pike munitions with dummy warheads at a private range in Texas, he said. The technology is compatible with any kind of properly coded laser designator, he said.

“It sees the reflection of laser energy off the target,” he said. “It’s looking for that laser energy. As it hits its apogee and it starts coming downhill, it will see its laser spot … You don’t even have to start by lasing. You can launch it, just as long as you get the laser on it before it hits its apogee and starts coming down. For a long shot like that, you could probably lase 15 seconds after launch.”

An M203 launcher beneath an M4 rifle would need to be modified to accept the round, Smith said. “The ones that are underneath the M4 carbines now, they can’t swing out far enough to slide it in,” he said. “It only sticks out so far. So they would have to modify that.”

Raytheon officials are talking to Army personnel about helping to fund additional testing of the design to include live-fire exercises, Smith said.

Read more: Raytheon Unveils New Mini Missile for Special Forces, Infantry | Defense Tech
Defense.org

How the US Marines would invade a beach today

1473835810561563432.gif

This intense footage shows an amphibious landing exercise performed by the US Marines and South Korea’s Marines at Dogue Beach in Pohang, South Korea. You see the ships swarming from the sea. You see hovercrafts landing on the beach. You see explosions. You’re basically seeing how the US Marines would invade a beach today.

12105828_790073644434352_1646359005491140679_n.jpg
A Boeing 314 Clipper flying over San Francisco, 1940.
12144902_789982671110116_1570415029367401807_n.jpg
Dornier Do X in New York, 1931.

The aircraft carrier-based aircraft naval forces of the USA during the flight; ~ 1980
F-14 Tomcat,F-18 Hornet,A-6 Intruder, S-3 Viking, AWACS aircraft E-2 Hawkeye,electronic warfare EA-6B Prowler
0_14b706_12cc8c29_XL.jpg

Since i introduced myself to the French and British brothers now its my turn to introduce to American bros
F-16 Fleet formation
USAF.jpg

Soldier Guarding A-10
USAF 1.jpg

F-15 and F-22 flying together
F22.jpg

How the US Marines would invade a beach today

1473835810561563432.gif

This intense footage shows an amphibious landing exercise performed by the US Marines and South Korea’s Marines at Dogue Beach in Pohang, South Korea. You see the ships swarming from the sea. You see hovercrafts landing on the beach. You see explosions. You’re basically seeing how the US Marines would invade a beach today.

Try doing that in Croatia... Get blasted.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom