What's new

US lawmaker slams China-Pakistan N-deal

EagleEyes

ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
US lawmaker slams China-Pakistan N-deal

A critic of the Indo-US nuclear deal has raised objections over China helping Pakistan in building two new atomic reactors, saying that the agreement flouts the norms established by the NSG and would further "destabilise" South Asia.

"The Peoples' Republic of China has had a long history of nuclear cooperation with Pakistan. This history made China and Pakistan likely candidates for future nuclear cooperation in violation of NSG guidelines, which was always a concern for those of us who opposed Indo-US nuclear deal," Massachussetts Democratic Congressman Edward Markey said in his October 23 letter to the Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice.

Markey said, "Unfortunately, our concerns appear to be borne out in the events that are unfolding right now, which must be considered a direct consequence of the US-India nuclear deal."

"I strongly opposed the US-India nuclear cooperation deal on the grounds that it would gravely damage the vitally important nonproliferation regime. A key concern raised by this agreement was that waiving the international rules for India would set a precedent for other nations to flout international nuclear nonproliferation export controls for their allies or trading partners," he said.

China has built one nuclear reactor 'Chashma I' in Pakistan and is currently nearing completion of 'Chashma II'. The contracts for these reactors existed before China received membership in the NSG in 2004 and because of this China was allowed to complete work on them.
NDTV.com: US lawmaker slams China-Pakistan N-deal

Markey said, "Unfortunately, our concerns appear to be borne out in the events that are unfolding right now, which must be considered a direct consequence of the US-India nuclear deal."

even though Markey seems a level-headed guy, what is it that they say:

so u shall sow; so shall you reap;

What else could they do other then running their mouths. Or did they expected that Pakistan will not follow suit.
Isnt it obvious that Pakistan too is energy deficient and we need all the support that we can get to over come it so whats the huge uproar for.

even though Markey seems a level-headed guy, what is it that they say:

so u shall sow; so shall you reap;

No biggie. Russia was planning on building 2 plants in india way back in 1988(kundankulam). The chasma was the chinese answer to the russian plants. This is proliferation on part of both pak and india with china and russia resply. Not related to the indo-US deal.

The lawmaker is only giving it as an excuse to blame it on the indo-US deal.

A hater!! thats all we will do wat we have to dont mind no attention to this silly fool getting high!!!!!!! hahah lol.

And i quite frankly think nuclear power plants arent worth the investment as they bring nothing but polution for a very very long time.

The 58m euro (£40m) plant near Serpa, 200km (125 miles) south of Lisbon, will produce enough electricity for 8,000 homes when it starts next January.

Zero pollution no shortage of sunshine in our country and best of all no Danger to population.I don't no exactly how much a nuclear power plant will cost to build protect and run but i am pretty sure it will be lot more then Solar power plants.
And best part is in case of accident no body glows in the dark with solar that is.:cheesy:
This is where Pakistan can change her course and move towards cheaper alternatives and invest her money on some thing useful for long term+getting in on this industry when its just an infant will benefit us in the long run.:enjoy:

No biggie. Russia was planning on building 2 plants in india way back in 1988(kundankulam). The chasma was the chinese answer to the russian plants. This is proliferation on part of both pak and india with china and russia resply. Not related to the indo-US deal.

The lawmaker is only giving it as an excuse to blame it on the indo-US deal.

I thought India had an impeccable proliferation record. :angel:

Well Neo, that would be an example of non-Indians saying "me too".

Ehhm...not exactly and certainly not saying "me too"!

He said: "A key concern raised by this agreement was that waiving the international rules for India would set a precedent for other nations to flout international nuclear nonproliferation export controls for their allies or trading partners," he said.

This is not Pakistan specific but applies to other countries aswell.
Its an action-reaction thing, US set a precedence so others will follow. :coffee:

Well Neo, that would be an example of non-Indians saying "me too".

Drop it already. The legislator said no such thing, rather pointed to a cause and effect concern from a proliferation perspective, which was an incorrect argument to begin with

Ya'll have been beaten dead with counter arguments on the 'me too' thing, and at this point raising it again is really no better than flaming and hijacking the thread. Seriously, get over that hate and prejudice ya''ll have been brainwashed with in India.

By Khalid Hasan

WASHINGTON: Congressman Edward Markey has said that China’s announcement that it will supply two nuclear reactors to Pakistan “flouts the international trade rules established by the Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG)” and damages the international non-proliferation regime.

In a letter to US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice this week, Markey warns that the Chinese decision will further destabilise South Asia. Markey was a staunch opponent of the US-India nuclear cooperation agreement but did not find enough support in Congress to block the bill, which has since been signed into law by President Bush. He maintains that the Pakistan deal with China is a direct consequence of the one Washington signed with New Delhi.

Markey has asked Rice if confirmation has been sought from China or Pakistan, or both, as to whether they have agreed on the provision of any additional nuclear reactors other than Chashma I and II.

He also wants to know if the US has told Pakistan and China that provision of a nuclear reactor other than Chashma I and II would violate NSG guidelines. The lawmaker also asks if the US would force China to abandon the deal with Pakistan, once it confirms that the latest Chinese offer to Pakistan violates NSG guidelines. He also wishes to know if the US is going to raise this issue at the next NSG meeting in November this year. Markey would also like the US to block IMF assistance to Pakistan so that Islamabad does not use the money to pay China for the construction of nuclear reactors in violation of NSG rules. :crazy:

Drop it already. The legislator said no such thing, rather pointed to a cause and effect concern from a proliferation perspective, which was an incorrect argument to begin with

Ya'll have been beaten dead with counter arguments on the 'me too' thing, and at this point raising it again is really no better than flaming and hijacking the thread. Seriously, get over that hate and prejudice ya''ll have been brainwashed with in India.

Wow...I seem to have touched a raw nerve.

I'm out!

Wow...I seem to have touched a raw nerve.

I'm out!

Sorry, but Neo and I just went through this with doobie and GP on another thread, and we have gone through this on like 3 or 4 other threads before that - it gets annoying after a while.

Its time to move onto more substantive discussions instead of this needling.

And i quite frankly think nuclear power plants arent worth the investment as they bring nothing but polution for a very very long time.

No. Nuclear plants are the cleanest source of power. There is no pollution.

It is only the spent fuel that needs to be taken care off. Other than that, it is clean.

I thought India had an impeccable proliferation record. :angel:

Its not about claiming to be a proliferator. Its about "getting caught."

Pak got caught. India did not.

Anyways, pak was proliferating designs which were directly related to weapons research (like bomb design, enrichment designs and parts etc) while india proliferated reactor designs to iran. Different "levels" of proliferation.

Back
Top Bottom