What's new

US Freez Pakistani aid

Tehmasib

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
1101414393-1.jpg

1101414393-2.gif

HONOLULU: President Barack Obama signed a sweeping US defense funding bill on Saturday which includes new sanctions on financial institutions dealing with Iran’s central bank, and curtailing up to $850 million in aid to Pakistan. The bill was signed despite concerns about sections that expand the US military’s authority over terrorism suspects and limit his powers in foreign affairs.

The massive defense bill Congress passed on earlier in December freezes 60 per cent of the $850 million aid, or $510 million, until the US defense secretary provides lawmakers with assurances that Pakistan is working to counter improvised explosive devices (IEDs). US lawmakers say that many Afghan bombs that kill US troops are made with fertiliser smuggled by militants across the border from Pakistan into Afghanistan.

“The fact that I support this bill as a whole does not mean I agree with everything in it,” Obama said in a statement, citing limits on transferring detainees from the US base at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and requirements he notify Congress before sharing some defense missile information with Russia as problematic.

The bill, approved by Congress last week after its language was revised, aims with its Iran sanctions to reduce Tehran’s oil revenues but gives the US president powers to waive penalties as required. Senior US officials said Washington was engaging with its foreign partners to ensure the sanctions can work without harming global energy markets, and stressed the US strategy for engaging with Iran was unchanged by the bill.

The bill may also prove problematic for Pakistan in ways other than providing assurances of concrete steps to counter the manufacture of IEDs. The sanctions placed on dealing with Iran’s central banks may weigh on Pakistan’s plans for the Iran-Pakistan pipeline which aims to provide gas to Pakistan.

Pakistan needs the gas supplies from Iran to augment its own gas reserves which have been shrinking fast, leading to widespread gas shortages affecting its industry and daily life.

Eng> No money to Pakistan on freeze due to Bs from the courpt gov and block nato routes and Pakistan and its people say to the US stick it in your A$$ simply lolz just my version.

Yep that is the best gift they can give us on NEW YEAR EVE................ Love u guys atleast u want good for us.

Stop every bloody aid and everything loan from IMF and WORLD BANK. I will personally will be very very thankful to u.

I know we will go down after that but i think we are capable enough to withstand that impact.We can stand on our feet once again. This year is going to be a difficult one for Pakistan .

Long Live Pakistan and its People. :pakistan:

better late then never

thankyou USA for taking the step our govt should have taken much much before

This is something inevitable. Whenever aid has stopped our nation has grown economically and got stronger. Look at the mid 1990s and how we responded. The aid they give is a futile gesture to please our corrupt leaders. It has been shown statistically that approx 10% of money given as aid reachers the coffers to be used on the public - the rest is enbezzled by the likes of Zardari. This is a disgraceful stat. I suggest they keep their dollar as we really dont see the benefit - in fact soon the US will be needing themselves as their nation continues the road to bankrupty

The title is wrong. Proper title should be

US freezes bribes to puppets in Pakistan

You have a wonderful way with words. That just about sums it up. The ten years after the last sanctions in the 90s the following ten years we churned out JF17, Al Khalid, Babur etc. I say bring on these sanctions. It is my belief that any aid that came was blood money and we were being paid to hurt our long term interests. In any event it is my assertion a lot of this aid went to corrupt political leaders

Khuda Pakistani Hukumrano k akl de aur awam ko hausla , man this is a very good sign for Pakistan , first the lng deu reassergence of Imran Khan and now this , hope the guy's at the top in pakistan wont let this blessing to g in wane like they did after Raymond Davis Affair

I think they are freezing only 60-70% of military aid which is usually the major chunk. Civilian aid is still supposed to flow through.

gr8 beginning to the new year, now the afghan war is really ending now

i hope the routes are permanently frozen

24 soldiers murder was a blessing in disguise not tht i mean im happy with their killings

thank amreeka for stoping AIDS , let make our country that powerful on day we will give amreeka aid.

I think they are freezing only 60-70% of military aid which is usually the major chunk. Civilian aid is still supposed to flow through.

They were providing the military aid for their own services so.....who cares.

Back
Top Bottom