What's new

Upper class or middle class?

Sky lord

Reaction score
Country
India
Upper class or middle class? Decoding India's class conundrum
In America, protesters shout: "We are the 99%!" Their point is that despite being a dominant majority, they are victims. Their complaint is that the 1% upper class in America keeps getting richer while their own middle-class incomes have stagnated or declined. They are demanding change.

What slogans should we be shouting in India for the changes we seek? I have been thinking about it and failing to come up with good lines for us Indians in the middle class .

Problem 1: I cannot find the middle class in terms of income. When you and I were in school we knew what we were. We were middle class, and middle class meant 'not poor'. There was an upper class above us (in my school it was that one fellow who vacationed in Singapore and Disneyland while the rest of us went to Matheran or Nainital). And there was the working class, meaning those who worked with their hands. These were the poor who were definitely below us.

Where have we gone? What I mean to say is: where is the middle class? It has vanished. The government has published data which reveals that only 1% of Indians pay any income tax. The majority of the 1% of Indians comprises those, like you and I, who draw salaries and whose income tax is automatically deducted. You thought we were middle class but a 1% segment of any population can only be described as upper class. So congratulations, we have been promoted.

Problem 2: I cannot find the upper class that is cultured. Now, like you, I like the thought of being upper class. Unfortunately, it comes with some obligations and responsibilities. The classical music and high culture of all civilized nations is preserved and patronized by its upper class. In New York and London, the aristocracy flocks to the symphonies and operas, the art galleries and the museums. Tickets to these are, as many of you will have experienced, very expensive.

What about India's high culture? Our classical musicians must perform at free or 'sponsored' concerts because the audience does not pay for tickets. Tens of millions of Indians who regularly pay Rs 300 for a Bollywood movie have never paid that, and will never pay that, for a classical concert or an art exhibition or a museum ticket.

Also, look at our general sense of aesthetics: we have the most ugly urban spaces and buildings. This is definitely not the product of a cultured and educated class.

Problem 3: I cannot find an educated class that is progressive. We continue, even in 2016, to have regressive laws, like bans on cow slaughter, and paranoid laws, like bans on inaccurate maps. One reason is that there is no real opposition to stupidity in India. The unhinged and the irrational always win here. Truth forever on the scaffold, wrong forever on the throne. This is because there are insufficient numbers standing up for what is rational, what is humane, and pressing for moderation. It takes an upper class to dissociate itself from things that concern its own benefit and push for greater good. Where is such a class in India? Not in Parliament, not in our offices and not in the studios of news channels. Indeed, the most rabid perspective on traditionally blue-collar issues like nationalism comes from these upper class places.

Problem 4: If all the civilized classes are missing in India, what are we composed of?Clearly, and I hope I have demonstrated this, we have no economic middle class, no cultural upper class and no educated progressive class in India.
So then what are we? Who are we?

This is a most difficult question to answer. The theorists of communism conceived of a vanguard, an elite and informed class that would take charge of change in society. They assumed such a class existed in all nations, but where is this class here? I cannot see it and the government's data does not reveal where it is either. If we are to progress in India, which group should we be actively mobilizing?

That returns us to the problem of our rallying cry. The numbers suggest our slogan for change should be: "We are the 1%!"

But for some reason it doesn't have the same ring to it.

By Aakar Patel

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...dias-class-conundrum/articleshow/52488082.cms

I really like the division of society into classes. Its really practical and reflects the ground reality. This approach is best for solving problems. Viewing in terms of nation, race or any other such unifying quality is misleading. People are really similar and different through their incomes.
Having said that i see the future world divided into two main classes. One will be the scholars and such kind who like to study things and research stuff. These we can call the scientifically oriented people. They like to learn things and dedicate their lives for this purpose. They have a comfortable income. Dont have any problem with bread and butter. Just sit in their study or lawn all their free time and read.
Others class will be the one who chase after life. Want to get rich. Want to enjoy the things life has to offer and actively seek them.
So basically i am dividing it into the philosophical types and the pleasure seeker types. And i think these two wont be able to live together.

India and China have the biggest Middle class in the world. Where did the author come up with "only 1 %" of India's population?

http://www.business-standard.com/ar...264-million-credit-suisse-115102900181_1.html

Credit Suisse says 3% of the worlds middle class belong to India.

Also, the definition of middle class is very plastic.

Can the OP share the definition of middle class used in the above calculation of "1% of India's population is middle class"

I am especially interested in problem no 2.

There is a lot of interest in the classical art forms esp. In the South. Most middle class girls, regardless of their native talent, spend at least a few years learning dance or music. And all of us have sat through "talent shows" where proud parents force a captive audience of friends and relatives to clap for their completely talent-free wards.

However, the middle class are loathe to pay good money to go and see a professionally produced play or dance performance. It has to be for free or next to free. At the same time we have no problems dishing out RS. 300 to see the body waxed duffer Salman Khan take his shirt off and do pelvic thrusts at the camera in some completely inane movie. (Apologies to Salman Khan fans...but I can't stand the duffer and I am entitled to my opinion).

I hope that somebody somewhere designs designated areas in cities for a little more cultural entertainment. Plays, shows, dining, musicals and the like. There are enough people who appreciate the nicer things in life and It would really give folk something to do other than drink every evening!

India and China have the biggest Middle class in the world. Where did the author come up with "only 1 %" of India's population?

http://www.business-standard.com/ar...264-million-credit-suisse-115102900181_1.html

Can the OP share the definition of middle class used in the above calculation of "1% of India's population is middle class"
I think he meant people who pay taxes....if you know the history of this author , he has a bee in his bonnet about Indians being reluctant tax payers.

If only 1% pay taxes then only 1% can be called middle class....obviously that is not true estimate...as the Indian tax net is very narrow and many who should pay income tax do not....sales tax OTH everyone pays.

It is indeed the new aspiring non tax paying classes that has pushed much recent change.

I am especially interested in problem no 2.

There is a lot of interest in the classical art forms esp. In the South. Most middle class girls, regardless of their native talent, spend at least a few years learning dance or music. And all of us have sat through "talent shows" where proud parents force a captive audience of friends and relatives to clap for their completely talent-free wards.

However, the middle class are loathe to pay good money to go and see a professionally produced play or dance performance. It has to be for free or next to free. At the same time we have no problems dishing out RS. 300 to see the body waxed duffer Salman Khan take his shirt off and do pelvic thrusts at the camera in some completely inane movie. (Apologies to Salman Khan fans...but I can't stand the duffer and I am entitled to my opinion).

I hope that somebody somewhere designs designated areas in cities for a little more cultural entertainment. Plays, shows, dining, musicals and the like. There are enough people who appreciate the nicer things in life and It would really give folk something to do other than drink every evening!

I think he meant people who pay taxes....if you know the history of this author , he has a bee in his bonnet about Indians being reluctant tax payers.

If only 1% pay taxes then only 1% can be called middle class....obviously that is not true estimate...as the Indian tax net is very narrow and many who should pay income tax do not....sales tax OTH everyone pays.
actually cinema is also an art form and if you see current state of bollywood, many 'class' movies are being made to suit middle class taste. Such movies would not have any commercial success and only would have got some awards(produced by some art council or govt grant).

actually cinema is also an art form and if you see current state of bollywood, many 'class' movies are being made to suit middle class taste. Such movies would not have any commercial success and only would have got some awards(produced by some art council or govt grant).
Which goes to prove the authors point...where are the cultured classes? And why are they so unwilling to pay for entertainment?

Which goes to prove the authors point...where are the cultured classes? And why are they so unwilling to pay for entertainment?
which entertainment, people pay ticket to see cinema, dont they? what is so special about classical music ..a guy doing aaaaaa for ages, I know some guys got good lungs but come on.. am not paying my money for that... :)
why live theatre are more 'cultured' than cinema? a well made cinema captures whole gamut of emotions, facial expression, unspoken words, way better than melodramatic rubbish and a guy shouting at top of his voice...

ok... I agree, I am not much cultured.. lolz.

which entertainment, people pay ticket to see cinema, dont they? what is so special about classical music ..a guy doing aaaaaa for ages, I know some guys got good lungs but come on.. am not paying my money for that... :)
why live theatre are more 'cultured' than cinema? a well made cinema captures whole gamut of emotions, facial expression, unspoken words, way better than melodramatic rubbish and a guy shouting at top of his voice...

ok... I agree, I am not much cultured.. lolz.
I am shocked and horrified!!

You Sir, are a pagan! :p:

Try it dude, pay some money and go to some of those beautifully produced plays or the ballet in London....it is a totally different human experience to the movies! As for music, you have to understand music to appreciate it, otherwise stick to "give it to me baby ...yay..." :lol:

All in good fun dude. :tup:

The author Aakar Ahmed Patel is a well know writer who keep whining against current govt.

I am shocked and horrified!!

You Sir, are a pagan! :p:

Try it dude, pay some money and go to some of those beautifully produced plays or the ballet in London....it is a totally different human experience to the movies! As for music, you have to understand music to appreciate it, otherwise stick to "give it to me baby ...yay..." :lol:

All in good fun dude. :tup:
lol... am broke... even if had money to throw around I wont go.. I am not new to live theatre.. saw it in my village, very popular coz its 'live'... so when you see some bare skin.. you actually see bare skin... also people like 'dialogues' .. something that actors mouth and you like it so much you keep going back.. kya dialogue mara... :)
i dont like live theatre.. it can never be subtle, thats a limit of our ears and eyes and technology.. and to make up for the fact they have to rely on projecting voice and delivering 'performance'. Not a fan of that even in movies.

I still dont understand how classical music is better than any other music, some like it, let them go and see. I think its not worth the hype, you practice same thing for ages so that you can hit some notes at will, cool big deal, but I wont pay for any freak show.

lol... am broke... even if had money to throw around I wont go.. I am not new to live theatre.. saw it in my village, very popular coz its 'live'... so when you see some bare skin.. you actually see bare skin... also people like 'dialogues' .. something that actors mouth and you like it so much you keep going back.. kya dialogue mara... :)
i dont like live theatre.. it can never be subtle, thats a limit of our ears and eyes and technology.. and to make up for the fact they have to rely on projecting voice and delivering 'performance'. Not a fan of that even in movies.

I still dont understand how classical music is better than any other music, some like it, let them go and see. I think its not worth the hype, you practice same thing for ages so that you can hit some notes at will, cool big deal, but I wont pay for any freak show.
OK dude, I am never going to convince you. ..but there is something about getting dressed and seeing a professionally produced play ...a village play is a different category altogether...

I bet you don't like poetry either do you?

To each his own .

OK dude, I am never going to convince you. ..but there is something about getting dressed and seeing a professionally produced play ...a village play is a different category altogether...

I bet you don't like poetry either do you?

To each his own .
thats something to do with atmosphere of theatre.. the buzz, the anticipation, the people around you... not the content as such. :)
I dont mind poetry, if it rhymes.. I dont read them but if somebody reads it to me I will appreciate.. unlike other two over hyped art form, poetry is usually creative, bringing something new to the world.

Last edited:
Of course not just 1%.
The definition of middle class is not very clear.
Screen Shot 2016-05-30 at 15.07.55.png

The number of middle class in Asia(excluded Japan) has increased significantly since 2000s.
Screen Shot 2016-05-30 at 15.10.39.png

But it's still a long way for the developing part of Asia to go compared to their developed counterparts in Asia.
Screen Shot 2016-05-30 at 15.12.52.png

source: Allianz reports

Last edited:
Aakar Patel, sirf naam hi kaafi hai. :lol::lol::lol:

If any of you Indian members haven't seen this, please do. You won't regret it.

Modi Magic?

http://www.newslaundry.com/2013/12/17/modi-magic/

Editor’s note: There’s a mystery to this article, so be sure to read till the end.

On topic;

While there is no fixed way to calculate the "middle class" in India, there should be a new system to ascertain the actual number of poor. So while actual poor are struggling for 2 square meals a day, you have govt. officials, major land holders, and two bit local politicians and their pets pretending to be poor and showing their income to be zero, yes actual zero!!!

Aakar Patel, sirf naam hi kaafi hai. :lol::lol::lol:

If any of you Indian members haven't seen this, please do. You won't regret it.

Modi Magic?

http://www.newslaundry.com/2013/12/17/modi-magic/

Editor’s note: There’s a mystery to this article, so be sure to read till the end.

On topic;

While there is no fixed way to calculate the "middle class" in India, there should be a new system to ascertain the actual number of poor. So while actual poor are struggling for 2 square meals a day, you have govt. officials, major land holders, and two bit local politicians and their pets pretending to be poor and showing their income to be zero, yes actual zero!!!
He he he ...I actually read that till the end...very clever.....so this gentleman thinks that Sonia is the model for moral probity and Rahul for intelligence !!! :sarcastic: And dynasty is the best form of government !!!!:suicide2:

Anyways all his bootlicking got him a job as chief of Amnesty International in India. Nice fat dollar salary and regular trips around the world.

Leaving aside his self serving articles on Congress, his ideas on class, caste and tax evasion are actually quite interesting. He wrote something once on how caste actually works in India, it was pretty interesting .....and he was one of the few columnists who predicted the last set of assembly elections correctly!

Back
Top Bottom