What's new

United States Tops Canada in Shootout to Claim World Junior Hockey Championship

F-22Raptor

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United States
06juniors1-master768.jpg

MONTREAL — Troy Terry scored the lone shootout goal, Tyler Parsons stopped all five shots he faced in the tiebreaker, and the United States outlasted Canada, 5-4, on Thursday night to win the world junior hockey title.

The game was decided in the five-round shootout after a scoreless 20-minute overtime period.

On Wednesday in the semifinals, Terry scored on all three of his shootout attempts to give the United States a 4-3 victory over Russia. Terry, a University of Denver forward, is an Anaheim Ducks draft pick.

The United States won its fourth title and first since 2013. The teams met for the fourth time in the championship game, with the Americans also winning in 2004 and 2010, and Canada in 1997. Canada won the most recent of its record 16 titles in 2015.

The Americans twice overcame a two-goal deficit to force overtime.

Thomas Chabot and Jeremy Lauzon opened the scoring for Canada in the first period, and Charlie McAvoy and Kieffer Bellows countered for the Americans in the second. Canada took a 4-2 lead in the third after Nicolas Roy and Mathieu Joseph scored, but Bellows cut it to one with his second goal of the game, and Colin White tied it with nearly 13 minutes left.

Parsons made 46 saves, and Carter Hart stopped 31 shots for Canada.

The United States also beat Canada in their group finale on Saturday, 3-1.

Earlier, Russia beat Sweden by 2-1 in overtime in the bronze medal game.

http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/05/s...r-championship-united-states-canada.html?_r=0

Congrats to the Junior team! I hope the Senior team has similar success in Pyeongchang next year. We've come up just short against the Canadians the last 2 Olympics. I still remember the epic 2010 gold medal matchup in Vancouver.

This is a plain face - I am a calm man and will not react...

Back
Top Bottom