Unearthing Pakistan’s natural resources

Riseup

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Unearthing Pakistan’s natural resources

Abdul Zahoor Khan Marwat
Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Pakistan is blessed with vast land, natural gas reserves, petroleum, extensive coal, iron ore, copper, salt, limestone and gold besides other natural resources, many of them hitherto undiscovered. In fact, according to one survey, Pakistan has the second largest salt mine, second largest coal reservoirs, fifth largest gold mines, seventh largest copper mines, the country is the 11th largest wheat producer, 12th largest rice producer and seventh country of the world with nuclear power.

Two of Pakistan’s major natural resources are at Reko Diq and Thar. Reko Diq is a giant copper and gold project in Chagai district, Balochistan, in a desert area 70 kilometres northwest of Naukundi. Reko Diq is close to Pakistan’s border with Iran and Afghanistan.

According to experts, Reko Diq has proven gold and copper reserves worth US$260 billion and estimated gold and copper reserves worth US$3 trillion. Mineweb.com has stated that Reqo Diq “is believed to be one of the world’s largest reserves of gold and copper.... Reko Diq is believed to contain 12.3 million tonnes of copper and 20.9 million ounces of gold in inferred and indicated resources. Some surveys have suggested that Reko Diq may contain as much as 11 billion pounds of copper and nine million ounces of gold.”

Meanwhile, some experts believe that Reqo Diq also contains rare earth elements. These elements, which are even more precious and in much greater and growing demand than gold, are used in latest high-tech equipment and batteries for all electric cars, etc. It is China that controls 95% of the world’s supply of rare elements.

Thar coal is also a major blessing for the country. According to experts, there is 175 billion tonnes of coal available in Thar, which is equal to 618 billion barrels of crude oil. These experts say Thar coal deposits extend across the border and are currently being mined for power generation in Rajistan state in India. While they were discovered in 1991, for some time, the deposits were ignored as they had low calorific value. On the other hand, Thar Coal is environmentally friendly with a low Sulfur content. Things have now changed. The four ongoing projects of coal-fired power plants in Tharparkar would produce 2,300 megawatts over a period of four to five years. Four companies are executing the coal projects with a total cost of $4.7 billion.

Many of the natural resources of Pakistan have not been discovered due to various limitations. Some figures reveal that natural resources exploration is probably only 20-30 percent of actual deposit estimates. There is a need to develop a sound strategy to explore and utilize the resources. What we have should be used with great care.

Unearthing Pakistan

I think until zardari is in power it could not unearth

Pakistan has tremendous amount of resources, sometimes I find it hard to digest why Pakistan has not utilized such a blessing that has been given by Allah. Pakistan exports $200 million worth of Gems each year, which is peanuts compare to India who has dominated this market, because they have used there brains and have invested in Modern technology in extracting these minerals. Furthermore Pakistani dealers have not bothered to learn the art of cutting gems and faceting them to international standard, hence the value decreases by 80%. Some one in Pakistan needs to invest in the gem Industy, because if they will they will become a billionaire, if he know's how to extract, cut and sell in the international markets.

I think until zardari is in power it could not unearth

Even if Zardari was not in power Pakistani's have let there nation down. Let me tell you yes....... its nice that we have the gold mines and the coal mines, but you do know that we need a large amount of investment to start such a project, however no one in Pakistan realises the potential of the gem industry. This is not the duty of the government but private companies who have failed to grasp such an idea. Pakistan can export $1 billion worth of pink Topaz which are highly regarded, yet it's total export is $200 million a year. My point is why have none of the Pakistan companies utilize such a golden opportunity...in this regard we definitely need to learn from the Indian.

Even if Zardari was not in power Pakistani's have let there nation down. Let me tell you yes....... its nice that we have the gold mines and the coal mines, but you do know that we need a large amount of investment to start such a project, however no one in Pakistan realises the potential of the gem industry. This is not the duty of the government but private companies who have failed to grasp such an idea. Pakistan can export $1 billion worth of pink Topaz which are highly regarded, yet it's total export is $200 million a year. My point is why have none of the Pakistan companies utilize such a golden opportunity...in this regard we definitely need to learn from the Indian.

I will appreciate if some one from Gem industry of pakistan can spot light on it..

Private companies are afraid to invest due to unjust demands of share from local feudel lords. Specially Baluchistsn who is cryig for decades that they are poor but wont let anybody explore their natural resources without causing undue nuisence.

Actually pakistan has so much mineral resources that all the national debt can be paid off in metals...if not in actual money.

There was a geological surveyvof the mountains arround abbottabad carried out by students of post graduate college with primitive equipment and they found phosphate. iron ore and many other ores strewn all over the mountains. . . There ia an aweful.lot of unexploted. unexplored mineral resources out there in the mountains of Pakistan.

I will appreciate if some one from Gem industry of pakistan can spot light on it..

Let me tell you why, the reason is quiet simple, a lot of the Pakistani dealers and miners are uneducated, hence why we are suffering, they have failed to import modern technology into the country which can extract minerals without damaging it. The miners tend to extract the mineral, by use explosives, which in effect damages 50-60% of the material. Now when the gems are sold in the international market it loses its real value because the raw value is not that high and majority of the stones are damaged.

Furthermore in the gem industry or specifically in the Diamond Sector you look at the 4 C. The 4 C are Clarity, Colour, Carat, and Cut. Pakistani gems have the clarity, colour and the Carat but fails on the cut, hence why it loses out. Let me tell you Pakistan is so blessed and any person who invest in the gem industry will be rich, because the amount of rare gems are staggering. For example other countries who have deposits of Rubies only tend to get it from there domestic mines, however in Pakistan Namak Mandi has 4 types of Rubies, they are Tajikestan, Humza valley, Afghanistan and Kashmir. Each of these deposits are famous world wide.

To be fair India always had a head start on Pakistan, because within Gujarat it has some of the best cutters in the world. The reaosn is because even during the rule of the Mughal empire, they use to cater the Kings of India. But after independence it was the private sector that pushed the gem industy where it is today.

now as Pakistani's to improve our selfs, we can only do one thing send our boys outside Pakistan and learn the modern art of faceting, India is always a good option but the Chinese and the Thai are also very good in this game. Second we need to employ mordern technology in terms of extracting the minerals out, and the government needs to have a role as well by creating a better infrastructure. Third Pakistani need to export this to the Chinese market, who have a real appetite for gems, its in there culture. But once this is put into action you will see Pakistan exporting billion of dollars worth of gems each year, world wide.

Private companies are afraid to invest due to unjust demands of share from local feudel lords. Specially Baluchistsn who is cryig for decades that they are poor but wont let anybody explore their natural resources without causing undue nuisence.

Yes they are afraid to invest...but if they use there common sense then they should invest in Kashmir, such as the nangimali mine which some people have estimated has 40 million grams of rubies held within that deposit.

Yes they are afraid to invest...but if they use there common sense then they should invest in Kashmir, such as the nangimali mine which some people have estimated has 40 million grams of rubies held within that deposit.

Hazara and kohistan divisions are also good option for minerals prospecting.
very peaceful and not too remote.

Hazara and kohistan divisions are also good option for minerals prospecting.
very peaceful and not too remote.

These Divisions also have great potential.....heck the whole Northern idea is full of precious gems... only down size is no one has done a full complete survey, the reason for this is because unfortunately the government cannot be bothered and the Universities do not have the technology and the finance to exploit such a resource. However my best bet is some one should invest in Kashmir because that side has some of the most beautiful and expensive gems known to man. Kashmir Ruby is as great as the Pigeon Blood Rubies of Burma and they are the most expensive which range from a couple of hundred dollars to hundreds of thousands of Dollars for just one piece. But inshallah let hope someday some one will go towards this path. ANd we need to may sure Pakistani Miners are protected and not cheated from there hard work.

One example is when the Chinese come to Pakistan they buy raw Serpentine for 150 rupees, but sell it in China much higher. If you travel to namak mandi you will occasionally see Chinese buying 100 tonnes of raw Serpentine at 150 rupees per kilo....what a rip off. In Zhejiang the price of raw serpentine is 300 RMB.

Back
Top Bottom