What's new

Unbelievably intricate Temples (Must see!!)

Akshardham Mandir ( NEW DELHI)

most modern and largest hindu temple in India was officially opened on 6 November 2005
On 2 July 2001, the first sculpted stone was laid.

index.htm

20080715-231328-103.jpg

Designed in accordance with ancient Vedic text known as the Sthapatya Shastra, it features a blend of architectural styles from across India. It is constructed entirely from Rajasthani pink sandstone and Italian Carrara marble, and has no support from steel or concrete. The monument also consists of 234 ornately carved pillars, nine domes, and 20,000 murtis and statues of Hinduism’s sadhus, devotees, and acharyas. The monument also features the Gajendra Pith at its base, a plinth paying tribute to the elephant for its importance in Hindu culture and India's history. It contains 148 scale sized elephants in total and weighs a total of 3000 tons

20080715-231328-105.jpg

In April 2000, after 18 years, the Delhi Development Authority offered 60 acres (240,000 m2) of land, and the Uttar Pradesh Government offered 30 acres (120,000 m2) for the project. Upon receiving the land, Pramukh Swami Maharaj performed puja on the site for success in the project. Construction on the temple began on 8 November 2000 and Akshardham was officially opened on 6 November 2005, with the building being completed in two days short of five years. Built at cost of nearly
10px-Indian_Rupee_symbol.svg.png
200 crore

Akshardham_Dome.jpg

Akshardham Dome.jpg
central Dome at Akshardham in Delhi, India

The sadhus watched over stone work as well as the research on carvings on Indian craftsmanship from between 8th and 12th century. This research was done at various sites such as Angkor Wat, as well as Jodhpur, Jagannath Puri, Konark, and other temples in South India.

7000 carvers and 3000 volunteers were put to work for the construction Akshardham. With over 6,000 tons of pink sandstone coming from Rajasthan, workshop sites were set up around places within the state. Amongst the carvers were local farmers and 1500 who had suffered from a drought and received economic gain due to this work. The initial stone cutting was done by machine, while the detailed carvings were done by hand. Every night, over one hundred trucks were sent to Akshardham, where four thousand workers and volunteers operated on the construction site.

20080715-231328-98.jpg

swaminarayan-akshardham1.jpg

Musical Fountain Known as the Yagnapurush Kund, it is India's largest step well. It features a very large series of steps down to a traditional yagna kund. During the day, these steps provide rest for the visitors to the complex and at night, a musical fountain show representing the circle of life is played to an audience which is seated on the same steps. The fountain is named after the founder of the Hindu organization, Shastriji Maharaj. The fountain measures 300 feet (91 m) by 300 feet (91 m) with 2,870 steps and 108 small shrines. In its center lies an eight-petaled lotus shaped yagna kund designed according to the Jayaakhya Samhita of the Panchratra shastra.

fountain13f.jpg

Akshardham Mandir

20080715-231327-94.jpg

20080715-231327-95.jpg

20080715-231327-96.jpg

Akshardham_Lotus.jpg

This is a picture of the Yogi Hraday Kamal, a lotus shaped sunken garden, at the Akshardham complex in Delhi, India

20080715-231327-91.jpg

These have been added to my list of places I must visit.

Totally loved the places-
Maybe in next Pakistan India Cricket series i'll visit them-

i appreciate the heavy art and intricasy imployed in these temples and historical too, but i actually vomitted by seeing them for far away

crafts man ship is ultra awesome, but some how, they couldnt get the perfect design or more than enough detailing that they forgot how ugly they looked from outside

Women had massive breasts at that time...
Just an observation

(Sorry couldn't help)

The architecture is awesome...I wonder how much time and effort it took them to build such masterpieces.

134588915424be74dfb6bmo6.jpg

1004255125bb6d05a4c6b4gr1.jpg

10051654681b2ce887bcbti8.jpg

1005159122c5fcd4535dbug8.jpg

1005198316e65459b210b1nq4.jpg

Ellora Verul Caves (Houses Hindu, Jain, and Buddhist temples)

This is indeed a wonderful piece of architecture. I wonder how many of you know this: this temple (Kailasa temple built by the Rashtrakuta Kings) was chiseled out of the rocky hill top-down!! Workers started chiseling the rock from the top and worked their way through to the bottom of the hill to make this temple. The temple is made out of one solid rock! Most impressive is that they managed to carve out two floors while working their way through the rock hill!! That is what amazes me!

The Kailash Temple is notable for its vertical excavation—carvers started at the top of the original rock, and excavated downward, exhuming the temple out of the existing rock. The traditional methods were rigidly followed by the master architect which could not have been achieved by excavating from the front.[3] The architects found to design this temple were from the southern Pallava kingdom.[4]
It is estimated that about 400,000 tons of rocks was scooped out over hundreds of years to construct this monolithic structure.[4]

374874506348b1ba8accb.jpg

3184100354_948b42aeb8_b.jpg

32237582215d29758edfb.jpg

Sri Ekambaranathar Temple

800px-Tiruvannamalai_Temple.jpg

DSC_1053.jpg

thiruvannamalai temple

picture75hf1.jpg

picture74ri2.jpg

Trichy-Srirangam Temple

Women had massive breasts at that time...
Just an observation

(Sorry couldn't help)

The architecture is awesome...I wonder how much time and effort it took them to build such masterpieces.

Here is a recent example.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sree Padmanabha Swamy Temple,Trivandrum Kerala

The deity of this temple Lord Padmanabha was officaly the ruler of Travancore state from mid 1700s to 1947, the Kings ruled as reprentatives of Lord Padmanabha assuming the name 'Padmanabhadasa' or 'Servant of Lord Padmanabha'

ts.jpg

padmanabhaswamy-temple1.jpg

With the latest 'treasure' (amounting to 1 lakh crore rupees) find in the temple security is tightened. Even commandos are deployed. There are even discussions of bringing in army to secure the temple.

aptopix-india-temple-treasu.jpg

Back
Top Bottom