What's new

U.S. Schools Expelled 8,000 Chinese Students

Sneaker

Reaction score
Country
India
As tens of thousands of Chinese students prepare to study in the U.S., they might reflect on the experience of some of those who went before them. According to an estimate by a U.S. education company, some 8,000 Chinese students were expelled from American universities last year alone – and the main reasons were poor grades and cheating.

The estimate by WholeRen Education, a U.S. company that caters to Chinese students, was based on official U.S. data and a survey of 1,657 students expelled from American universities last year. More than 80% of these students were expelled because of poor academic performance or dishonesty, the company said.

The company surveyed students about their U.S. study experience a year earlier but didn’t make any estimate for expulsions.

The survey comes amid reports that federal prosecutors in Pittsburgh have indicted 15 Chinese citizens for allegedly taking part in a college exam scheme.

Stacked up against the huge numbers of Chinese students who go to American universities every year, the failure rate isn’t so bad, WholeRen said, though it does suggest a change in the once-shining image of students from China.

“Chinese students used to be considered top-notch but over the past five years their image has changed completely — wealthy kids who cheat,” said Chen Hang, chief development officer at WholeRen, which is based in Pittsburgh, Pa.

Two decades of rapid economic growth and a burgeoning middle class have given Chinese parents more resources to send their children abroad.

Last year alone, 459,800 students went overseas to study, according to China’s Ministry of Education. Most financed their studies on their own or had scholarships from a U.S. university. Only 4.6% of them were sponsored by the Chinese government.

Students from China account for nearly one-third of all international students in the U.S., taking the single largest share, according to a March report by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. Financially strained public universities are aggressively recruiting students from abroad.

Unlike American students who more frequently enter programs that fit their capabilities, Chinese students care most about the reputation of the school, trying hard to get into the top universities. But in reality they are not always prepared to study in highly-competitive programs, said Mr. Chen. More than half of the Chinese students expelled were from top 100 U.S. universities, the survey found. Cheating at exams, plagiarism and finding other students to write papers for them were frequently cited as the specific causes of expulsion, the survey showed.

In a commentary based on the survey, the state-run Guangming Daily said that the fact that thousands of students were expelled was not surprising given the large numbers of students in the U.S. It added that different education standards and different attitudes toward unacceptable behavior were partlyto blame.

It also said the problem wasn’t just with Chinese students that chose to go to the U.S. “This is an issue not just about students in the U.S., but about the entire higher-education system in China,” said the unsigned commentary.

–Liyan Qi

U.S. Schools Expelled 8,000 Chinese Students - China Real Time Report - WSJ

If anything there would be more Chinese Student being expelled

I don't think the survey also include data from Deportation (like working without appropriate visa) and student left on their own accord.

Overseas university always recruit Chinese student, as they are rich, some even have office in China and even school branch in China to facilitate easier student enrolment. They usually don't care if those student were up to it

As competition among Chinese international students for U.S. schools grows, so does fraud | USA TODAY College

"According to Zinch China, which recruits Chinese students for American schools, 90% of Chinese applicants submit forged recommendation letters, more than 50% send in fake transcripts and 10% list false honors or activities

In some cases, Chinese high schools may even help their students falsify their records.

U.S. schools don’t trust the GPAs of these students as much, because there have been incidents where their schools have faked the grades of international applicants

“I know about agencies back in China who have the SAT questions,” says Rebecca Shen, a Cal Poly San Luis Obispo student who also moved to America from China while in high school. “I know you’re not supposed to share the questions, but somehow they have them.”"

Plenty of foreign students get expelled from universities in the US.

Most are rich spoiled brats who just come because it's easier to get a student visa than tourist, the longer term of the visa, parents boast their kid's in the US, and travel.

Plenty of Asian, S. American students, even Gulf and Desis I know of because I was unfortunate enough to have signed up for the University's Muslim Student Association,

How do these Chinese students get seats in the US universities in the first place?isn't their English very poor?

COPY N PASTE doesn't work in the US.:haha: :rofl::omghaha:
This is land of R&D.

How do these Chinese students get seats in the US universities in the first place?isn't their English very poor?

If you have money, English is not really a problem.

In the US, you can either go Pre-U course offered by some University and then they will bridge into freshman in college. Alternatively, you can apply for one of those Associate Degree in community college, and bridge into Sophomore year upon completion. Both way you would bypass English test or even SAT (What I have heard)

It pretty much the same all over the world, in Australia, you have Diploma course offered by Uni and follow onto 2nd year, or foundation course which bridge into First year, and if you can't go for either Diploma or Foundation because of your English, you can always go for English class first, then proceed to either foundation or diploma course

And yes, Chinese Student in general have crap English in college...

I guess you are trying to say that they have no capability to learn English.
Not capability but background... Don't Chinese study in mandarin language medium?we indians even after studying in English medium our entire school and college life are not still fluent in English..How can Chinese who come from mandarin background able to study in america?Are the English testing exams like TOEFL made easy for Chinese?

8000/459,800 =:= 1.74% expulsion rate seems on the high side for me

These guys need to seriously consider about their overall capabilities iso wasting time money and their parents's expectations on going overseas to study. Its not just about English

I have friends who were very poor in English before going abroad but their hardworking and intelligence in their chosen field of studies have paid off at the end They can get the highest degrees in their own profession
In contrast, there are also Chinese or other people who have spent the majority of adulthood living in English speaking states but cant manage to write a few sentences of decent English

Afterall in the matter of English standards, China has a lot of rooms for improvement

EF English Proficiency Index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

upload_2015-5-30_13-24-33.png

upload_2015-5-30_13-23-55.png

images

Last edited:

One has to demonstrate that capability before applying and getting an admit, and honestly, their hold in the language is very poor.

No, of course not! They are very capable. I mean I've watched your English improve immensely in the 9 months I've been on PDF. I remember taunting you for your poor English. But look at you now. Your English is almost flawless. Makes me wonder if it's the same person or someone else took over the account. I know you want to keep up the pretense of being a "real American" with an inordinate interest Indian affairs but this is a genuine compliment. You've done an amazing job with your English skills. :tup:

Back
Top Bottom