What's new

U.S. Election Postscript: the Despairing Expat View

This is unclear.

Council pay in Vernon, Inglewood and Compton is high, but Bell is still No. 1 - Los Angeles Times
Council pay in Vernon, Inglewood and Compton is high, but Bell is still No. 1
Of 25 charter cities in Los Angeles County, fewer than half paid their council members more than $20,000 a year. Meanwhile, Inglewood was paying $61,884; Vernon, $68,052; and Bell, nearly $100,000.
August 15, 2010|By Sam Allen and Abby Sewell, Los Angeles Times
City council members in Vernon, Compton and Inglewood receive significantly higher compensation than most of their counterparts in Los Angeles County, according to a Los Angeles Times review of salary figures.

Council members in the industrial city of Vernon, which has fewer than 100 residents, earn $68,052 a year. By contrast, council members in Arcadia, a suburb of about 56,000, earn a maximum of $6,720.

The Times requested council compensation figures in the wake of the pay scandal in Bell, where three top city administrators stepped down after their outsized salaries were revealed. Four of the five members of the Bell City Council earned nearly $100,000 a year until they took pay cuts last month after a public outcry.

In 2005, the state passed a law limiting the pay of council members in general-law cities. The restrictions are based on population and range from $300 to $1,000 a month. Council members may vote to increase their salaries above those limits, but only by 5% a year.

But in charter cities, state law does not limit the salaries councils can set for themselves. After Bell voted to adopt a city charter in 2005, salaries escalated rapidly, records show.

The Times examined the salaries paid to council members in L.A. County's 25 charter cities and found none with compensation as high as in Bell. A majority of those surveyed paid their council members less than $20,000 a year; mayors in many cases earned slightly more than the rest of the council.

However, there were several notable exceptions.

Vernon council members work part-time and receive a monthly salary of $5,671, plus reimbursements for business expenses and healthcare benefits. The city also makes an annual contribution to council members' accounts in the California Public Employees' Retirement system.

Officials there defended the compensation, saying that council members deal with a unique set of issues because Vernon is a largely industrial city.

"They are the core leadership that oversees the city's important work," said Mark Whitworth, interim city administrator. "Are they worth their money? Absolutely."

In Inglewood, the mayor — a full-time position that has been vacant since former Mayor Roosevelt Dorn pleaded guilty to a public corruption charge in January — makes $111,300 a year. Council members are paid $61,884 a year.

In Compton, the part-time City Council members can receive up to $36,000 a year for their council and commission duties; part-time Mayor Eric Perrodin can earn $43,200. In addition, each gets a $650-a-month auto allowance.

Other cities on the high end of the pay scale include Glendale, where council members and the mayor can make up to $32,400 annually plus $525 a month for auto expenses, and Industry, where council members make up to $26,125.

Four charter cities — Arcadia, Lancaster, Signal Hill and Temple City — pay their mayor and council members less than $10,000 annually.

L.A. County's two largest cities pay their council members the most.

According to data released by the Los Angeles city controller last week, council members earn $178,789 a year, and Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa makes $232,426. A spokeswoman for the mayor said that figure does not reflect pay cuts in the last two years, which bring his current salary to $195,238.

In Long Beach, the full-time mayor earns $127,602.

City council members commonly oversee redevelopment agencies or sit on housing, finance or other special commissions. In general law cities, council members may make up to $150 a month for each commission they serve on. Charter cities may choose to pay more.

In addition to their pay, elected officials can receive lucrative auto allowances, reimbursements and deferred compensation.

In Bell, special payouts accounted for most of the council members' earnings; they collected five payouts of $18,895 for service on the Public Financing Authority, Surplus Property Authority, City Housing Authority, Planning Commission and Solid Waste and Recycling Authority.

"Bell, of course, is an aberration," said Patrick Whitnell, general counsel for the League of California Cities. "It's unfortunately tainted all levels of government."

The league launched a survey of city manager compensation statewide in the wake of the revelation that Bell's former City Manager Robert Rizzo was collecting nearly $800,000 a year; but it has not undertaken a similar effort for city councils.

State Assemblyman Hector De La Torre (D-South Gate) has proposed a bill that would impose a substantial tax on council members who receive "excessive compensation."

"You have to have some consequences for folks who go around the door," he said.

In addition to De La Torre's bill, which will be up for consideration again this week, state Sen. Louis Correa (D- Santa Ana) is proposing a bill that would require officials to post compensation figures online.

"I think the best approach is to put sunshine on these issues," Correa said. "I want to make sure it's all disclosed."

My apologies, I was fooled by a Chinese news, the so-called scavengers may be apocryphal, I apologize for my careless.

In fact, this news is used extensively by "Chinese intellectuals", to explain that the United States is how seriously the views of the taxpayers, so I think this may not lie, but the facts tell me that these people are so brazen, more than my imagination.

Last edited:
Chinese history has six Little Ice Age, which has considerable influence on the climate, products, and political

The six ice are...
This is fascinating stuff, some of which is mentioned in my history references but only tangentially. Someday I must take the time to examine these matters more closely. Questions that come to mind include, how much does this weather matter when so much agriculture was canalized, how did these ice ages relate to China's terrible floods, and how likely is it supporters of a failed dynasty would blame weather over incompetent leadership. (One always has to keep in mind the "face" issue when considering what Chinese wrote about themselves, yes?)

This is fascinating stuff, some of which is mentioned in my history references but only tangentially. Someday I must take the time to examine these matters more closely. Questions that come to mind include, how much does this weather matter when so much agriculture was canalized, how did these ice ages relate to China's terrible floods, and how likely is it supporters of a failed dynasty would blame weather over incompetent leadership. (One always has to keep in mind the "face" issue when considering what Chinese wrote about themselves, yes?)

Although China has a "face" issue, but your view is not accurate .

1, the ancient Chinese never knew ice age, no such theory, this view was first proposed by a famous meteorologist - "竺可桢" in 1950. He made this comparison chart.

??5000??????????_无欲则刚_气候变化_王朝兴衰_拉马得雷冷相位_???_????

2, the ancient Chinese dynasties did not blame the weather to replace the incompetence rulers , on the contrary, they think that "heaven disaster" is because of rulers of incompetence, greed, corruption and all that they lost the favor by "sky(上天)" and so “sky(上天)”" down to disaster punish them, so that other people have the ability to replace his rule. This is contrary with your "face" view.

Last edited:
The other, my other replies already included those elements, but it is in Chinese, you may not understand, but those elements too Chinese, so it is very difficult to translate, sorry.

There is a face issue for all history, not the least of which is the American slaughter of the natives, slavery, imperialism in latin america, wars for oil starting in the 50's, overthrow of democratic governments, support of feudal monarchies, etc. Chinese history is very objective compared to that of the US. Also, flooding is not based on canals but due to the Yellow River changing course every few hundred years in the days before dams were invented.

I also have a question, can you answer? What are your views on Chinese history? What is your impression?
That unlike many other cultures, the Chinese people are ultimately stronger than their rulers; the Chinese can be temporarily cowed, but their industry and culture eventually triumph. Neither the Mongols nor the Manchus nor Mao could change that.

The danger, of course, is that this attitude can breed the kind of insularity and bigotry throughout Chinese society that in turn supports imperialism, which both breeds corruption and suppresses (or redirects into destructive violence) the natural creative and productive impulses of the Chinese people. After an invasion or revolution the cycle starts over again...

There is a face issue for all history, not the least of which is the American slaughter of the natives, slavery, imperialism in latin america, wars for oil starting in the 50's, overthrow of democratic governments, support of feudal monarchies, etc.
The U.S. has done all those things but I'm not aware of any "face" issue involved, at least not to the extent "face" is important in Japan and China.

Also, flooding is not based on canals but due to the Yellow River changing course every few hundred years in the days before dams were invented.
Canals need maintenance and when imperial control broke down canals could fail and flood, famine, and disease result.

That unlike many other cultures, the Chinese people are ultimately stronger than their rulers; the Chinese can be temporarily cowed, but their industry and culture eventually triumph. Neither the Mongols nor the Manchus nor Mao could change that.

The danger, of course, is that this attitude can breed the kind of insularity and bigotry throughout Chinese society that in turn supports imperialism, which both breeds corruption and suppresses (or redirects into destructive violence) the natural creative and productive impulses of the Chinese people. After an invasion or revolution the cycle starts over again...

I can see that you have some understanding of Chinese history. Even some wrong ideas, but also in a certain range, not unexpected. So I decided to believe it is because you do not know enough about, but not malicious. If you want to know more Chinese history, I will briefly explain your mistakes, of course, you can take it pass.

http://www.wz-newsline.de/?redid=206005

Former German Chancellor Helmut Schmidt

If someone asks you, China is not pursuing expansionist policies, you always say, this country has never had such a policy to pursue.

Schmidt: No, I do not think so. But this is China's large population are related. In Europe, only one million, twelve million or fifteen million people, China has a population of hundreds of millions. A populous country. Meanwhile, the state emerged in Europe in the past one thousand years, that is from the UK after 1066 or later King Ludwig I said, our national language in Europe is also divided.

Each country has its own language. Sometimes use different words. In the 20th century, Croats and Serbs are in the same state of Yugoslavia. When the exchange between them with each other can understand, but they can not understand each other's newspapers. Because the Serbian Cyrillic alphabet is the language used, and Croatia with the Latin alphabet.

Instead, hundreds of millions of population are the same word used, even if some people do not read or write. And the Chinese people is a huge local governors and the emperor has the right to compete between the countries. Engage in expansion, not a crusade for empire, such behavior may be due to a large population reasons.

In that glorious centuries, Chinese not only very clear the vast territory of China, but also in culture and civilization of the leading position. So, if they go to oppress other nations, that will be discounted to their pride. I said this time is that until 1500. At that time China is the center of the empire. Ancient Chinese people is so declared.

Other people are barbarians in their eyes, if foreign capital occasionally to their tribute to kowtow and then go home, is enough. Chinese people to let foreigners know that China is big country, but other countries only marginal phenomenon. This is not just cultural self-confidence, could lead to a very large extent, Chinese people do not pursue the policy of the imperialist-style.

They are different with the Romans, with the Athens Federation and other cultures are also different. Even the Egyptians have tried to extend their rule to Iraq or Persia. Chinese people do not advocate the expansion, there was only twice exception.

Last edited:
More specifically,

1, the ancient Chinese history has proven that although we are not all good record, but we are the best in all the empire, and China more power, we are the more modest, no big expansion of intentions. And ancient China to spread advanced culture to the surrounding ethnic minority regions, such as southern China, Tibet, Korea, Vietnam, Japan, we do not stingy. Even if we are strong, we do not have big support for the Western colonial imperialism. Even you know that different ethnic Arabs, Persians and Jews have not been any discrimination in ancient China, they are safe and stable life. All of your so-called "imperialism" is too large error in the Chinese history. May be you are referring to modern China, well, I will go for another description.

2, China's culture in a self-protection and closed state, welcomed the impact of western culture in 1840, experienced a failure and humiliation, the Chinese people began to reflect on our own, especially in culture, which is the origin, it is not from mao. If you know China's "New Culture" and the "May Fourth" Movement in 1919, this is a modern origin, in order to get rid of backwardness and imperialist oppression. China's culture is not everything is good, there are a lot of very backward traditions and ideas, they are deeply rooted in Chinese society, is not conducive to progress in China, we have some similar and now India, in the vast backward areas in a few decades ago, I suggest you get to know some Indian things, then you can better understand China. If you're just a completely Western and Chinese government propaganda, we can not even discuss the MAO, too many and too complex, just telling you, MAO to China with some large confusion and destruction, and then he also brought great change. This is enough.

3, modern Chinese nationalism, what do you think of this reason, Chinese nationalism is a simple rebound in the West bias and malicious. We do not believe the West, but it is not the same as 20 years ago, do you think that what happened, you also believe that the Chinese government propaganda? Chinese people do not have enough information? Then, I do not say anything, you get what you think. In any case, the Chinese nation is an open and tolerant nation, if we are difficult times, it may be no big difference with other people. However, if we are strong, we become stronger and we will be more tolerant, which runs through the history of China, in 5000. China is not a national country, but a civilized country, know what we really need.

If you are worried about China, you'd better worry about the West to pick a candidate for "re-colonization 300 years," it is a new stimulus to the national feelings of the Chinese people.

Last edited:
I can see that you have some understanding of Chinese history. Even some wrong ideas, but also in a certain range, not unexpected.
I consider this very high praise. Thank you very much. I do not think I will ever grasp China as much as I wish, if only because I lack both skill in the language (I believe a particular language enforces a kind of conformity of mind) and the time to do so; but I have tried.

I am not sure "imperialism" is the right word; perhaps "domination" and "warlordism" are better? I do not fully grasp the moral foundation of Chinese decision-making. It is not religious in the Western or Islamic sense. Citing Confucius seems inadequate. So I am not surprised that government corruption is a big problem in China. And I do perceive that China tries to enlarge itself and its influence at the expense of its neighbors or subject peoples. It is not like the U.S. which (willingly or not) wields influence because peoples look to it for economic and cultural leadership via mutual growth, but something more crude.

I consider this very high praise. Thank you very much. I do not think I will ever grasp China as much as I wish, if only because I lack both skill in the language (I believe a particular language enforces a kind of conformity of mind) and the time to do so; but I have tried.

I am not sure "imperialism" is the right word; perhaps "domination" and "warlordism" are better? I do not fully grasp the moral foundation of Chinese decision-making. It is not religious in the Western or Islamic sense. Citing Confucius seems inadequate. So I am not surprised that government corruption is a big problem in China. And I do perceive that China tries to enlarge itself and its influence at the expense of its neighbors or subject peoples. It is not like the U.S. which (willingly or not) wields influence because peoples look to it for economic and cultural leadership via mutual growth, but something more crude.

Frank point, appreciation for you, China will certainly go own way, Chinese people need more rights, no doubt, but to our way.

I also hope you succeed to know more about Chinese culture, in fact, ancient chinese Jews have been able to integrated in Chinese culture, you also can certainly succeed with a deep understanding. My personal point that to understand a different culture that is a happy thing, so I hope you feel happy.

sorry, my English is not good.

Last edited:

why did japan invade other countries during WW2? It was chinese thinking combined with european style colonialism that led to it. The "problem" was defined in chinese terms, but the "solution" was given in european ones.

Problem: growing population, low natural resources, already conquered weak states nearby, economic downturn, what to do next?

The answer in Chinese history has usually been internal reform, which, if failed, resulted in a government collapse when the people overthrew the government (note that people in the West rarely overthrow their own governments even in feudal days).

The answer for Japan, however, because they looked to Europe, was simple. Conquer the nearest, weakest major power.

See, you've found 1 thing, which westerners truly don't understand, but now i think you do: Chinese people have never accepted bad government. We will rebel at the slightest provocation. Because we have not done so (a good metric of government stability is number of armed insurgencies, zero, and murder rate per capita, 1/4 that of the US), it is evidence that our government is doing a good job.

There is a problem with corruption, but it is a "definition" problem. Things that are legal in the US are very illegal in China. Obama can recieve 1 million USD donations while explicitly stating that his policies will favor the companies that gave it; if he was in China, it would be grounds for a 20 year jail term for accepting bribes.

Interview mit Helmut Schmidt: Wir sehen China ganz falsch - Nachrichten - Politik - Home - Westdeutsche Zeitung

Former German Chancellor Helmut Schmidt

If someone asks you, China is not pursuing expansionist policies, you always say, this country has never had such a policy to pursue.

Schmidt: No, I do not think so. But this is China's large population are related. In Europe, only one million, twelve million or fifteen million people, China has a population of hundreds of millions. A populous country. Meanwhile, the state emerged in Europe in the past one thousand years, that is from the UK after 1066 or later King Ludwig I said, our national language in Europe is also divided.

Each country has its own language. Sometimes use different words. In the 20th century, Croats and Serbs are in the same state of Yugoslavia. When the exchange between them with each other can understand, but they can not understand each other's newspapers. Because the Serbian Cyrillic alphabet is the language used, and Croatia with the Latin alphabet.

Instead, hundreds of millions of population are the same word used, even if some people do not read or write. And the Chinese people is a huge local governors and the emperor has the right to compete between the countries. Engage in expansion, not a crusade for empire, such behavior may be due to a large population reasons.

In that glorious centuries, Chinese not only very clear the vast territory of China, but also in culture and civilization of the leading position. So, if they go to oppress other nations, that will be discounted to their pride. I said this time is that until 1500. At that time China is the center of the empire. Ancient Chinese people is so declared.

Other people are barbarians in their eyes, if foreign capital occasionally to their tribute to kowtow and then go home, is enough. Chinese people to let foreigners know that China is big country, but other countries only marginal phenomenon. This is not just cultural self-confidence, could lead to a very large extent, Chinese people do not pursue the policy of the imperialist-style.

They are different with the Romans, with the Athens Federation and other cultures are also different. Even the Egyptians have tried to extend their rule to Iraq or Persia. Chinese people do not advocate the expansion, there was only twice exception.

Wow thank you for introducing me to the ideas of this very intelligent man. Using what little German I still remember, I went through the whole interview and his understanding of Chinese history is very very good, and very enlightened.

He is one of the few westerners that acknowledges Mao's liberation of Chinese woman and his contribution in freeing China from military impotency.

Back
Top Bottom