AgNoStiC MuSliM

ADVISORS
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
U.S. Asks More From Pakistan in Terror War

By ERIC SCHMITT and DAVID E. SANGER
Published: November 15, 2009

WASHINGTON — The Obama administration is stepping up pressure on Pakistan to expand and reorient its fight against the Taliban and Al Qaeda, warning that failing to do so would undercut the new strategy and troop increase for Afghanistan that President Obama is preparing to approve, American officials say.

While Afghanistan has dominated the public discussion of Mr. Obama’s strategy, which officials say could be announced as early as this week, Pakistan is returning to center stage in administration planning. As the president traveled to Asia, his national security adviser, Gen. James L. Jones, was quietly sent to Islamabad, its capital.

His message, officials said, was that the new American strategy would work only if Pakistan broadened its fight beyond the militants attacking its cities and security forces and went after the groups that use havens in Pakistan for plotting and carrying out attacks against American troops in Afghanistan, as well as support networks for Al Qaeda.

General Jones praised the Pakistani operation in South Waziristan but urged Pakistani officials to combat extremists who fled to North Waziristan.

General Jones also delivered a letter from Mr. Obama to Pakistan’s president, Asif Ali Zardari, in which Mr. Obama said he expected Mr. Zardari to rally the nation’s political and national security institutions in a united campaign against extremists threatening Pakistan and Afghanistan, said an official briefed on the conversations, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the talks were confidential.

For their part, Pakistani officials have told the Americans that they harbor two deep fears about Mr. Obama’s new strategy: that the United States will add too many troops on the Afghan side of the border, and that the American effort will end too soon.

Their first concern, described by officials on both sides of the recent discussions, is that if Mr. Obama commits an additional 30,000 or more troops, it will inevitably push more Taliban fighters across the border into Pakistani territory and complicate the South Waziristan offensive.

Every time Mr. Obama declares that the United States will not have an “open-ended” military commitment in Afghanistan, he fuels a second concern of the powerful Pakistani military and intelligence establishment, which believes the United States commitment is fleeting.

It is a concern that some of them say justifies Pakistan’s continuing ties to the militants who fight American troops in Afghanistan.

Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton appeared to fuel this concern on Sunday in her comments on the ABC program “This Week,” saying: “We’re not interested in staying in Afghanistan. We have no long-term stake there. We want that to be made very clear.”

White House officials have said comparatively little about the Pakistan side of the administration’s evolving war strategy, in part because they have so few options. They cannot place forces inside Pakistan, and they cannot talk publicly about the Central Intelligence Agency’s Predator drone strikes in the country, though they are so much of an open secret that Mrs. Clinton was asked about them repeatedly in meetings she held late last month with Pakistani students and citizens. (She refused to acknowledge the program’s existence.)

In his letter to Mr. Zardari, Mr. Obama offered a range of new incentives to the Pakistanis for their cooperation, including enhanced intelligence sharing and military cooperation, according to the official who had been briefed on the letter’s contents.

During Mr. Obama’s Situation Room briefings on his alternatives, those advocating a minimal commitment of new troops in Afghanistan have argued that the United States needs only enough forces to keep Al Qaeda “bottled up” in the mountainous tribal areas of Pakistan.

“You could argue that even under the status quo, we don’t see Al Qaeda coming into Afghanistan,” said one official sympathetic to this view. “And so an additional commitment of forces isn’t going to apply more pressure on our main target.”

Those arguing for a more forceful presence — including Mrs. Clinton, Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates and the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Adm. Mike Mullen — have contended that while Afghanistan is not now a haven for Al Qaeda, it could easily become one if the Taliban make further inroads.

American officials have praised Pakistan’s leaders for finally launching comprehensive military attacks against Taliban forces that have conducted suicide bombings in the capital, on the military headquarters and last week against a key office of the main Pakistani intelligence service, the Inter-Services Intelligence directorate.

But the Americans are now trying, as the Bush administration did with little success, to persuade Pakistan to do more, not just against the Qaeda leadership holed up in the country’s unruly tribal areas, but also against the Afghan Taliban leadership in the southern Pakistani city of Quetta and the Haqqani militant network in the tribal areas.

Representative Jane Harman, a California Democrat who heads the House Homeland Security subcommittee on intelligence and who visited Pakistan last week, summed up the administration’s frustrations and her own after meetings with senior Pakistani officials: “They are focused on who they think are threats to them. Period.”

A recurring theme in Mrs. Clinton’s visit to Pakistan was the perception that the United States and NATO forces are drawing down troops along the Afghan border with Pakistan. This, Pakistani officials said, allows Afghan militants to pour across the border into South Waziristan, where they become Pakistan’s problem.

Mrs. Clinton argued that NATO had actually increased troop levels along that border but had decided to consolidate about a half-dozen remote outposts into fewer, larger installations, because they were easier to defend. According to American military officials, the Pakistani military got no warning of the change.

So great was the Pakistani concern over the outpost closures that Gen. Stanley A. McChrystal, the top NATO commander in Afghanistan, made a special point during an unannounced trip to Islamabad after Mrs. Clinton’s visit to reassure Pakistani officials of American resolve.

“We’re stuck between not wanting to suggest we’re going to be there forever, but on the other hand, if we don’t show some kind of commitment, everyone continues to play the same game,” a senior administration official said Sunday. “That’s the challenge.”

If Pakistanis voice concerns about a lack of American commitment, they express equal concern that sending tens of thousands more American troops to Afghanistan could force Taliban militants into Pakistan.

“Whatever we do — put in more troops or put in fewer troops — they’ll freak out,” said an American intelligence officer who spoke on condition of anonymity to avoid jeopardizing his relations with Pakistani officials. But the intelligence officer acknowledged that the long-term security picture and the American commitment in Afghanistan were still unclear. “Look, if I were in Pakistan, I’d be hedging my bets, too,” the officer said. “We need to be much more convincing that we have a better game plan.”

Mark Landler contributed reporting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/16/world/asia/16policy.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

==========================

IMO, Pakistan will not expand the war unless it sees the following:

1. A long term US commitment to Afghanistan and some sort of measurable road plan for stabilizing Afghanistan.

2. Military assistance in terms of expanding and replenishing its military assets expended in the fighting in Swat and SW, specifically its air assets (Especially rotary).

Fred Kagan talks about the limitations in Pak Mil resources in his analysis: Pakistan and the Afghan Taliban: Military Considerations | Critical Threats

3. Some sort of stabilization of South Waziristan before even considering an expansion into North Waziristan.

Let us clean our country of your backed terrorists from TTP and then we will think over should we trust you this time and go against Pro-Pakistan tribal leaders or should we also change our policy altogather.

I think the second option is best for us.

US is really bent on destroying Pakistan one way or another.

I pray one day we get someone powerful & bold enough to tell US to shut up and first do itself more and then come to Pakistan and ask to do more.

Its literally useless and frustrating to talk about the US do more policy after reading such kind of press releases coming out.

I believe, If God willing we somehow did controlled these militants on this side, you guys know what is gonna happen is US will ask PA to come to Afghanistan and do more over there too as they can't do anything themselves. Its the high point of pathetic attitude by US.

Obama writes to Zardari, demands step-up in offensive

WASHINGTON: The New York Times reported on Sunday that the Obama administration was leaning on Pakistan to step up its fight against the Taliban and al-Qaeda.

Citing anonymous sources, the Times reported that Gen. James L. Jones, Obama’s national security adviser, was sent to Islamabad with a letter for Pakistan’s president, Asif Ali Zardari.

‘His (President Obama’s) message, officials said, was that the new American strategy would work only if Pakistan broadened its fight beyond the militants attacking its cities and security forces and went after the groups that use havens in Pakistan for plotting and carrying out attacks against American troops in Afghanistan, as well as support networks for Al Qaeda,’ the report said.

In the letter, the newspaper reported, Obama said he expected Pakistan to do more to fight the extremists threatening Pakistan and Afghanistan.

‘General Jones also delivered a letter from Mr. Obama to Pakistan’s president, Asif Ali Zardari, in which Mr. Obama said he expected Mr. Zardari to rally the nation’s political and national security institutions in a united campaign against extremists threatening Pakistan and Afghanistan, said an official briefed on the conversations who spoke on condition of anonymity because the talks were confidential,’ the NYT report said.

Obama is expected to announce some troop increases in Afghanistan along with clearer limitations on US goals for the war after he returns from Asia late this week. The announcement is expected either just before or just after the Thanksgiving holiday on Nov. 26. The post-holiday timing appears more likely, despite continued criticism from the political right that Obama is taking too long to announce his next move.

Two days ago, Hillary Clinton said something along the lines of: It has been made clear to Afghanistan and Pakistan that the United States will go to any lengths to ensure its objectives regarding Al-Qaeda are met. A couple days before that, Hillary Clinton said something along the lines of: Pakistan is aware that they need to expand and intensify their offensive against the Taliban further than SWA. Today, this news comes out, with Obama has once again asked Pakistan to "do more". Is the picture becoming clearer now?

I said a long time ago that Pakistan and the United States, fortunately or unfortunately, depending on your point of view, have similar objectives. We must collaborate to achieve these common objectives. However, similar does not mean same. At a certain point, our objectives were bound to conflict. We have to decide, as a nation, if we are going to do what is best in our interests, or theirs. It's a simple choice from where I sit.

We have sacrificed more in this war than any other nation, and do not let anyone else tell you otherwise. Over two thousands soldiers of Pakistan have been killed, and over 10,000 civilians have paid the ultimate price. On top of this, our economy has come to a stand-still, our social fabric is stained, our politicaxl scene is a chaos, and our international reputation is constantly stained by our rivals. Therefore, for the PResident of any other country to send a letter, not even bothering visit us in person despite the fact that he was in the neighbourhood, and asking us to do more, when he himself is in two minds about his future actions regarding Afghanistan, is absolutely ridiculous. From what I know of Obama, this is quite an un-Obama-esque move, it is downright shameful and dishonest. I believe that we are witnessing the beginning of the real AfPak strategy unfold, and I for one am not impressed. We will not be the sacrificial lamb, and if Zardari is to have any hope of gaining public support, he must let them know this in very clear terms. Either he stand up to them, or eventually, we will have to stand up to him.

Last edited:
It's about time we develop a very strong and aggressive foreign policy one that demands US / NATO to do more. Army will have to play a crucial role here yet again (which it is) because NRO dirty dozen are not only inept fools but only interested in milking more out of the Americans. I'll have to commend their foresightedness though cause their end is nigh.

In this regard, check my post in the following thread.
http://www.defence.pk/forums/u-s-fo...taliban-6-provinces-8-bases-6.html#post547967

US is really bent on destroying Pakistan one way or another.

I pray one day we get someone powerful & bold enough to tell US to shut up and first do itself more and then come to Pakistan and ask to do more.

Its literally useless and frustrating to talk about the US do more policy after reading such kind of press releases coming out.

I believe, If God willing we somehow did controlled these militants on this side, you guys know what is gonna happen is US will ask PA to come to Afghanistan and do more over there too as they can't do anything themselves. Its the high point of pathetic attitude by US.

US is not hell bent on destroying Pakistan. It has come to Afghanistan for some reason. Its fight was will AlQaida but Taliban was ruling Afghanistan which had sheltered AlQaida. But due to whatever reason these organization were or became part of Pakistan hence US interest in Pakistan.

US will leave once its mission is successful or if they feel Afghanistan serves no purpose.

US is not hell bent on destroying Pakistan. It has come to Afghanistan for some reason. Its fight was will AlQaida but Taliban was ruling Afghanistan which had sheltered AlQaida. But due to whatever reason these organization were or became part of Pakistan hence US interest in Pakistan.

US will leave once its mission is successful or if they feel Afghanistan serves no purpose.

Not at all. If you think that was the only reason US came to Afghanistan then such a simple excuse.

And if US thinks by using military means arround the world will defeat the ideology which once was created by US then not possible.

Hence prolonging stay in Afghanistan is only going to grow more fodder for anti-US, terror orgs like al-qaeda

Zardari should write to Obama - give us Strykers, MRAPS, AH64s, more NVGs, body armor, money for force protection of checkposts for FC, police and army. US is spending $1MM per year on it's soldiers in Afg. For a fraction of this cost, the PA can bring the fight to the enemy and accomplish more.

Of course, this will not happen, but one can hope.

Not at all. If you think that was the only reason US came to Afghanistan then such a simple excuse.

And if US thinks by using military means arround the world will defeat the ideology which once was created by US then not possible.

Hence prolonging stay in Afghanistan is only going to grow more fodder for anti-US, terror orgs like al-qaeda

Not at all, Neither Afghanistan or Pakistan are known for natural resources. US does not have anything to gain or recover its expenditure unlike Iraq.

If OBL is found dead or alive US would leave ASAP. Its loosing its soldiers and in Afghanistan.

Not at all, Neither Afghanistan or Pakistan are known for natural resources. US does not have anything to gain or recover its expenditure unlike Iraq.

:) who said they are here for natural resources if US was to attack ONLY for natural resources then it would have attacked Saudi Arabia atleast to get oil ;)

Are you naive enough not to understand strategic games or too innocent?

If OBL is found dead or alive US would leave ASAP. Its loosing its soldiers and in Afghanistan.

Biggest Joke of the century.

The entire anti-US set up is not dependent on OBL.

And if you are so sure then i would pray to my God that US should soon get the deadbody or OBL so atleast the region could be saved of killings

Saddam and his max ruling baath party members dead or captured, the bad guy of Mid East gone, are the US forces gone too or are they gonna leave in a year or two, no way. So if OBL is dead or captured (which i don't believe will happen for many years to come), US is not gonna leave so easily. Only another vietnam may do it.

And US had many other options to destroy AQ guys if it wanted to, invading Afghanistan was not the only option.

actually i have been wondering all this time, can you please must answer my this question??? as we know the usa starts all this bloodmess in the name of war on terrorists since 2001 and before this i never heard of this kinda operation anyway. isnt it an excuse for usa domination and military presence in the region??? this results in pak insecurity and as we see today. why pak government allowed this kinda operation make pak unsafety?? is there some collaboration between the interests groups inside and outside pak as you pakistani people with bright eyes may know well better than outsiders???
can pak simply reject this kinda ridiculous request that will push pak into the flames of hatred between the fellow pak people?? if you can, why you dont want to reject it instantly??? is there something the usa is holding to threaten pak??? will usa gain more than the present loss by continuing this hopeless occupation??, this always puzzles me,tell me if you are convenient, thanks anyway.

Back
Top Bottom