What's new

CV-18 Fujian - Type 003 Aircraft Carrier News & Discussions

Jump ski bow carrier may has it good point, no complicated steam catapult system and therefore no complicated system below, meaning more hangar space and less prone to mechanical failure since there is no mechanical in the first place.

With more efficient design and more powerful engine, heavy planes like AWACS may even take off from ski bow without catapult. China may just stick with ski bow carrier for future.

Jump ski bow carrier may has it good point, no complicated steam catapult system and therefore no complicated system below, meaning more hangar space and less prone to mechanical failure since there is no mechanical in the first place.

With more efficient design and more powerful engine, heavy planes like AWACS may even take off from ski bow without catapult. China may just stick with ski bow carrier for future.
But Mr Beast ski jump carrier is own limitations, fighter jets can't takeoff with full weapon load from it and also space is also limted

But Mr Beast ski jump carrier is own limitations, fighter jets can't takeoff with full weapon load from it and also space is also limted
We shall see, if AWACS can take off from ski bow. I doubt the myth of limitation of ski bow for full load will hold true.

That's why these carriers are just some temporary backup solution.

China already had the example like the Type 051C and Type 052C.

I would take the ski-jump over the steam catapult.

If the EMALS is available, then I would take the EMALS.

We shall see, if AWACS can take off from ski bow. I doubt the myth of limitation of ski bow for full load will hold true.
I take it you speak from extensive personal experience in naval aviation, specifically aircraft carrier design.

E-2 Hawkeye AWACS
http://www.navair.navy.mil/index.cf...form&key=FAD3E30B-AD5C-441A-8925-624BD0BA45F1
Weight: Max. gross, take-off: 53,000 lbs (23,850 kg) 40,200 lbs basic (18,090 kg).

F-18 Super Hornet
http://www.navy.mil/navydata/fact_display.asp?cid=1100&tid=1200&ct=1
Weight: Maximum Take Off Gross Weight is 66,000 pounds (29,932 kg).

A fully loaded SH is heavier at take off than the fully fueled Hawkeye.

The ski jump also negatively affects the carrier's aerodynamics. Believe it or not.

The ramp structure is an aerodynamic brake in front of the ship, limiting the ship's top speed and negatively affect fuel consumption at cruising speed.

I would take the ski-jump over the steam catapult.
Then you are being grossly shortsighted for your China.

Let us take a look at the the 'push-pull' relationship type.

If an opportunity in front of you offers a life altering experience, and you took it, that is a 'pull'.

On the other hand, if you look at your long term goals and decided you need to take a class, or a relocation, or cosmetic surgery, or marriage, or whatever, each is a 'push'. You felt the need to create an opening.

Did China saw an abandoned aircraft carrier and said to herself: ' That is an opening I need to project my power. ' ?

Or did China looked at her long term goals, felt the need to project her power somehow, and came upon an abandoned aircraft carrier ? If there were no abandoned aircraft carrier, China would have embarked on a venture on learning how to build an aircraft carrier anyway.

Regardless of which, now that China have an aircraft carrier, how to use it ? This is not about the Liaoning. This is about the aircraft carrier itself.

Now we come to two types of aircraft carriers: catapult and ramp.

China finally learned the shortcomings of the ramp, or ski jump. According to the Liaioning's take off ramp, the naval aviation assigned fighter J-15 is limited to roughly 2000 kg of ordnance. The American F-18 Super Hornet, launched by steam catapult, can carry nearly 3 times that into battle.

Here is something you do not know but must understand...

With such a limited weapons load, the J-15 will RTB sooner, which make planning for deck operations more critical. The USS Midway, built at the end of WW II, and the Liaoning are roughly the same length of 300-something meters. The Midway have three steam catapults and can launch an aircraft every 45 seconds. The steam catapult proved reliable throughout the ship's life, including service in Desert Storm for an average of 121 combat sorties per day. If the Midway had a ramp, that figure would have been higher, but would not be a point of prestige. Her fighters would not be in their assigned areas for long. Even if every bomb and missile was 100 % accurate, each fighter would have to leave when it can no longer support ground objectives.

Supposedly, India's INS Vikramaditya, with a ramp, can launch a MIG every 2-3 minutes. Again, the USS MIdway can launch every 45 seconds.

China maybe able to project her power, but when an adversary quickly figured out her limited 'combat tempo', thanks to the carrier's ramp, her ability to sustain her power projection far away from home may not be so effective. That does not mean the ramp is a bad idea, only that your ability to fight is always tied to your available resources.

@lcloo What do you think about this signal?

The deputy mayor of Shanghai visiting the institute 704; it is to praise their work for the coming Type 002 or to console them for losing against the EMALS?

http://www.sheitc.gov.cn/zxxx/671227.htm

Since slayerhuahua definitely looks devastated after the recent decision made by the big boss.

@lcloo What do you think about this signal?

The deputy mayor of Shanghai visiting the institute 704; it is to praise their work for the coming Type 002 or to console them for losing against the EMALS?

http://www.sheitc.gov.cn/zxxx/671227.htm

Since slayerhuahua definitely looks devastated after the recent decision made by the big boss.

I am no expert but the news mentioned a very wide fields from space, aerospace, ship building, ocean study etc, and the key words are joint military-civilîan development in all these areas. Nothing specific on aircraft carrier, but we can expect a new phase of development in Shanghai, may be a new high tech estate for military stuff.

I am no expert but the news mentioned a very wide fields from space, aerospace, ship building, ocean study etc, and the key words are joint military-civilîan development in all these areas. Nothing specific on aircraft carrier, but we can expect a new phase of development in Shanghai, may be a new high tech estate for military stuff.

What do you think about this EMALS vs Steam Catapult rivalry so far?

Updates
DkfHwYo.jpg
QA2T65Z.jpg

What do you think about this EMALS vs Steam Catapult rivalry so far?
I think there is no question that PLAN prefer EMALS but the big boss in Zhongnanghai would prefer more ships in water rather than waiting for a new tech to be available. So, if EMALS is not ready, then it is steam cat.

However, from the recent news, looks like EMAL development is progressing very well, so very highly 002 will be EMALS.

China nowadays is moving away from the traditional conservative approach in military development. We will see more and more revolutionary development rather than evolutionary development.

I think there is no question that PLAN prefer EMALS but the big boss in Zhongnanghai would prefer more ships in water rather than waiting for a new tech to be available. So, if EMALS is not ready, then it is steam cat.

However, from the recent news, looks like EMAL development is progressing very well, so very highly 002 will be EMALS.

China nowadays is moving away from the traditional conservative approach in military development. We will see more and more revolutionary development rather than evolutionary development.

I heard there will be a final contest between the EMALS and the steam catapult by the end of this year.

In this match, the catapult with the most efficient performance will be chosen by the Type 002.

Back
Top Bottom