What's new

Turkmenistan Armed Forces

Among Turkmenistan's military purchases in the last years, I can list these:

40 T-90S (10 in first batch and 30 in second)
6 Smerch
2 Molniya missile boat
8 YTKB patrol boat

BelGrad (Belarusian version of BM-21) and Smerch

KmIpr.jpg

wonder why they got smerch based on Tatra vehicle
did India not accept some systems?

I knew this was a little bit too much. :ashamed: Damn you @rmi5 :)
it's not too much. european countries, and japan, ... were spending no less than 30% of their GDP(most of their budget) on military about a century ago. We are also in a state of war with Armenia, and Iran and Russia are not friendly nations either.

17% of government budget, not GDP (that is North Korean level lol).
well, everything that north korea does, is not necessarily wrong. they are almost in a war, and need high military budget. our relation with armenia is not better than north-south korea relations.

Last edited:
Ok, but are you really thinking that it's 17% of GDP?

Your quote.

The defense spending for 2015 will make 17.9 percent of the state budget expenditures

Btw that is about 5 billion dollars.

Ok, but are you really thinking that it's 17% of GDP?

Your quote.

Btw that is about 5 billion dollars.
Obviously not.
As you have quoted my post, I never said that it is 17% of GDP. @xenon54 has maybe misunderstood it. What I said now, means that even if we were spending 17% of GDP on military for a couple of years, which it would be about 12 billion dollars per year, still it would not be a stupid act, by considering our needs, and our enemies, for freeing our occupied lands.

well in my view kyrgyzstan and tajikstan dont have real army , tajikstan use russian army to protect the country among central asian countries only kazakhistan uzbekistan and turkmenistan has army and their army actually were the former soviet army among these three turkmenistan use Military doctrine of using small but elite force so most of her military equipment remain unused btw turkmenistan dont have balenced army for example turkmenistan have handful of helicopters or their navy is weak or they dont have scud missile / s400 systems but they have good number of tanks / IFV and jet fighters 300-350 other weakness of turkmenistan army is that they dont have effective radar and their military base designed to attack iran this dangerously leave the other parts unprotected they should close some base and build new bases in other place

uzbekistan have good air force it's balanced and they have 30 million pop but kazakhistan has largest standing army and elite force they have most advanced military equipment

so i say kazakhistan army is the strongest army in central asia

i tend to disagree, brother. i don't want to kill your joy, but turkmen army was described as "undertrained and underequiped even by central asian standards" by some western defence magazines and officials. and saying kyrgyzstan don't have real army is ranting LOL kyrgyz army was responsible for 150 km of tajiki border with afganistan in 1993-98, during tajik civil war. it saw action in 1998-99 against taliban/islamic movement of uzbekistan. kyrgyz army is in constant border skirmishes with tajiks and uzbeks. it participates in at least 7-8 international military exercises annually. 80% of kyrgyz army is based on professionals, not assbeat conscripts. military units are trained by/with us, russian, turkish, chinese tier 1 sf and commando units. granted, tanks-wise we are worse than uz, kaz, turkmen (thanks to soviet threat perception and kyrgyz terrain being not suitable for armoured warfare) and in general uz and kaz are better than us, but we are definitely much more better than turkmens. turkmens couldn't even beat some ragtag taliban group of 50 militants not long ago and suffered casualties. don't forget iraq example. iraqi army, with all its shiny toys can't cope with ISIS.

@telkon

What do you know about military cooperation between Turkey and Kyrgyzstan ? and other Central Asian countries too ?

@telkon @ASQ-1918 :D
guys im not from turkmenistan gov i hop u recall that :lol:

i tend to disagree, brother. i don't want to kill your joy, but turkmen army was described as "undertrained and underequiped even by central asian standards" by some western defence magazines and officials. and saying kyrgyzstan don't have real army is ranting LOL kyrgyz army was responsible for 150 km of tajiki border with afganistan in 1993-98, during tajik civil war. it saw action in 1998-99 against taliban/islamic movement of uzbekistan. kyrgyz army is in constant border skirmishes with tajiks and uzbeks. it participates in at least 7-8 international military exercises annually. 80% of kyrgyz army is based on professionals, not assbeat conscripts. military units are trained by/with us, russian, turkish, chinese tier 1 sf and commando units. granted, tanks-wise we are worse than uz, kaz, turkmen (thanks to soviet threat perception and kyrgyz terrain being not suitable for armoured warfare) and in general uz and kaz are better than us
first of all brother i didn't say that to make u upset or insult u im really shocked by your post if im make u upset i apologizes , saying that didn't bring me any joy nor pride

btw all of this dont make u a real army it's not enough to go to war with such few equipment

countries like uzbekistan azerbijan turkmenistan kazakhistan are countries with small army
countries like iran turkey pakistan are the countires with medium army
countries like usa china and russia are the countries with large army

and there is no shame or joy or pride to say that cuz it's a fact i hop u get my reasons

but we are definitely much more better than turkmens. turkmens couldn't even beat some ragtag taliban group of 50 militants not long ago and suffered casualties.
does they could occupied part of the country does they still hold their positions ? what those 50 terrorist could achieved ?? your reasons is really childish terrorist will wait in ambush site to ambush to kill and run they vanished among civilians of Afghanistan there is no base there is no standing army u cant attack the village and towns of afghanistan and kill it's people cuz some terrorist hiding among them does usa could fully destroy taliban in afghanistan ?? ofc some turkmen solider will die but how many terrorist were killed in that fight ??

btw today iran is suffering from terrorist in border with pakistan does it means they are weak ?? if so than how saddam with his iraqi army couldn't beat the iranians

i didn't said something emotional i said some thing reasonable

Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world!

image.php

turkmenistan air force bunker

but there is serious issues with Turkmenistan's leadership. Something beyond even other post-Soviet dictatorships
it's no secret and i hop one day see it changed , but like as always say it's better than nothing look at kurds with such pop they dont have a country but we have it with these few pop we must try to make it better

Gurbanguly is sane compared to Saparmurat,
this is some thing give me hop to see turkmenistan with better future

Military investments are good for regional standards, but it seems that most of it are geared towards Caspian Sea.
it's wrong most money goes for air force and to the border of afghanistans btw turkmenistan navy still weakest in caspina sea and turkmenistan investments Compared to azerbijan russia kazakhistan and iran is still small

Last edited:

kizil arvat air port

balkanabat airport

turkmenbashi airport

dashguz airport training airplain

Turkmenistan to secure Afghan border with electronics
Installing an electrical monitoring system will help lock down the 744km-long border, State Border Service officers say.

Turkmenistan to secure Afghan border with electronics - Central Asia Online

In a broader definition, yes, normally no.

Interesting. For Mongolia playing sino-Russian rivalry is the way to gurantee they remain a sovereign nation.

In this sense Afghanistan is also interesting. It seats right at the heart where 4 regions meet i.e. Central Asia, Mid East (Iran), South Asia (Pakistan) & China although I have seen it being lumped as part of South Asia, Central Asia & even Mid East.

Turkmenistan wants to strengthen its army

Ashgabat, Turkmenistan, Nov. 5

By Huseyn Hasanov – Trend:

Turkmenistan intends to further strengthen its army as part of its military doctrine, which is exclusively of defensive nature, Turkmen President Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedov said Nov. 5.

The president made these remarks at a meeting of Turkmenistan’s National Security Council, according to a message from the Turkmen government.

“The Supreme Commander of Turkmenistan’s Armed Forces, the Army General Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedov instructed the Defense Ministry to work on using the latest technologies, military equipment, and training the soldiers in the spirit of devotion to the fatherland and the people,” the message said.

The most important aspect of Turkmenistan’s military reform is the modernization of material and technical sources of the national army, and its re-equipment, according to the message.

Regarding this, the President Berdimuhamedov said the high level of organization of the military parade in honor of Independence Day (October 27-28) demonstrates the growing potential of the national armed forces.

Turkmenistan approved a military doctrine, the essence of which has remained unchanged in recent years, including the defense sufficiency and the rejection of participation in military-political blocs.

Turkmenistan declared 2015 the Year of Peace and Neutrality. This is due to the fact that on December 12, 1995 the UN adopted a resolution recognizing Turkmenistan’s permanent neutrality.

guys lets talk about the thing turkmenistan's army needs

guys lets talk about the thing turkmenistan's army needs

Whenever you want to talk about your army requirements, you need to clarify what are your objectives, and strategies. Then we can talk about what is needed. Do you want to be able to just deter Iran and Uzbekistan or you have higher aspirations?

Whenever you want to talk about your army requirements, you need to clarify what are your objectives, and strategies. Then we can talk about what is needed. Do you want to be able to just deter Iran and Uzbekistan or you have higher aspirations?
well ofc we talking about defence policy iran is 80 million pop and their youth have nationalism and greater iran view if nationalism revelution start turkmenistan should be rdy uzbekistan is 30 million pop they have uzbek islamic terrorist group their president is very old sooner or later he will die if the islamist take over the country turkmenistan should be rdy for that too and the last threat is afghanistan west is leaveing afghanistan taliban has strong root there i hop not to see them in power but if this happens we must be rdy

it's shame to see turkmenistan army become smaller more than 5 time since 1991

well ofc we talking about defence policy iran is 80 million pop and their youth have nationalism and greater iran view if nationalism revelution start turkmenistan should be rdy uzbekistan is 30 million pop they have uzbek islamic terrorist group their president is very old sooner or later he will die if the islamist take over the country turkmenistan should be rdy for that too and the last threat is afghanistan west is leaveing afghanistan taliban has strong root there i hop not to see them in power but if this happens we must be rdy

it's shame to see turkmenistan army become smaller more than 5 time since 1991
OK, then if you only care for Uzbekistan and Iran, and not Russia, or having more inflence, you are not much lagging behind. A simple mutual military agreement between Turkmens and Azerbaijan and Turkey and Kazakhstan would solve your issue. If you want to be more self-reliant, you need to build a good modern air force, since both Uzbekistan and Iran have outdated air forces and one of the best solutions against an enemy with bigger size, soldiers, ... is having upper hands by using more advanced technologies and more modern air force.

Back
Top Bottom