Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Turkey may use Mitsubishi Heavy engines in new tanks
RYOSUKE HANAFUSA, Nikkei staff writer

20131227-Altay_article_thumbnail.jpg

A prototype of the Altay tank.

Turkey may use Mitsubishi Heavy engines in new tanks- Nikkei Asian Review

ISTANBUL -- Turkey would like to see its next generation of combat tanks powered by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries technology, its defense minister says, as the country looks to collaborate with Japan on a variety of military equipment projects.

Turkey wants to work with Mitsubishi Heavy to develop a 1,500-horsepower-class engine and transmission system for the tanks, Ismet Yilmaz told The Nikkei in writing ahead of a Jan. 6-8 trip to Japan with Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

20131227-Yilmaz_small.jpg

Turkish Defense Minister Ismet Yilmaz

Turkey is developing the Altay main battle tank with South Korea. Plans call for prototype testing during the next two years and equipping the army with the tank by 2016, Yilmaz revealed.

The country initially plans to buy 250 units and may also sell Altays to "friendly ally nations" with Japanese approval, according to the defense minister.

"Japan and Turkey each have their own approaches to exporting defense equipment and intellectual property," he wrote. "Export to a third-party nation will be controlled by both Japan and Turkey and based on an agreement between us."

Impressed with Japan's development of the F-2 fighter jet, Yilmaz expressed interest in other areas of cooperation as well. He mentioned the possibility of partnering with such companies as Kawasaki Heavy Industries and Fuji Heavy Industries to develop helicopter engines.

For its part, Turkey has developed unmanned aircraft. Yilmaz suggested that the two countries could "shrink budgets and timetables by collaborating."

He also floated the idea of joint work on infrared detectors, fuel cells for submarines and ships, and other technologies.

More than Heli Engine We Looking For
Korun istedigi bir goz Allah c.c vermis iki

Last edited:
They (article) although talk about the F-2 fighter jet. Japan's FX, also known as F-3, could be the platform for Turkish TF/X.

ISTANBUL -- Turkey would like to see its next generation of combat tanks powered by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries technology, its defense minister says, as the country looks to collaborate with Japan on a variety of military equipment projects.

Turkey is developing the Altay main battle tank with South Korea. Plans call for prototype testing during the next two years and equipping the army with the tank by 2016, Yilmaz revealed.

The country initially plans to buy 250 units and may also sell Altays to "friendly ally nations" with Japanese approval, according to the defense minister.

"Japan and Turkey each have their own approaches to exporting defense equipment and intellectual property," he wrote. "Export to a third-party nation will be controlled by both Japan and Turkey and based on an agreement between us."

doesn't the underlined part means proverbial "the strings attached"? japan is U.S.'s backyard, i don't think its such a wise decision.

doesn't the underlined part means proverbial "the strings attached"? japan is U.S.'s backyard, i don't think its such a wise decision.
Majority of land vehicles we sold to other countries carries US made engines i would choose American engine over German one any day specially when it comes selling troubled countries like Gulfies or Azerbaijan.

Last edited:
i hope they would achive agreement with japon. we really need engine. we cannot trust west.

i hope they would achive agreement with japon. we really need engine. we cannot trust west.

Cannot trust West? You are in NATO the largest western military alliance. Not to mention Japan has strong ties with the US. Any ways, I do hope Turkiye succeeds in developing domestic helicopter engines.

As Telkon said, Japan is heavily pro-Usa, if not the most pro-Usa country. We should be careful about this news and getting Japan involved in this matter.

Cannot trust West? You are in NATO the largest western military alliance. Not to mention Japan has strong ties with the US. Any ways, I do hope Turkiye succeeds in developing domestic helicopter engines.

It's off topic, so i will just say that the majority of Turks don't trust the west at all due many bad experiences with them. Hence Turkey is hungry for quick independency in the military field.

They (article) although talk about the F-2 fighter jet. Japan's FX, also known as F-3, could be the platform for Turkish TF/X.

80% Technologies would come from US/F-35 program if the program go smoothly including the initial number could even receive US Engines. Turkey wouldn't want it.

Don't put your eggs always in US and its close allies baskets.

@revojam, you must know that americans are more impressed with German Engines, their engine technologies and designs are already copies and based on German Engines.

@Luftwaffe I know i also support using German engines for our army needs but we are talking about export restrictions as you know we are running countless defence programs some of them even multi-billion and to relieve some burden we are trying export every product we make.Our own Altay MBTs will carry German MTU engine be sure of that but we are looking for second engine option for exporting Altay.

i wish you best of luck, and hope you get your engines soon, so we can start getting helis lol

i wish you best of luck, and hope you get your engines soon, so we can start getting helis lol
inşallah bro tayyip will go to japan in 7 january for cooperation of engines technologies this will reduce our dependency against west

Turkey wants to work with Mitsubishi Heavy to develop a 1,500-horsepower-class engine and transmission system for the tanks, Ismet Yilmaz told The Nikkei in writing ahead of a Jan. 6-8 trip to Japan with Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
Impressed with Japan's development of the F-2 fighter jet, Yilmaz expressed interest in other areas of cooperation as well. He mentioned the possibility of partnering with such companies as Kawasaki Heavy Industries and Fuji Heavy Industries to develop helicopter engines.

The government plans to embark on joint development of tank engines with Turkey under arms embargo rules eased in 2011, government sources said Saturday.

Turkey is showing interest in engine technology employed in the Ground Self-Defense Force’s Type 10 tank, according to the sources.

To realize joint engine development, Tokyo is considering forming a joint venture between Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd., which has developed the engine of the state-of-the-art tank, and the Turkish side, the sources said.

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe is expected to agree with Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan, who will visit Japan for three days from Monday, to strengthen bilateral cooperation in defense areas with the planned joint development of a tank engine in mind, according to the sources.

Deployment of Type 10 tanks has already started in Japan, with the GSDF planning to procure 66 by March 2015. The tanks boast high mobility including moving backward at a speed of 70 kph.

In 2011, when the Democratic Party of Japan was in power, then-Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda eased the rules on arms shipments to allow arms to be jointly developed and produced with other countries, on condition that they obtain Japan’s approval in advance when exporting the technology to a third party.

Under the eased rules, Japan and Britain reached an agreement last July on joint development of defense equipment and rules on arms technology transfer. Japan has long prohibited the export of weapons to communist states, countries subject to arms embargoes under U.N. resolutions, and countries involved in international conflicts.

Tank engine development eyed with Turkey | The Japan Times

Back
Top Bottom