What's new

Turkey’s constitutional changes? They're a threat to our democracy

Kuwaiti Girl

Reaction score
Country
Kuwait
#TurkishPolitics

http://www.middleeasteye.net/columns/turkey-s-constitutional-amendments-threat-democracy-846302312

The proposed changes will put the power of Turkey's legislative, executive and judicial powers all into the hands of one person

Today, what tops Turkey’s political agenda are the constitutional amendments that would abolish the president's ceremonial role and give him the most vital executive powers in the country.

There is no doubt that the government’s proposal for these reformss will lead us to regime change.

Today, Turkey is under a state of emergency; the cost of criticising the government and President Erdogan is extremely high. The private property of Turkish citizens – including bank accounts - can be confiscated at any moment. Our citizens are living in constant fear of being arrested arbitrarily. It is therefore important to understand that Turkey is attempting to undertake this constitutional change during a very difficult time.

use%20TurkishPresidency_03-01.png

The ruling Justice and Development Party’s (AKP) proposal has nothing to do with a true presidential system, for which the US is a positive and democratic example. Although the AKP claims that their proposal leads us to a presidential system similar to that of the US, there are stark differences between the two.

First of all, in the US, the presidential system is built upon a clear separation of powers. Neither the executive, nor the legislative bodies can terminate one another. Secondly, the president cannot issue a law without the approval of Congress. This means that the president is subject to checks and balances within the system.

Thirdly, the appointment of cabinet members and high-level bureaucrats in the US is subject to the approval of the Senate. Fourthly, one of the most distinct aspects of the US’s governmental system is its budgeting process which is independent from the president.

A hyper-presidency

But in Turkey, the situation will be very different. If passed, the amendments would lead to a transfer of legislative powers to the president giving him the authority to enact decrees on any given issue. He would also have the power to appoint the majority of the members of the Constitutional Court, Turkey’s highest court which, among other responsibilities, oversees impeachment hearings.

The president will also have the authority to appoint the head of the Supreme Board of Judges and Prosecutors, the body in charge of all judicial appointments. At the same time, budgeting processes would be completely handed over to the president. Furthermore, if a budget was rejected, the parliament would have no authority to correct it.

If this constitutional change is achieved, the president will have life-long immunity against prosecution. He will have the power to dissolve parliament, while parliamentary inquiries and votes of confidence will be abolished. The president will also have the right to declare a state of emergency without consultation with other government bodies.

In short, with the proposed changes for the Turkish constitution, the government aims to give most of the legislative, executive, and judicial powers to one person - the president, which would terminate any separation of powers in Turkey.

For this reason, it goes without saying that this proposal is an obstacle in the way of any democratic system. This is because the proposed constitutional amendments aim to establish a "one-man regime", a dictatorship. To put it more concretely, the proposal is looking to bring a hyper presidency to Turkey.

Away from democracy

The fundamental parameters of a constitution which the People's Republican Party (CHP) would support must maintain a parliamentary system, provide a system of check and balances, ensure an independent judiciary and guarantee civic freedoms, a welfare state and the separation of powers.

If the parliament accepts this proposal, it would open the way for the transformation of the Republic of Turkey into a one-party, one-man regime. Abolishing the parliamentary system, which protects the sovereignty of the country, would destroy the will of our people.

This proposal moves Turkey away from a democracy. It would eliminate the independence and neutrality of the judiciary. Turkish people could lose their fundamental rights and freedoms by the signature of one man – the president’s. CHP deputies will therefore consider any member of the parliament who agrees to the proposed amendments as a traitor to the Turkish people.

As CHP deputies, we have continued to express our concerns about the constitutional amendments. The aim of Turkey is to establish a Western-type democracy. We will continue to be staunch advocates of a liberal and pluralistic parliamentary system.

The Republican People’s Party is struggling to protect and preserve our people’s will and their desire for a democratic Turkey. We hope that we can regain our country’s bright future.

- Muharrem Erkek is Çanakkale province deputy for the Republican People’s Party (CHP) – the main opposition party in Turkey – and a member of the constitutional committee. Muharrem graduated from the Faculty of Law at Istanbul University.

#TurkishPolitics

http://www.middleeasteye.net/columns/turkey-s-constitutional-amendments-threat-democracy-846302312

The proposed changes will put the power of Turkey's legislative, executive and judicial powers all into the hands of one person

Today, what tops Turkey’s political agenda are the constitutional amendments that would abolish the president's ceremonial role and give him the most vital executive powers in the country.

There is no doubt that the government’s proposal for these reformss will lead us to regime change.

Today, Turkey is under a state of emergency; the cost of criticising the government and President Erdogan is extremely high. The private property of Turkish citizens – including bank accounts - can be confiscated at any moment. Our citizens are living in constant fear of being arrested arbitrarily. It is therefore important to understand that Turkey is attempting to undertake this constitutional change during a very difficult time.

use%20TurkishPresidency_03-01.png

The ruling Justice and Development Party’s (AKP) proposal has nothing to do with a true presidential system, for which the US is a positive and democratic example. Although the AKP claims that their proposal leads us to a presidential system similar to that of the US, there are stark differences between the two.

First of all, in the US, the presidential system is built upon a clear separation of powers. Neither the executive, nor the legislative bodies can terminate one another. Secondly, the president cannot issue a law without the approval of Congress. This means that the president is subject to checks and balances within the system.

Thirdly, the appointment of cabinet members and high-level bureaucrats in the US is subject to the approval of the Senate. Fourthly, one of the most distinct aspects of the US’s governmental system is its budgeting process which is independent from the president.

A hyper-presidency

But in Turkey, the situation will be very different. If passed, the amendments would lead to a transfer of legislative powers to the president giving him the authority to enact decrees on any given issue. He would also have the power to appoint the majority of the members of the Constitutional Court, Turkey’s highest court which, among other responsibilities, oversees impeachment hearings.

The president will also have the authority to appoint the head of the Supreme Board of Judges and Prosecutors, the body in charge of all judicial appointments. At the same time, budgeting processes would be completely handed over to the president. Furthermore, if a budget was rejected, the parliament would have no authority to correct it.

If this constitutional change is achieved, the president will have life-long immunity against prosecution. He will have the power to dissolve parliament, while parliamentary inquiries and votes of confidence will be abolished. The president will also have the right to declare a state of emergency without consultation with other government bodies.

In short, with the proposed changes for the Turkish constitution, the government aims to give most of the legislative, executive, and judicial powers to one person - the president, which would terminate any separation of powers in Turkey.

For this reason, it goes without saying that this proposal is an obstacle in the way of any democratic system. This is because the proposed constitutional amendments aim to establish a "one-man regime", a dictatorship. To put it more concretely, the proposal is looking to bring a hyper presidency to Turkey.

Away from democracy

The fundamental parameters of a constitution which the People's Republican Party (CHP) would support must maintain a parliamentary system, provide a system of check and balances, ensure an independent judiciary and guarantee civic freedoms, a welfare state and the separation of powers.

If the parliament accepts this proposal, it would open the way for the transformation of the Republic of Turkey into a one-party, one-man regime. Abolishing the parliamentary system, which protects the sovereignty of the country, would destroy the will of our people.

This proposal moves Turkey away from a democracy. It would eliminate the independence and neutrality of the judiciary. Turkish people could lose their fundamental rights and freedoms by the signature of one man – the president’s. CHP deputies will therefore consider any member of the parliament who agrees to the proposed amendments as a traitor to the Turkish people.

As CHP deputies, we have continued to express our concerns about the constitutional amendments. The aim of Turkey is to establish a Western-type democracy. We will continue to be staunch advocates of a liberal and pluralistic parliamentary system.

The Republican People’s Party is struggling to protect and preserve our people’s will and their desire for a democratic Turkey. We hope that we can regain our country’s bright future.

- Muharrem Erkek is Çanakkale province deputy for the Republican People’s Party (CHP) – the main opposition party in Turkey – and a member of the constitutional committee. Muharrem graduated from the Faculty of Law at Istanbul University.

Indian or Israeli?

Article with an agenda.

Don't be a little child. She has a clear agenda

Maybe but whatever, those who believe in erdogan will still believe in him, and those hating on him, will continue hating on him. We all know Erdogan is not perfect as any man in power and every side knows that turkey is locked with his actual type of gov and if turkey want to keep " turkey" you need to give more power to one man or one party. And if someone outside turkey is not happy, then so be it, it's a turkish problem. if they don't like it or him, then each one of them take their *** off and get on the street.

Let me rephrase so it resembles the truth.

With constitutional changes Turkiye will become unstoppable, further ridding itself from Western corporate chains attached to the country since its birth in 1923. Thus, the West, with its immense corporate interest in undermining Turkey's potential, will do whatever in its power to distort the reality and play on the note that "works": deligimitize Turkish political process and democracy by attempting to demonize the elected government and leader.

However, their attempt are to no avail. Industry has at long last taken off, our dependency on western markets are rapidly diminishing. We have realized our capacity to work with China, Russia, South Korea and more. I can easily provide data to support this arguement. Simply analyze Turkish total export/import value and destinations you will realize markets in Asia are leading today compared to just 4-5 years ago

Ps. Kuwaiti girl is a caucasian American woman who has settled in Kuwait, she has her own blog as well

With constitutional changes Turkiye will become unstoppable, further ridding itself from Western corporate chains attached to the country since its birth in 1923. Thus, the West, with its immense corporate interest in undermining Turkey's potential, will do whatever in its power to distort the reality and play on the note that "works": deligimitize Turkish political process and democracy by attempting to demonize the elected government and leader.

However, their attempt are to no avail. Industry has at long last taken off, our dependency on western markets are rapidly diminishing. We have realized our capacity to work with China, Russia, South Korea and more. I can easily provide data to support this arguement. Simply analyze Turkish total export/import value and destinations you will realize markets in Asia are leading today compared to just 4-5 years ago

Ps. Kuwaiti girl is a caucasian American woman who has settled in Kuwait, she has her own blog as well

You really believe all this stuff you wrote, huh? :omghaha: You believe Turkey was enslaved by the West (whatever that means) in year 1923 and not a long time before that? :woot: I won't even ask about all other stuff you wrote...

I guess you're perfectly happy with unjust pre-trial detentions, being presumed guilty until proven innocent, getting convicted of crimes you haven't committed, getting tortured by the police, having your personal liberties taken away from you, having all kinds of contrarian content censored, becoming part of a heavy-handed police state, etc.

Well, in that case, all I can say is, I hope you enjoy your new and "unstoppable" Turkey lol.

And what Western corporate chains are you babbling on about? Ataturk, the country's founder, was a leftist/statist. Turkey in the 1920s through 1950s was anything but a corporatist country. If anything, it's Erdogan and the AKP that have made Turkey more corporatist over the years lol.

I can't believe I have to educate you about your own country's history.

Oh and, by the way, five of Turkey's six major export partners are Western countries. The only non-Western country that's considered a main export partner of Turkey is Iraq. So, contrary to your claims, the Turkish economy is and will continue to be highly dependent on the West for growth and perseverance.

The economies of the Far East do not see Turkey as a main trade partner. Far Eastern countries care about two things:

1. Selling products to consumer societies around the world.
2. Buying energy from energy-producing countries.

Turkey is neither an energy-rich country nor a consumer-based society, therefore the Far Eastern economies aren't as interested in Turkey as they are in Europe, North America, and the Middle East.

Furthermore, I hope you realize that Erdogan's regressive and autocratic tendencies will simply lead to more economic stagnation in Turkey. In fact, this is already happening. How you have failed to notice that is beyond me.

Not only is the proposed new constitution bad for individual rights and liberties, but it'll also be bad for Turkey's economic prospects in the long term. Just look at how much the tourism sector in Turkey has plummeted ever since Erdogan went batshit crazy post-2013. Even foreign direct investment has decreased lately as a result of political uncertainty in the country.

Finally, I'm not an American woman. How delusional can you get? And why are you even fascinated with me in the first place? Are we supposed to get married or something?

Mr Erdogan, is definitely undermining democracy in Turkey, he is imposings certain rules that does not align with democratic principles.
He also can't take criticism.
These are testing times for the people of Turkey indeed.

Once upon time there was Zia ul Haq. And nation still paying the price.

You really believe all this stuff you wrote, huh? :omghaha: You believe Turkey was enslaved by the West (whatever that means) in year 1923 and not a long time before that? :woot: I won't even ask about all other stuff you wrote...
You are in no position to teach me history, better you stay away from such topics, save your broken english, smileys and straight forward thinking to your simpleminded fellows. The chains were not attached in 1923, but starting in the 1800s due to immense Ottoman credits, TURKIYE, however, was established in 1923 since you need some basic brush up.

And don't quote me again, i've got no time to educate people who are so easily swayed by the corporate media's depiction of Turkish democratic process and internal affairs.

I guess you're perfectly happy with unjust pre-trial detentions, being presumed guilty until proven innocent, getting convicted of crimes you haven't committed, getting tortured by the police, having your personal liberties taken away from you, having all kinds of contrarian content censored, becoming part of a heavy-handed police state, etc.

Well, in that case, all I can say is, I hope you enjoy your new and "unstoppable" Turkey lol.

And what Western corporate chains are you babbling on about? Ataturk, the country's founder, was a leftist/statist. Turkey in the 1920s through 1950s was anything but a corporatist country. If anything, it's Erdogan and the AKP that have made Turkey more corporatist over the years lol.

I can't believe I have to educate you about your own country's history.

Oh and, by the way, five of Turkey's six major export partners are Western countries. The only non-Western country that's considered a main export partner of Turkey is Iraq. So, contrary to your claims, the Turkish economy is and will continue to be highly dependent on the West for growth and perseverance.

The economies of the Far East do not see Turkey as a main trade partner. Far Eastern countries care about two things:

1. Selling products to consumer societies around the world.
2. Buying energy from energy-producing countries.

Turkey is neither an energy-rich country nor a consumer-based society, therefore the Far Eastern economies aren't as interested in Turkey as they are in Europe, North America, and the Middle East.

Furthermore, I hope you realize that Erdogan's regressive and autocratic tendencies will simply lead to more economic stagnation in Turkey. In fact, this is already happening. How you have failed to notice that is beyond me.

Not only is the proposed new constitution bad for individual rights and liberties, but it'll also be bad for Turkey's economic prospects in the long term. Just look at how much the tourism sector in Turkey has plummeted ever since Erdogan went batshit crazy post-2013. Even foreign direct investment has decreased lately as a result of political uncertainty in the country.

Finally, I'm not an American woman. How delusional can you get? And why are you even fascinated with me in the first place? Are we supposed to get married or something?
I'm not even going to waste my time answering this. Sufficed to say, you belong to the same group who come from "democratic" countries with an all-powerful president yet have the tenacity to claim and is "concerned" with Turkiye's democracy - all this without being able to read and understand a Turkish phrase.
As you don't possess the ability to analyze any form of data on your own, instead reading highly faulty and biased articles that "analyze" with a certain agenda. Turkiye's export is evidently being diversified towards Asian markets, who said far Eastern?

If you possess a human quality as concern, i urge you and your kinds to be concerned about the massive death, destruction and hatred your country has wrought upon Middle East with your perfect democracy. Brace yo'self ME have some fat American democracy!

Democracy is nothing but a wordplay when the chesspieces are put into place by those who possess power. The powerful can distort and manipulate with anything, can get away with anything, including collective terror, murder, rape etc. as long as they are untouchable. That's why terms such as "rights" coming from a person whose country is responsible for genocide in the 20th and 21th century is suited in a theater for a stupid audience. Not in the real world.

It's up to.turkish people whether to accept new reforms or oppose
images

Mark my words everyone - erdogan is going to be hanged in taksim square as a traitor when the time comes. We as a nation and people have alot of traitors inside us, but we always realise this too late.

Back
Top Bottom